Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. 2ndHouse

2ndHouse Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, that's one of the main reasons I tried an update too. Although I never use the power button because I have the case attached all the time, and just open/close it to turn it on/off. It behaves the same as the power button problem you describe though, sometimes not turning on unless I close/open the case a second time. I've had the same experience as you, it seems to be improved after the Intel driver install, but still happens occasionally.

I think I installed the Intel drivers in December, have not tried the 2019 ones yet, might wait a couple of months or so before updating again. Anyway, glad to hear you got them installed.

sosimple likes this.
  2. Hydraulic Potato

Hydraulic Potato Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,
    I've been trying to find a solution to two GB problems I have:

1) The touch screen is pretty laggy. This gets much worse when tablet mode is on. The onscreen keyboard is almost unusable as it skips many taps. Sometimes it works perfectly, so I know it isn't the hardware.
    Ideally, the touch input should run at highest priority. On Android, even if the keyboard doesn't respond immediately on slower phones, it will buffer the input, and every single letter you touched will eventually appear. On Windows, it just skips those letters.

2) I've tried doing a fresh Windows install, but I can't seem to find all the drivers. Samsung update gets most of them, but the air command and screen brightness controls don't work. It doesn't install the pens2helper service. The only thing that works is factory resetting the device, which reverts to 2017 Windows 10, then letting it upgrade.

It's great to see that you all have put a lot of thought here into making this device more usable.

3. sdlnv

sdlnv Pen Pal - Newbie

Did anyone try using an external 4k monitor at native resolution (3840 x 2160)?
    Is the Galaxy Book 12" powerful enough to handle that without lag (browsing, videos, coding)? Or would it heat/throttle a lot?

4. João Pedro

João Pedro Pen Pal - Newbie

Guys I need help. My Staedtler Pen fell in the floor and stopped working, I need a cheap replacement because I can't import from Amazon as it will take too long to arrive at my country. I need to chose between the following:

• S Pen for Galaxy Tab A 8.0 P350P355 P550 P555
    • S Pen for Galaxy Note 10.1 P900 P601 P05 P600
    Which one of these you guys recommend? Is it compatible with Galaxy Book 12?

I really need help, please, I was using this tablet every day for studying, can't live without it!!!

Is there another alternative to Staedtler with buttons on the pen? All the pens from Wacom doesn't list compatibility to Galaxy Book...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  5. sosimple

sosimple Pen Pal - Newbie

What I do know is that pen of my phone, galaxy note 8 and galaxy note 4 are working fine, including the button.

6. LeoZappa

LeoZappa Pen Pal - Newbie

I use the pen of the Galaxy Note 10' 2014, and it works perfectly. Though I prefer the original S-pen of the GB12 (the one with metallic clip, not to be confused with the one of the GB10 that has plastic clip). You can find it listed as S-pen for the Galaxy Tab 3.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I know you're asking for a Cheap Pen.....but those Silo'd S-pens from the Note 10.1 and Tab A will serve as a poor replacement for the staedtler pencil. I would highly recommend splurging a bit and getting the HP Zbook X2 pen. Works great with the Galaxy Book line, I use it exclusivly with my Galaxy Book 10.6 It has a Cintiq styled composition so it feels like a premium pen, its long and comfy to hold, it has a single side swtich, and it has a backend eraser which will work with the Galaxy Book. It also uses the older more roundish nibs...not the supper thin tooth pick nibs from the Staedtler and recent S-pens. (which in my opinon makes it way more comfy)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...VAuDICh0lbApkEAYYAyABEgIjZPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

8. Hydraulic Potato

I didn't have time to test much except a bit of browsing, but it seemed to work well. The display was running at 30Hz though, but that's probably because of my dock. I do not think it will have any trouble even at 60Hz. Which IDE do you want me to test? I can test it the next time I have access to the display.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  9. Hydraulic Potato

@darkmagistric What does the side button of the HP pen do on the GB? Does it still just erase, or will it work as a second button?

10. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It functions the same as the side button on the Samsung S-pens.

Hydraulic Potato likes this.