Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Chinese mini-manufacturers have been over the last year or so making these charger/battery banks which use the 18650 LiPo battery format.

I just ordered one of these for around $15 (free shipping available if you poke around in the options.)

[​IMG]

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-3A-Mobile...hash=item5d7340d58b:m:m2FS0Yc-1WBkcXrtq3Ze4_Q

The cool thing is that you can get just the enclosure, (they come in various sizes with the largest I've seen taking 8 cells) and then buy the batteries at Walmart or somewhere and spare yourself the import charges and postal limitations on battery sizes.

18650's are becoming common at the retail level in the West.

I'd like to see some huge charger/bank units, for 20 or 40 cells. You could run your computer all week!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Tablet Nostradamus likes this.
  2. Tablet Nostradamus

Tablet Nostradamus Pen Pal - Newbie

Hm, I did try multiple cables, but maybe they're all bad - I usually go for the cheapest USB cable with the best reviews on Amazon. Do you remember where you got your replacement cable?

3. Tablet Nostradamus

Very interesting, @thatcomicsguy. I never knew about these LiPo's. Would this pack charge like a PD power bank or like a QC? I'd be curious to see how it compares.

4. thatcomicsguy

Sorry! I'm ignorant on my acronyms today. What's PD and QC?

5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Power Delivery and Quick Charge, two different technologies.

6. Tablet Nostradamus

I apologize for throwing those acronyms into the post - I've just recently learned about power delivery in my quest for better battery charging so my knowledge of those technologies is sorely lacking.

But do you have any experience with these Chinese LiPo power banks? Could you forward some informative links? I do know that 18650s are used in laptop batteries but just learned they're also used in popular power banks (like your typical Anker or RAVPower ones).

7. thatcomicsguy

I picked up one of these last year...
    [​IMG]
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/130000mAh-P...tery-Charger-for-Laptops-B98B-01/233137525399

It works nicely. -Though, the listing header lies; the unit is only good for 30,000 mAh, -which is still a lot, but it isn't 130,000! Even when you scroll through the images, you see 30,000 mAh rating printed right on the back. But there's a small flood of them being sold on eBay right now for around $100. -Which is a pretty fair price for what you get.

The good points about this unit are the robust construction and the electronics. It outputs 19V directly at 4.5 Amps, which is perfect for many laptops. It also has a pair of 5V USB power ports, and the whole thing can be charged either (slowly) with micro USB, or (more quickly) with the 19V charger supplied. I don't know what kind of LiPo cells are inside this thing; either several of those squishy flat packs they make for phones, or a bunch of 18650 cylinders.

The thing I liked about the new units I posted about earlier is that they can be opened up and you can pull the individual batteries if you want. 18650 cells come in a range of power profiles, with high capacity, low amperage units, (good for things like flashlights and cell phones) or low capacity, high amperage cells (good for things like power tools). So you can tune your battery pack to suit your needs. -And when the batteries wear out, you can replace them.

8. Tablet Nostradamus

Do you use that 30000mAh battery for your GB12? How long would it take to charge? And can you use the DC jack or just the USB ports?

I do like the idea of being able to replace batteries on that BYOB bank. Looking forward to hearing how they work out for you.

9. thatcomicsguy

I have the Notebook 9 Pro, not the Galaxy Book; both Samsung, both decent machines, but mine is a 2-in-1.

I've only used the battery a couple of times, (I got it in case of power outages during deadline pushes). I carry it in my backpack sometimes, but haven't needed it since it's quite rare for me to be away from a wall socket, so I've only used it in test scenarios to see how well it performed. I would imagine, however, if you were in a lecture hall or class room where you don't want to have wires running all over the place that it might be useful; you could just run a wire from your bag. I made a proper cable that you can plug into the barrel power port on my laptop and run at a full 19 vDC. The 5 vDC USB ports work fine; I charged a couple of small electronics from them.

It takes a few hours to charge using the supplied 19 V charger. Using a standard USB 5V phone charger is very slow, but could probably do it if you left it overnight.

If I were looking to be super portable, I'd probably go with a power bank half or a third the size; mine is quite heavy.

10. Tablet Nostradamus

OK, just got a $36 Nekteck 72W (60W using USB C port) wall charger from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Ch...words=nekteck&qid=1552507435&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Charges my used GB12 to full from nearly dead in under 2 hours. More importantly, the battery doesn't drain while the charger is connected and the tablet is in use (full brightness, videos playing, drawing in Photoshop, 20 Chrome tabs, etc). Weird thing is though that if the battery goes down to 98% then you plug in the charger, it will not charge. It includes a 3ft USB C cable, a 4ft AC cord, and 3 extra USB A ports for other electronics. Recommended.

By the way, trying other USB cables didn't improve the charging speed of the included charger (or any other Samsung/Anker fast phone charger in my possession). Thanks again for the suggestion, @WillAdams. Maybe my usage case is rare, but the PD charger was my only solution.

As for the Air Stand adhesive kickstand from NKMOS, just got a tracking number from them about a week after ordering. I assume it'll take about another week to get to New York from Australia. Meanwhile my improvised cardboard stand is losing its integrity and I've resorted to using a wire display stand that's normally used for propping up books and magazines. C'mon, Air Stand!