Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

This style of remote is not really what I am going for. But if you know any programs that can alter remote button mapping, then that would be a huge help.

Yeah, I figure a small adapter would be fine if it came down to it. The surface dial isn't really what I am going for either, though it is an interesting tool.

I actually have an old, wired tab mate. I am not really looking for that style of remote, but maybe I'll bust it out again and see how it feels.

The wearable keyboard seems pretty out there for me. What I am mostly looking for is something that is fully bluetooth so I don't have to bother with adapters - Has clicky-remote buttons and not keyboard buttons - preferably has a large dial of buttons - and has a flat surface.

This remote looks perfect, but you cannot remap the buttons. So if anyone know third party software that can do that, I would be really appreciative.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075X4RLK8?ref_=pe_623860_70668520_dpLink

Here is a quick doodle of what I am looking to do with the setup:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4san4ofphqa5gw/remote idea.png?dl=0

I want to just put a little rubber tape on the back of the remote, so i can place it on the side of the bezels, and give it enough grip to not slip while resting on the screen. Because I can use a lot of touch features in clip studio. having just a button dial would be sufficient.

But I feel like I should probably just go the safe route and buy the expresskey remote, since it is designed to do what I want it to do. I will just have to deal with the adapter sticking out of the side.

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

This video from @Shogmaster should be self explanatory:

Dweam likes this.
  3. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a lot! Much appreciated.

4. Fyfufai

Fyfufai Pen Pal - Newbie

I hadn't! Thank you very much. The keyboard under the tablet is how I use it for drawing, altho at that point sometimes I just prefer to remove it completely. I didnt know about the last 2 options tho! I gotta try them out

Shall do. Did they change their pen options back or is it just because of stability?

This is probably a bit too pricy for what you're looking for, but I've used the Nintendo Switch joycons to draw and it's a bless. They fit inside your hand sooo well, and I could map pretty much everything I needed! I had trouble making them stay paired, but I seem to have this problem with any bluetooth controller so the problem must be between the tablet and the chair

Another question, does anyone know whether wacom tablets can be used with the GB? Installing them on my SP used to make the pen stop working, but since it doesn't use the Wacom Feel drivers I have a hunch it might work. I figure I won't use it much but sometimes I miss drawing on normal tablets :p

5. zan5hin

zan5hin Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I've been playing around with having a Galaxy Book and a TabPro S some more, I was running them side by side in the living room, but then I decided to try something in my study and now I have the setup of my dreams.... previously with my Clevo laptop I could only have two external displays, but now it's kinda insane having so much screen space - 12+12+21+21+27= 93 inches of Windows 10 over 3 devices all running off the same keyboard and mouse:

[​IMG]

This gets around the main problem with Mouse without Borders which is that you cannot drag and drop windows between the two Samsung devices.... if you instead are running 4 monitors then you can drag and drop to the Dell monitors from either Samsung device.

I only use the laptop now as a kinda Smart NAS drive / seedbox, it has a setup that automatically downloads the TV shows I like, using apps called Sonarr and Jackett.

Still trying to decide if I will be watching TV eps / YouTube on the 21" Dell IPS or the Galaxy Book - it's probably gonna be OLED + PPI > IPS + Screen Size.

With this setup, when I am leaving the house I can just unplug the HDMI and USB hub from the Galaxy Book dongle and take it with me, or if I need more battery for all day use I can take the TabPro S as well..... if I'm gonna surf the net in bed or on the couch, I'll likely take the TabPro because the keyboard is shorter and more stable on my lap.

I could also whip out my old iPad Air which I don't use much these days for another 10" but that's probably just overkill, lol.

When it works properly without lag or issues, Mouse Without Borders is amazing!

My only remaining issues is not being able to adjust the brightness of the Samsung devices using the external keyboard, as I don't have a Fn key. Any solutions people?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Marty likes this.
  6. gobmonster

gobmonster Pen Pal - Newbie

So i've been on the market for a better tablet than the galaxy 12 for months, and i'm finally giving up hope. Besides the GB12x2 with qualcomm, there hasn't been anything put on the market that matches EMR on a win10 slate this thin. Such a shame!!

My current GB12 is only just now letting me down by showing streaks in the screen. I have two options 1. Either get a screen repair (and i really don't like the idea of having my system opened up like that), or 2. Replace the device in total.

A quick look on amazon / google and i'm finding these devices still run for about 800 minimum.

Any one here have any experience repairing / replacing there screen?

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

is it still under warranty?

8. gobmonster

gobmonster Pen Pal - Newbie

Unfortunately it expired July 2018.

I guess i'd feel most comfortable if there's any stories of this thing being capable of taking apart and putting back together without weird glitches. Would hate to have dead spots for the pen!

9. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

10. zan5hin

zan5hin Pen Pal - Newbie

So I didn't mention this before, but my fan developed a fault soon after I purchased it. It could have been like this before I purchased it (second-hand) but I think i exacerbated it because of where I specifically grab it before I fling it onto the bed or the couch. I know fling and tablet shouldn't go in the same sentence, but that's how I've treated my ipad air and the tabpro s as they don't have fans. Anyway, pressing a bit too hard around the top right quadrant might have damaged the fan internally. Also, it fell forwards or backwards a few times because it's such a different hold to the keyboard than the TabPro S, which locks tight into place..... with the flimsy GB keyboard, it flipped over a few times causing further damage likely.

Here is a video of the sound it was making, not pretty:

If I never hear that sound again, it will be too soon.

I've been burnt in the past with purchasing overseas devices, and my TabPro S from Ebay USA arrived with a tiny flaw in the OLED screen which I could have gotten fixed if it wasn't /overseas device from a dodgy eBay seller, so with my Galaxy Book I made sure to get one with a warranty. I took it to the Samsung Experience centre near me and 72 hours later, picked it up and it sounds like a completely different device. The back is not hot to the touch anymore, so I reckon it was probably faulty before i bought it. It sounds much more tolerable - and I am very happy now with the device and the service. They didn't even wipe my data.

In other news, it seems the OLED drought is over, as soon as this quarter, new devices with 15.6" OLED screens will be launched! https://www.notebookcheck.net/Every-OLED-laptop-announced-at-CES-2019.395041.0.html

Not tablets per se, but invariably they will be touch-enabled I would assume.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019