Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. koreoes

koreoes Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I'm back! It's been a month since I dropped it in for repair and it wasn't a great experience honestly. Mainly due to the retailer and the outcome. There was very little, vague communication on what was going on, I was told it would take 2-3 weeks but it's been dragged on for a month. I called like 3 weeks in and was told it was delayed due to ' missing parts that were being shipped over '

However I called Samsung directly today ( 1 month mark) and found out the repair job was complete ages ago. Like 2 weeks ago. Furthermore, there was no delay or problems with getting parts. They had to replace the mainboard, but with that they had to move over the old IMEI to the new mainboard, from there an error occurred in transferring the IMEI stuff and basically broke the whole tablet (they failed the repair). So instead they were willing to offer a full refund or exchange. They unfortunately don't have any Galaxy Book's in their stock so all they can do is refund me the full price. Yet all along my retailer hadn't said a single thing about a failed repair, or refunds/exchange.

The process with Samsung was smooth thankfully, they realised what was wrong and put me to a case manager and sent me the refund form email instantly. but its confusing. I loved the book, better than surface or anything. HDR, amazing stylus, not so bad build quality, pen+case included etc... I'm not sure how fixing ports can cause the whole tablet to become unusable... but it is what it is?

No options for the wifi only book now in NZ because the stock is gone and I'm pretty sure they wont sell the 2nd gen here, probably wouldn't buy it either. Snapdragon instead of Intel would cause alot of compatability problems. Will have to move on ;-; unless I buy the 4G LTE version, which is $600 more... ($1999)

Tldr; they couldn't repair the ports, instead the tablet broke and I was offered refund. Retailer sucked and didnt tell me, had to ask Samsung directly for useful info about the repair and getting the refund.

Now I'm lost on what to buy with the refunded money. I need a device for school to take notes with and handle decent loads, like light gaming, photoshop etc... Either spend $600 to get the 4G/LTE version or buy something else like a surface and pay even more ~$1000s more.

Protip: send your devices for warranty repairs directly to the manufacturer, I will never send them through a retailer again. For anyone in NZ reading this, the retailer is Pbtech.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Shizaru and dellaster like this.
  2. Hydraulic Potato

Hydraulic Potato Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe you could try the 2019 Notebook 9 Pen? It's supposed to be out soon. You will get a much better CPU, Thunderbolt, but will lose the 3:2 aspect ratio.

koreoes likes this.
  3. koreoes

koreoes Pen Pal - Newbie

Ooo yes I saw trailers of that- I dont think Samsung notebooks get sold in NZ unfortunately :/ Amazon doesn't ship them here either. Will have to ask Samsung, thanks though^^

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

While they still command a high price on eBay, if you keep an eye out.., I've watched several used Notebook 9 Pro 15"s in good condition go for very low prices, between $600 - $800, in eBay auctions. -And if you would be happy with the 13" model, then you can find them for even less. Currently, there's one being offered for $590 as a "Buy Now". (Though, you'd have to contact the seller and negotiate for over-seas shipping since he's indicated that he only wants to sell in the U.S.. That's usually doable, though. They just don't like the hassle and risks of customs and such, but if you promise to do all the research and cover the costs without complaint and without needing them to do any extra work, they'll often acquiesce.)

koreoes, Shizaru, Tams and 2 others like this.
  5. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

@koreoes at least you aren't stuck with a machine that has faulty ports, so it's not a bad result. You also have the opportunity to pick a new generation machine which is a bonus.

koreoes likes this.
  6. koreoes

koreoes Pen Pal - Newbie

That is very true :D those ports were really annoying at points..

Thanks for the detailed reply! I'll definitely keep an eye out. Those prices are so much cheaper than Amazon, wow.

However is having no warranty still make this a 'worth' purchase? From what I've seen, Samsung Warranty for off market products in un-supporting companies is usually never successful, unless you ship it back to where the device originates from.

In that case, are there any non-Samsung products that are good? In terms of EMR/pen and overall product. All I can find in NZ is surface, spectre, Acer flip, Lenovo Yoga and a few others.

Last case scenario is to just get the 4g LTE version of the GB12

Thanks!

