Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One drawback to waiting for the "next gen" is Samsung has already set precedent with being willing give up on this market if the sales aren't there. After the Smart PC pro/Ativ Pro Ivy Bridge line failed, Samsung basically abandoned Windows Penabled Tablets for 3 whole CPU gens. I can easily see them doing so again.

I am in agreeance with everyone else about being upset about the EMMC storage....It was one thing for an Atom system since that was you're only real option....but for Core M it makes no sense.

They have to be shooting for an under $500....heck under $400 price point to cut so many corners.......I mean the Cube Mix Plus has a 128GB SSD and an IPS screen and thats only $369...and the Mix Plus itself is in the 9mm thickness range....Samsung seems to have made a lesser product.

The only thing the 10.6 Galaxy Book has going for it is really the better cut of EMR tech, the 2/3 aspect ratio, and it "May" have superior battery life.

While the larger 12 incher seems to be a decent Surface Pro competitor......the 10.6 inch model seems more like Samsungs answer to the $350 priced Asus Transformer Mini more then anything. That being said if they do shoot for an under $400 price, I very well might still buy one...it would be a perfect travel tablet.

Bronsky and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  2. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

S-Pen tilt support has been available on Note devices since the Note 4. Android Apps such as Art Rage and Clover Paint support that function. Nice to see it on a windows device.

http://www.artistebot.com/2017/01/since-there-seems-to-be-very-little_6.html

Tams, WillAdams and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

eMMC? 2017 and Core processor - I don't even care if it is 5.1, eMMC, REALLY? Even the TabPro S, which had Core M3, was SSD, not eMMC. With a 9mm thick body, they could have at least used real storage...

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

To be honest, I really don't have a lot of issues with loading times. It's the atom that most needs improvement on my S3. Sure an SSD would be nice but I agree that it looks like Samsung is concerned with the retail price of the 10.6" tablet. I think Intel has a reference design for a 10" Core M eMMC.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    WillAdams and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Two things. First, the eMMC will be endurable and quite useable if they opt for eMMC 5.1. (See my prior post in this thread.) Samsung, as a lead producer of eMMC flash, has been putting their eMMC 5.1 flash in their own phones and tablets since 2015. Plus, Intel Core has far more peripheral data paths available unlike mobile Atom which restricted Windows tablets to the old and dog slow 4.51 variant. So I see no reason why they wouldn't use eMMC 5.1 since they would be using it at cost as their own supplier, anyway. That should wedge it in between current Windows Intel Atom-based tablet eMMC flash and SATA SSDs in terms of read and write performance.

Second, I believe you are spot on about the price point. When someone can get a previous generation Skylake Core M tablet with a better screen, an SSD, and stylus support for new on Amazon for easily under $500, they would be condemning this product to fail at launch if they priced it over $500. HP released a budget-oriented 2-in-1 Pavilion X2 at a $599 price point ($529 currently on HP.com) with far more functionality and an SSD and it now goes for much less there. And the Huawei Matebook and Lenovo Miix 700 are now commonly available for under $500 new on Amazon as well. Either they price it under $500 or this will assuredly fail and Samsung may go on hiatus from Windows tablets, at least for 10-inchers, as they have in the past to lick their wounds.

WillAdams and darkmagistric like this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

And that's why I'm not even considering it anymore. So much for even a near ideal 10-inch Core M tablet. A 64GB SSD would have cost them what, $5-$10 per unit in very high volume purchases. And that is if they didn't use their own SSDs, which would be even cheaper for them since they would obviously be sourcing their own SSDs AT COST. Cheapskates! Hopefully, they price this tablet way down to the masses because they certainly appear to have it spec'ed out to the very low-end mass market. If they price it down at the iPad Air 2 32 GB's price point of $399 since a 64 GB Windows tablet really only has a teeny bit more than 32 GB of usable storage, the Book 10.6-inch might stand a chance. But as-is, they have failed to redefine the market besides being the first major manufacturer with a 10-inch Core M tablet and a very flawed one at that.

7. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There can be several reasons why they wouldn't use their own flash/SSD. Even if they can produce their own stuff, the latest gen still costs them more. Also, it can be more profitable to use their production lines for other demands. The TabPro S also used a SSD from LiteOn, not a Samsung one. The flash and DRAM chip market are in constant flux, so there can be many factors influencing the decision whether to use their own or another storage vendor.

But in any way, Samsung is indeed a serious cheapskate here.

bloodycape and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Correction.......When someone can get a "Current' generation Kaby Lake Core M

The Cube Mix Plus is rocking a Kaby Lake Core M3-7Y30.....which at turbo can hit 2.6ghz......which matches the Galaxy Books Spec.....for all we know, Samsung may be using that exact same Core M as the Mix Plus.

9. sonichedgehog360

Many people like myself aren't inclined to buy a Chinese tablet even from Cube given the inherent risks involved of these Chinese outfits including sketchy warranty work and almost non-existent customer support. I would personally buy one if there was the reasonable assurance that my product could be serviced in a timely and responsible fashion. Has that aspect changed at all for Cube, at least? That would make me much more inclined to buy, minus the fact that it has that oblong 16:9 form factor which I am not especially keen on.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I cannot speak for online resellers, but I ordered directly from Cube within China.

Their customer service was actually top-notch. I sent them a screenshot of a Windows Event Viewer error log, and they replaced my machine (i7 Stylus) in just 2 days, after sending it in.