Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. unlimitedcellular

unlimitedcellular Pen Pal - Newbie

Majority of reviews for this tablet was the gorgeous display and it's competitive battery life. But despite of an incredible screen and strong battery life, if you aren't able to make liberal use of Samsung's Flow, there aren't many reasons to buy this one over similarly-priced competitors.

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I have seen it in any Windows tablet I had for the past 4 years at least: Cintiq Companion, Surface Pro 3, Surface Book 1-2, Galaxy Book.
    Windows tells the same thing all the times if you plug something that's almost fully charged: "plugged in, not charging".
    As I said, it is normal Windows behaviour.

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

there is one major reason....significantly superior inking...

can confirm have experienced this on multiple Windows devices including Surface (and initially made me think the charging mechanism was faulty)

Tablet Nostradamus likes this.
  4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Immagine me the first time I saw this was on the Cintiq Companion and I immediately thought I had the infamous "plugged in not charging" problem that plagued that device. :D

Tablet Nostradamus likes this.
  5. Tablet Nostradamus

Tablet Nostradamus Pen Pal - Newbie

Haha, my first reaction with that happening on my GB12 was, 'Give me my 100%, dammit! I must have it before I can do anything else!'

Azzart likes this.
  6. sdlnv

sdlnv Pen Pal - Newbie

Is it normal that the power supply is not able to provide about ~15W to the CPU package?
    I did try to play a couple games while changing some parameters with ThrottleStop, and I can have one of the following situations:
    - I keep the power consumption of the CPU package under 10W, and the game does not play very well
    - I let the package absorb about 15W (could peak to 17 briefly), game runs very well but the battery slowly drains while plugged in (to the point of fully discharging if open for enough time)

I'm mainly doing this by regulating the Speed Shift parameter.

I think it would be a bit sad if the bottleneck is not the CPU but some internal power supply limitation, I'm using a PD charger through an USB-C Hub but they both should be able to provide more power than needed. It happened in the past with the Samsung charger too I think.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  7. Tablet Nostradamus

Not sure what the power charge limitation is on the GB12, perhaps others with more knowledge can chime in? I do remember around page 208 in this thread people were having issues getting pass through charging to work efficiently with their USB hubs. Have you tried connecting the PD charger directly to the tablet? And which charger is it?

8. sdlnv

sdlnv Pen Pal - Newbie

I did some testing with the original charger and a 60W Anker PD charger and had the following results:
    - Original Charger: I can bring the CPU package to 12W before the battery starts discharging.
    - Anker PD through Hub: CPU at 8W before it starts discharging.
    - Anker PD without Hub: I can bring the CPU to about 14W and I still have 2W to spare before it would start discharging.

So, I'm using an USB-C port for the external monitor (4k@60Hz for normal use), the other one for all the peripherals and charging. Any suggestions for being able to connect everything and get full charge capacity?

9. Tablet Nostradamus

I don't think anyone's been able to charge the GB12 efficiently through a hub, unless I'm wrong? The charger needs a dedicated port on the tablet. If you're still losing power with the dedicated port, either your charger is bad or it's specced too low (60W in theory should be way more than enough - my 72W Nekteck (60W through the PD port) works fine, although my GB12 doesn't run a 4K monitor). You can also try a different cable, preferably one that's USB-IF certified and rated at 100W.

Can you just use the bottom port for power and top port for a hub that connects your peripherals (including monitor)?

10. Tablet Nostradamus

Stray observations from a non-electrician on charging the GB12 using the Nekteck 60W charger if anyone's interested: Using a Kill A Watt P4400 device between the charger and the wall socket, I'm seeing around 40W (true power) being used until battery reaches 80-90% where it goes down to about 15-20W. This contradicts software apps (like Battery Bar and BatteryInfoView) whose charge rate readings are usually half of what the Kill A Watt is saying. Or am I mistaken in assuming the software charge rate is supposed to match the watt reading?

So far the battery lasting less than 4 hours is an inconvenience that would be worse if I actually used this while out and about. I do wonder if the battery would be significantly better with a brand new GB12 as opposed to this one that I bought used on eBay, or is this typical wear from a year or two of use? Does anyone's GB12 battery show similar degradation?

thatcomicsguy likes this.