Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. joe75

joe75 Pen Pal - Newbie

Not necessarily related to a windows update, but
    I bought it last july during a nice promo operation in France and with the heavy windows updates the device was really burning hot and the fan was spinning really hard quite to the point i was considering returning it for good.
    A few weekslater, everything was way cooler
    Now with the last 1903 update, the fan is not louder than before luckily .

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  2. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've owned mine since November 2018, and a different GB12 before that since March 2018. I don't ever recall the fan running so noisily before. The back of the tablet feels very hot to the touch too.
    I'll take a look to see if I have 1903, and try updating if it isn't up to that version.

3. sosimple

sosimple Pen Pal - Newbie

Has the problem with the pen resolved in 1909?
    Can you select text in notepad with the pen?
    Thanks,

4. joe75

joe75 Pen Pal - Newbie

1903? Well i did not follow the issue with the pen, so i am not sure what the problem is.
    But with mouse, text selection is much better, while with the pen is more or less like my finger with 1 or 2 blue "tags" for selection underneath...
    Not sure if this helps :)

sosimple likes this.
  5. sosimple

sosimple Pen Pal - Newbie

I solved my problem with the pen.. I dont know if anyone who has the problem , is the same like mine but I'll write my experience.
    After many experiments, I found out that by restart in safe mode, pen was working OK.
    This is the first you should try, to find out if this solve your problem.
    If yes, then it is probably some app which doesn't work properly eather due to a windows update, or a combination of windows update and some app update.
    Anyway, after I disabled Gesturesign, problem solved to me. This was the app which did the problem. I found out that gesturesign updated the last month..
    Because I wanted the app, I searched a bit more, so I disabled in gesturesign , "mouse gesture" option and all are OK.

I have tried many more things. Be sure that you have enabled in windows settings -devices-pen & windows ink, the option "Use pen as mouse for legacy apps".
    I hope you solve also the problem..

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  6. RXP

RXP Pen Pal - Newbie

Registered on these forums to post this - hopefully it'll help owners. I recently purchased a 32" 4k monitor I wanted to use with my tablet. Ran into resolution/refresh rate and charging issues.

I've got the official USB-C Samsung hub for my older Tab S Pro. I hooked up the HDMI to that and it'd only display at 4k/30hz despite everything I tried. The monitor came with a USB-C cable itself so I plugged it directly via the USB-C cable and voilla full 4k@60hz. Surprisingly this little thing can output to its own screen at native resolution and another monitor plugged into the USB-C hub. So all together I've got 3 monitors.

The next problem I had was the battery was constantly discharging. I have a USB tester and could see when plugged into the USB hub it refused to draw anything over 0.1A at 12v. Tried all different cable and port combos and got one working. Great! Then I unplugged the tester and the damn thing wouldn't charge again.

Turns out you need to plug in the USB-C hub before the USB-C monitor to get full power draw. If you keep the USB-C monitor plugged in while you unplugged and replug the power - it won't take charge.

I'm so impressed with this tablet. I'm using it as my main desktop. I got the 256GB/8GB version for only £700 brand new and still shocked at the value. Only issues I've encountered are the charging ones.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Welcome aboard, and a great first post for helping others. Your last observation, however, is the best. You'll learn that I am a serial computer abuser, trying and rejecting lots of different models in that search for "perfection" BUT I always end up running right back to my Galaxy Book 12 (the 8gb/256gb model). Samsung will never understand how close to perfection they came with the GB12, especially now they are chasing down the rabbit hole of WOA with the Galaxy Book line.

Again welcome, and keep the posts coming.

8. RXP

RXP Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Only upgrade I'm looking for is going to be the 4k 15.6 16:9 models. One of the main uses for mine is a media consumption device on the go and on holiday. The size difference between the GB12's 10.5" 16:9 picture and 15.4" means it's a worth while upgrade for me. Can't wait for those to hit!

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Wait until you get your hands on the Asus Zenbook Duo Pro. Comes with Thunderbolt and pen goodness.

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

what pen tech is it using tho? EMR or bust!

WillAdams likes this.