Shizaru likes this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Samsung's quality control is generally quite excellent, (though it sounds as though you were one of those unfortunate few who could claim otherwise!).

I had to privately ship my unit into Canada, breaking the warranty agreement, so I've been using my N9P without a safety net for more than a year. I have had no troubles with it.

My general feeling with eBay is that used items have lived through the uncertainty period where manufacturing flaws will crop up, (usually this happens within the first month of ownership), and have either been fixed at the original owner's time expense, or have those flaws listed in the descriptions. eBay sellers, by and large, tend to adhere to a strict honesty policy as the rating system can quickly lead to lost sales if it dips even a few points below 100% in terms of buyer satisfaction.

The thing you will encounter, however, is diminished battery life on used units, which is to be expected. But despite a couple of annoying dealings over the last ten years and dozens of purchases, on the whole, I've had good results with eBay. I would be cautious, however, about spending more than $500 or so on a "No Returns" eBay purchase just in case something does come up. It would hurt, but I can afford to absorb $500 on a bad deal. -Mind you, I've never been hit like that, but it remains a remote gamble.

Amazon, by contrast, has an incredibly powerful customer return policy. You can literally return any item for a full refund regardless of your reason within 30 days of receipt. If you simply don't like the way it smells, you can send it back with no restocking fee and Amazon will pay for the shipping. You don't have to spend weeks playing mind games with Wacom over dead pixels and such. That's far better than any warranty offered anywhere, and may account for the higher up front cost on big items, such as Cintiq units.

Something to think about.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    wytn, WillAdams and Shizaru like this.
  8. sdlnv

sdlnv Pen Pal - Newbie

Was anyone able to run a 4k display at 60Hz? I'm running it at 30Hz at the moment because that's what my USB-C hub supports, I did try an USB-C to HDMI cable but it doesn't work at all (device not recognized, it needs DP Alt Mode and I think the GB12 doesn't have that?).

Any adapters working for 4k@60Hz?

Ok, I did some digging, for anyone reading in the future:
    • The USB-HDMI adapter I did try is this one from UNI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075V5JK36
      It didn't work, device not recognized, no output. I found in this thread that @silverwolf0 used the same adapter (USB male to HDMI female instead) and it didn't work for him too. I found the following on USI's website:
    • @BatFastard used this one from Plugable instead https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FIVSC6Y and it looks like he is getting 4k@60Hz. This is working for @silverwolf0 too. The description on Amazon says this is using DP Alt Mode too. I have no idea what's the difference and I'm not sure if I'll be able to find the same one in my country, I will update this post when I try something.

Anyone knows what's up? The UNI one has positive reviews everywhere but it is obviously doing something differently.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  9. Hydraulic Potato

Hydraulic Potato Pen Pal - Newbie

Alt-mode is part of the USB standard. It uses the extra pins on the USB-C connector for transmitting non-USB data. That is how Thunderbolt, display out, analog audio, etc. work over USB-C. Of course, not all devices have all those alt-modes, but GB 12 does have DP alt-mode.

To get 4k@60Hz, you need either HDMI 2.0 (both on the display and on the adapter), or DisplayPort 1.2. (Most HDMI adapters you see actually use DisplayPort alt-mode, like yours mentions, and convert to HDMI.)

I am not sure why the first adapter didn't work. Maybe your display doesn't support HDMI 2.0? If your display has a DisplayPort, then the easiest option would be to buy a USB-C to DP 1.2 cable.

Note that I haven't actually tested 4k 60Hz on GB 12. There is another (unlikely) possibility that GB 12 has lower version of DP than 1.2. I will test 4k60 on Monday.

10. BatFastard

BatFastard Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all, I also recently (Nov '18) picked up this MOKiN USB C to HDMI adapter advertised as supporting 4k@60Hz. It works great as well as the Plugable adapter I initially purchased.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078RJX82T (MOKiN)

Just in case you were looking for another option. I used it just this evening on our 4k TV (at 60 Hz) and I've used it on my 4k LG monitor at 60 Hz.

I popped into the thread and just happened to notice the recent discussion for 4k@60Hz... :)