Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Samsung's quality control is generally quite excellent, (though it sounds as though you were one of those unfortunate few who could claim otherwise!).

I had to privately ship my unit into Canada, breaking the warranty agreement, so I've been using my N9P without a safety net for more than a year. I have had no troubles with it.

My general feeling with eBay is that used items have lived through the uncertainty period where manufacturing flaws will crop up, (usually this happens within the first month of ownership), and have either been fixed at the original owner's time expense, or have those flaws listed in the descriptions. eBay sellers, by and large, tend to adhere to a strict honesty policy as the rating system can quickly lead to lost sales if it dips even a few points below 100% in terms of buyer satisfaction.

The thing you will encounter, however, is diminished battery life on used units, which is to be expected. But despite a couple of annoying dealings over the last ten years and dozens of purchases, on the whole, I've had good results with eBay. I would be cautious, however, about spending more than $500 or so on a "No Returns" eBay purchase just in case something does come up. It would hurt, but I can afford to absorb $500 on a bad deal. -Mind you, I've never been hit like that, but it remains a remote gamble.

Amazon, by contrast, has an incredibly powerful customer return policy. You can literally return any item for a full refund regardless of your reason within 30 days of receipt. If you simply don't like the way it smells, you can send it back with no restocking fee and Amazon will pay for the shipping. You don't have to spend weeks playing mind games with Wacom over dead pixels and such. That's far better than any warranty offered anywhere, and may account for the higher up front cost on big items, such as Cintiq units.

Something to think about.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    wytn, WillAdams and Shizaru like this.
  2. sdlnv

sdlnv Pen Pal - Newbie

Was anyone able to run a 4k display at 60Hz? I'm running it at 30Hz at the moment because that's what my USB-C hub supports, I did try an USB-C to HDMI cable but it doesn't work at all (device not recognized, it needs DP Alt Mode and I think the GB12 doesn't have that?).

Any adapters working for 4k@60Hz?

Ok, I did some digging, for anyone reading in the future:
    • The USB-HDMI adapter I did try is this one from UNI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075V5JK36
      It didn't work, device not recognized, no output. I found in this thread that @silverwolf0 used the same adapter (USB male to HDMI female instead) and it didn't work for him too. I found the following on USI's website:
    • @BatFastard used this one from Plugable instead https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FIVSC6Y and it looks like he is getting 4k@60Hz. This is working for @silverwolf0 too. The description on Amazon says this is using DP Alt Mode too. I have no idea what's the difference and I'm not sure if I'll be able to find the same one in my country, I will update this post when I try something.

Anyone knows what's up? The UNI one has positive reviews everywhere but it is obviously doing something differently.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  3. Hydraulic Potato

Hydraulic Potato Pen Pal - Newbie

Alt-mode is part of the USB standard. It uses the extra pins on the USB-C connector for transmitting non-USB data. That is how Thunderbolt, display out, analog audio, etc. work over USB-C. Of course, not all devices have all those alt-modes, but GB 12 does have DP alt-mode.

To get 4k@60Hz, you need either HDMI 2.0 (both on the display and on the adapter), or DisplayPort 1.2. (Most HDMI adapters you see actually use DisplayPort alt-mode, like yours mentions, and convert to HDMI.)

I am not sure why the first adapter didn't work. Maybe your display doesn't support HDMI 2.0? If your display has a DisplayPort, then the easiest option would be to buy a USB-C to DP 1.2 cable.

Note that I haven't actually tested 4k 60Hz on GB 12. There is another (unlikely) possibility that GB 12 has lower version of DP than 1.2. I will test 4k60 on Monday.

4. BatFastard

BatFastard Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all, I also recently (Nov '18) picked up this MOKiN USB C to HDMI adapter advertised as supporting 4k@60Hz. It works great as well as the Plugable adapter I initially purchased.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078RJX82T (MOKiN)

Just in case you were looking for another option. I used it just this evening on our 4k TV (at 60 Hz) and I've used it on my 4k LG monitor at 60 Hz.

I popped into the thread and just happened to notice the recent discussion for 4k@60Hz... :)

5. zan5hin

zan5hin Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone have a solution for the device not shutting down when you close the lid?

