Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Predator

Predator Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone know something about
    Samsung USB-C Multi-Port Adapter?
    Its working?

2. Tablet Nostradamus

Tablet Nostradamus Pen Pal - Newbie

I have to update my experience with the NKMOS AirStand. I think it has given up the ghost.
    [​IMG]
    https://imgur.com/hVZSIiV

After three months of almost daily use on the back of my SGB12, it no longer lasts more than 5 minutes until the tablet slides off it. No amount of washing with warm water has helped. According to NKMOS's instructions, you're not supposed to leave the stand upright while not in use, so maybe that's the reason (I leave it upright on my table 24/7 like I did with my Surface Pro), but the adhesive just no longer reliably sticks. One day while I wasn't looking, the tablet just slid off my three-foot-high kitchen table (luckily some power cords on the floor broke its fall)! Just recently, the adhesive has torn off the top from constantly rubbing off the tablet, which probably doesn't help things. I've resorted to using those cheap wire book stands.

I was thinking of just gluing it to my tablet using E6000 like @dstrauss did with his folio, but that'll probably be a pain to remove when the time comes.

So if you're looking for an adhesive tablet stand and your use case is similar to mine, I would steer clear. I would also avoid the other stands using the same adhesive technology. Sorry for recommending this earlier, folks.

Samsung, please update your Galaxy Book line with more RAM, Intel processor, and built-in kickstand. Retain the OLED and Wacom EMR, please.Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    DRTigerlilly, sosimple and wytn like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Your last thought is the best, but I've seen several things online that Samsung is not going forward with an Intel based tablet. A real shame because Intel Processor, 16gb RAM, 512gb SSD and unlocked LTE in the GB2 body would be a godsend...

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Seems so obvious, and not hard to do. Sure does make me think they're all abandoning Windows tablets. I tend to lay the blame on MS, for not evolving the Surface line to remain the halo device it used to be. Hardware and UI development stopped in 2015 with SP3 and W10. Also for deprecating the OS and O365 for tablet support. Still blows me away that Win 8.1 failed simply because the default view was tablet rather than desktop. If it rolled out the other way, as W10 did, but without destroying the tablet UI, all good things might have flowed: more popularity, better apps, etc. Oh, and, keep the Wacom EMR digitizer. I realize I'm not saying anything new here, just strikes me how such small incremental corporate decisions pretty much hand the tablet market to Apple and leave consumers with little other choice, even if IOS and iPad form factor - ie, slate, no stand, no decent keyboard - is far from their first preference. But well performing, operational dependability trumps handfuls of second order preferences, or so it seems. Tsk, tsk.

nnthemperor, dstrauss and wytn like this.
  5. dellaster

dellaster "Apple Fanboy" Senior Member

It was also because some vocal people couldn’t get used to three clicks or taps starting at the bottom-right of the screen to shut down rather than three clicks starting from the bottom-left “Start” button to shut down. :rolleyes:

It only took a moment to set desktop as startup default, BTW. I had it that way on my big iron.

I certainly liked the Win8.1 Tablet GUI better than iOS/iPadOS back then and even now I would choose it had it kept evolving (and if there were decent smaller tablets to load it on). Its Explorer app was the best tablet browser ever by a long shot as well. And MS just threw all of that in the trash... :eek::mad:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    batty, dstrauss, wytn and 1 other person like this.
  6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Very well put brother @dellaster. Ironically, these were marketing failures rather than core design failures. Decisions like making the tablet UI the default was a product marketing decision (yes, it was easy as pie to switch your setup to default to desktop, but read on...) as was the decision *not* to make consumers aware - in ads, product lit - of how easy it was to switch to desktop (no doubt huge proportions thought desktop mode was just "gone!") as was the decision *not* to restore the "start" icon to the lower left when the tech press shouted from their rooftops that people hated W8/8.1 because "they removed the Start button" and "you could only navigate via big rectangular icons.". So easy to change inside a regular security update, so easy to explain with the marketing/PR juggernaut MS controlled. Which all begat Windows 10 which, you may recall, was MS' biggest OS fiasco since Vista. W7 effectively ended the taint on Windows and pretty much ended the Windows vs Mac debates, because while different the two OSs became widely regarded as at parity operationally. And W8 could have just been a hiccup and "8.1" didn't need to be christened, just call it a fix of W8's oopsed, explain the darn tablet/desktop options and proceed to challenge the iPad with a superior tablet OS (... leading to more Windows tablet apps being developed for what could have been the objectively better tablet platform...) and, Bob's your uncle: two vibrant tablet competitors.

If only you, @dstrauss and I were consulted <sigh> :vbwink:

nnthemperor, dellaster and wytn like this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

<...And MS just threw all of that in the trash... :eek::mad:...>

The trash men...

[​IMG]

nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  8. wytn

wytn Pen Pal - Newbie

OT about Win 8.1:
    I have been way more a Linux user (and also a Mac OSX one) for a long time (Linux since the end of the 90s / early 2000s), and so i didn't use Win 8.1 daily for everything all the time but i never really understood the hate for W8.1.
    I found it more lightweight than Win 7 (let's not talk about Win 10), it could run on a 1gb Atom tablet device, as it was particularly lightweight in RAM usage, such a device with merely 1gb in RAM was still really useful for many things (during that time i used PCs/laptops/Macs with 4/8/16gb RAM - but good old simple WIN32 light apps ran fine with 1gb of RAM on Win8).

Sometimes it felt like i always was the only person that didn't hate this OS. And why? I don't know, was it only a press/reporting thing. A meme at this point because there wasn't any Start Menu? (A feature that could be brought back with a third party tool. Default boot to PC desktop, just a setting toggle, like mentioned.)

I mean: i understand the situation for a very specific set of people at least, that were, well... like my parents, elderly.

The whole experience was probably generally messy accross the range of devices that were shipped with Win8... Maybe some tiny OEM customization instead of bundling crapware would have also helped. MS failed its marketing?

Personally i got used to launch any app with WIN+S and there was never another problem... (But i also used Gnome 3/Gnome Shell for years and so on! - Gnome 3 that was particularly disliked by so many users for years too...)

edit: Took me a bit too long to type this, i guess. :)

Back to the GB:
    Given this is the Galaxy Book thread, i'm wondering if any of the GB10 users got the May update? And maybe if everything works without any problem?

dellaster likes this.
  9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My Samsung USB-C Multi-Port Adapter works fine.

I rather liked Windows 8.1 as a tablet operating system, and am rather sad it will be EOL soon.

Rather annoyed to've had to roll back to 1703 twice now so that I can have stylus behavior which I can work with.

10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nope, nothing yet. I wonder why it's taking long to get the update. Tried the windows 10 upgrade assistant, but it just said I have the latest update.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

wytn likes this.