Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

4 hours for the Galaxy Book 12 makes perfect sense if someone is working with it.
    Actually, when I spend my time with the Surface Book 2 drawing with power management on Better Performance the battery lasts a miserable 4,5 hours.
    Galaxy Book without a powerbank attached lasted 2-2.5 instead.

Tablet Nostradamus likes this.
  2. Tablet Nostradamus

Tablet Nostradamus Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, @Azzart, glad to hear 4 hours is pretty typical. Helps me feel like I didn't buy a lemon after all.

3. wytn

wytn Pen Pal - Newbie

I must say i ordered the AirStand one day after this post. No really sure how long will take the delivery. I think maybe 7/10 days (to EU) - 10 days are more likely.
    Nobody got theirs yet i suppose?

4. Tablet Nostradamus

I ordered mine on March 8, got tracking number from Slacks Creek, Australia on March 13, it left Brisbane on March 15, got word that it touched down in the US (and clearing for customs) on March 19. The next step will be the local carrier, USPS I assume, to NYC, but the next notification will be upon delivery (which is next to useless). Hoping it'll arrive at least next week, March 25.

The NKMOS rep I spoke with originally estimated about a week for delivery (haha) and they said courier (at extra cost) would take 3 days.

Sorry for the long wait guys (I feel responsible since I mentioned the product), I underestimated international shipping time. Sometimes my cynicism lapses.

I guess I should have foreseen this. :D:eek::(

DRTigerlilly and wytn like this.
  5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

no worries it's not on you, we join you in waiting with bated breath.

6. Tablet Nostradamus

Thanks, @DRTigerlilly! Wait no longer!

So the stand arrived March 23 (when I was away of course) and I haven't been able to use it until tonight. So being that I ordered this on March 5 (not the 8th, sorry I was wrong), it took 18 days, a little less than 3 weeks to get from Australia to NYC, USA. Here are some photos:

NKMOS AirStand Universal Tablet Stand Impressions
    https://imgur.com/a/ns6iWjd

Impressions: It's awesome! It does the job of holding up my Samsung Galaxy Book 12 without the type cover and I imagine it would do just as good a job for any tablet within reason (it didn't hold up my 4lb HP Zbook x2 G4 for very long, adhesive wasn't strong enough). The hinge offers just as much resistance as the Surface Pro's and actually feels less wobbly and plasticy (it's anodized aluminum). The adhesive (which leaves zero residue) requires a hardy tug to remove and can also be positioned for portrait mode. I tried drawing on the tablet with it on (in landscape) and it's just as good as when you're drawing on a Surface, probably better as the AirStand has rubber feet that keep the tablet from sliding on a smooth surface. If you draw with a heavy hand however, it will push the stand down, much like the Surface's (you're probably better off with a dedicated graphics stand like the Artisul Freestyle Stand in that case). The jury is still out on whether the adhesive will hold while the tablet is hot and how long the hinge will retain its tension (probably as long as the Surface's, I imagine).

Pros:
    - Looks professional (not as embarrassing as corrugated cardboard with velcro and duct tape)
    - Surface Pro-like hinge with similar range of angles
    - Removable adhesive
    - Can be positioned for landscape or portrait
    - Rubber padding on bottom prevents slipping (Surface does not have this)
    - Comes in black, silver, or gold
    - Not plastic

Cons:
    - Pricey ($60 AUD plus $15 AUD shipping, converts to $55 US)
    - Slow shipping from Australia (NKMOS is the only distributor)
    - Can't use on lap, wish it was wider
    - Not stable for heavier tablets or heavy drawing, you'll probably need to buy two which is what the manufacturer suggested in this video ()
    - The maximum angle leaves the tablet pretty much parallel to the table/desk

All in all, it helps bring my type cover-less GB12 to the same level of usability as my Surface Pro 5. It's really no substitute for a dedicated graphics stand, however, but it'll do until the next AMOLED Wacom EMR detachable tablet with integrated kickstand and pen silo (I'm with you, @dstrauss !) hits the shelves. Hopefully Samsung will come to their senses and provide a higher spec GB2 someday.

7. Tablet Nostradamus

Update: After a few hours of using this stand on my GB12, the adhesive is already causing the stand to slip off the tablet. I would just reattach it and it would hold for about twenty minutes until it would slip off again. It's possible I may have attached/detached it one too many times while I was testing out various tablets and positions, and that probably hastened the loss of stickiness. Well, they recommend a rinse to make it reusable so I'll try that and let you know how it works out.

Update: That seems to have done the trick. I ran the sticky part under warm water for a couple of seconds, then let it dry. Attached it to the tablet and it seems to be holding better. I also made sure to attach it so that the bottom of the stand (not the handle part) is flush with the bottom of the tablet so there's no unnecessary weight bringing it down.

I believe this uses some form of microsuction technology, much like its competitors the Lynktec 360 and the Enitab360, so it really shouldn't lose its stickiness if you follow the directions. In theory.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    wytn, DRTigerlilly and AriWS like this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Wow, happy half million views everyone! I'm beginning to think that this may be a popular device!

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I have been wondering about attaching it to the back cover of the keyboard folio so I can continue to type as well as use it for note taking. Mine has "shipped" but still in transit. Thanks for the visuals @Tablet Nostradamus - looks great - but my heart is on a GB2 with my GB12 internals and a siloed yellow S-Pen!

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It arrived - very professional design. I have a GB12 Lite, which is the Best Buy original (4gb/128gb) that comes with a black case that is very stiff, has a rough texture, and more sturdy, but even worse at origami folding - the "stick-em" won't hold to the case for more than a few seconds, so I plan to Super Glue (actually e6000 Adhesive) to permanently mount it in place. I'll have to be honest - it does add a thick bump on the back, but it gives you infinite adjustment - AWESOME - and looks even better black on black with the BB folio.

IMG_6634.jpg IMG_6635.jpg IMG_6636.jpg

Hopefully no more collapsing keyboard stand!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019