I did some research and disabled Cortana completely, including the "listen for Hey Cortana" but it's still happening and super frustrating when I pull it out with a client and the battery is half dead.

6. sdlnv

sdlnv Pen Pal - Newbie

The Plugable USB-C to Female HDMI adapter was not available in my country, so I got the Plugable USB-C to Male HDMI1.8m cable which should be the same thing but in a different format. Sadly I can't get it to work.

I opened a ticket on the Plugable forums with more details https://support.plugable.com/t/cant-get-the-usb-c-to-hdmi-2-0-adapter-to-work/16625 hoping that maybe they know something more. If someone has any ideas please let me know.

Edit: the Plugable support has been awesome! Highly recommend their brand just based on this. They will send me both a replacement of the 1.8m male to male cable and the short male to female adapter to test which one works. They also said that the two versions actually do use a different chipset. Will update when I know more.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    wytn likes this.
  7. Aleque

Aleque Pen Pal - Newbie

Can someone please help?

I accidentally spilled some water on my Samsung Book 12 keyboard. Then I put my keyboard to dry for days. And now when I connect it, it says "USB device not recognized".

And then it shows as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" in Device Manager and Devices and Printers.

Then when I remove it and press "scan for hardware changes" it becomes "USB Composite Device" without yellow error "!" and the keyboards works as it should.

But then after around 30 seconds, when the backlight of the keyboard turns off, when i use the touchpad or the keyboard, it lights up again but does not respond.

And "USB Composite Device" without error "!" now again becomes the "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" with error "!".

Other times, if I reconnect the keyboard or set my device to sleep and wake it up, the keyboard works again... for 30 seconds - and stops.

Rebooting the device normally also makes the keyboard work until it "goes to sleep".

I don't remember how this behaviour was before the water spillage. Is it normal for the keyboard to "go to sleep"?

Anything I can do now software-wise? Or do you guys think it's permanent hardware damage?

EDIT: weird... tried finally using the s-pen and no problem so far...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  8. Tablet Nostradamus

Tablet Nostradamus Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, this is my first time posting! Thanks to all the crazy contributors on this site that I've been reading and following over the years! I've been through the penabled era (started with a Thinkpad X41T) all the way to the Surfaces. Even owned the mythical Acer Switch 7 Black Edition for a hot second (was sorely disappointed). Currently own the Surface Pro 4, Surface Pro 2017, HP Zbook x2 G4, and now the Samsung Galaxy Book 12. I am a tech hoarder, but am trying to whittle that list down to one machine. I also own a self-built PC desktop with a Wacom Cintiq 21UX DTZ-2100/G for heavy lifting and a lesser powered HTPC. I work in animation but am a soon-to-be-published graphic novelist.

My question: Anyone have issues with the Windows 10 1809 update on their SGB12 or similiar? After mine installed I got stuck in an infinite boot loop that was solved by rolling back to 1803 (learned what the F2 and F10 keys do in the boot process so wasn't a total loss, also FYI: holding down power and volume down buttons forces shutdown). Is there a trick to getting 1809 to work by updating a driver or something? I think I have all the latest updates according to Samsung Update.

Otherwise it's a nice EMR tablet despite the lack of a kickstand, terrible battery life, and some minor screen burn from the previous owner (I got it for cheap on the 'Bay). Thanks in advance!

9. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Welcome to commenting former lurker :)!
    you're going to have to tell us all about the mythical Acer Switch.

Someone will have to comment on updates, I've adopted the position of it isn't broke don't fix it, and have pretty much disabled updates on all my machines.

Tablet Nostradamus likes this.
  10. Tablet Nostradamus

Tablet Nostradamus Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, DRTigerlilly! I purchased the Switch off Amazon after reading about it on this forum for months. Unfortunately it had too many shortcomings, namely: no Wacom Feel compatibility, 16:9 aspect ratio felt wrong, couldn't install Battlefield 1 (was probably fixable in hindsight), Acer support was lacking, and overall it didn't match the Surface Pro in my opinion, regardless of the Wacom EMR. I returned it about a week later.

Good idea to disable updates - do you have a foolproof method, esp for Win Home?