Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. sdlnv

sdlnv Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been really happy with my GB12, it served me very well but it is time to part ways because it is now defective. I will receive a full refund under warranty.
    - Fan is dying: https://streamable.com/xixpr
    - iGPU is also probably dying, had stuff like this happen during startup: https://i.imgur.com/qRpzYU7.jpg and some weird artifacts typical of dying GPUs

I think I will replace it with a Dell XPS 13 plus a Galaxy Tab S4 for just note-taking. It is a real shame I cannot find a valid enough option to replace it with a single device...

Stuff I need the Dell XPS for:
    - It's probably still the best laptop in the segment
    - About 13"
    - Thunderbolt 3 with 4 lanes for eGPU
    - Decent CPU for what it is
    - Very portable

Stuff I need the Galaxy Tab for:
    - S Pen for note-taking
    - Very good battery life (at least 6-7 hours without stretching)

The other 2-in-1 solutions are either lacking thunderbolt 3, the S Pen, have uncomfortable hinges or bulky keyboards, lack battery life or have other issues.
    Why not the XPS 2-in-1? Because of the Y processor and because it costs more and I can't get much discount in it while I get about 500$ discount on the regular version, more than enough to buy the Android tablet.

2. Tablet Nostradamus

Tablet Nostradamus Pen Pal - Newbie

What kind of warranty is this that issues a full refund for defects instead of trying to repair or replace first? Or did you have to complain via Twitter or FB to the Samsung CEO or something? Would love to have this benefit for all my electronics.

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

in retrospect I've also had some of these issues with my SGB...so does that mean the bell is tolling?:(

I have turned it on/resumed out of sleep to flickering and distortion, but i chalked it up to drivers and issues with resuming from sleep..in my recollection it's happened maybe twice, and is not a regular occurence.

I haven't heard any grinding of the fan, but I did power it on a few weeks ago, and it was so hot it could not be used to ink. I powered it off and actually was reticent to use it. It sat unused for nearly a week. That has not re-occured, but checking the Samsung forums, there have definitely been complaints of overheating with the unit.

4. sdlnv

sdlnv Pen Pal - Newbie

Amazon :) They offered repair or refund as a new unit was no longer available.

Anyway the graphical issues could be software too, but my warranty was expiring and I didn't want to find out how good/bad Samsung is with repairs.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I looked at Amazon's warranty page and they only seem to mediate the repair through the manufacturer.

How did you get warranty coverage directly from Amazon? Was it for 1 year like a standard warranty period?

6. sdlnv

sdlnv Pen Pal - Newbie

The Amazon warranty page in my country (Italy) is very different, here we also have 2 years minimum warranty by law from the seller. This is in addition to the warranty from the manufacturer.
    If the time required to repair it would cause you an inconvenience you should be able to request a replacement/refund. It is not that easy in other stores though, it is just Amazon having a great customer service.

I think it should be the same in all EU.

7. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dam, everything's better in Europe. :p

8. Tablet Nostradamus

WillAdams and DRTigerlilly like this.
  9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can see all of that but the USB A port --- why bother? Adapters are easy enough, and it's usually easy to find a suitable cable (sourced a USB C/A cable for a CNC machine).

EDIT: I'd have to add Microsoft fixing the stylus mapping so that one can reasonable select text or work with interface elements w/o the thing scrolling instead.

10. Tablet Nostradamus

Respectfully disagree about USB A. I still find it annoying whenever I have to break out the dongle for a USB keyboard or mouse or flash drive. I know it's unrealistic to want USB A for the GB line as that would mean major structural changes to the chassis, I just wanted to throw that out there as an 'old man yelling at the sky' comment.

And, yes, I agree about the stylus mapping. Stylus button right click is also still inconsistent. I'm sure a Wacom driver would fix this issue - but then again I think my HP Zbook has a similar issue.

On a side note, MS has to look really hard at its pen tech (esp n-trig) if it wants to compete with Apple. They should have an entire division devoted to it, if they don't already (doubt it). Count the n-trig slow diagonal jitter as another old-man-sky comment. NOBODY SEEMS TO CARE.

Happy Sunday.

DRTigerlilly likes this.