Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks! Yeah,that, that was one reason I wanted to try to find some sort of mappable remote alternative. But so far, I can't find anything that fits what I am looking for. The Express remote seems to be the best option, even with having a dangling dongle.

Strange how wacom only put USB-C ports on their recent mobile studios, but stuck to old USB for this product.

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I would dare say any bluetooth controller can potentially be mapped the way you want and work fine if your willing to experiment a bit.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Controller...ad+windows&dpPl=1&dpID=51+BZWUTC3L&ref=plSrch

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The ExpressKey Remote was designed around the time of the Comanion 2 which only used USB Type A. When they released the Mobile Studio, they just didn’t release an update to the express key remote. Now if they made it Bluetooth.....this would have solved the issue entirely......when I inquired to a Wacom rep at comiccon why it wasn’t Bluetooth or if they would release a Bluetooth model, they said Something to the effect that offices, computer labs, and studios that have multiple Cintiqs, Bluetooth based remotes would create a logistical pairing nightmare, so they opted for the wireless receivers instead since that locks each remote to a specific computer.

As far as options for the Galaxy Book....there are smaller usb-c adapters you can use with the Wacom remote receiver....they will still stick out, but it’s managable and not too obnoxiously jutting out.

Alternatively there is the Surface Dial....which works great for singular purposes such as brush resizing, but it’s way more limited in overall function.

The makers of Clip Studio also release their own express key remote called the Tabmate....that is Bluetooth based, but I haven’t tried yet.

And another potential option.....the Tap Wearable Keyboard. I got one for Christmas and I’m still figuring it out....seems potentially promising.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I use a D pad from an Azio Levetron Mech5 keyboard for shortcuts. Works quite nicely.

Dweam likes this.
  5. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

This style of remote is not really what I am going for. But if you know any programs that can alter remote button mapping, then that would be a huge help.

Yeah, I figure a small adapter would be fine if it came down to it. The surface dial isn't really what I am going for either, though it is an interesting tool.

I actually have an old, wired tab mate. I am not really looking for that style of remote, but maybe I'll bust it out again and see how it feels.

The wearable keyboard seems pretty out there for me. What I am mostly looking for is something that is fully bluetooth so I don't have to bother with adapters - Has clicky-remote buttons and not keyboard buttons - preferably has a large dial of buttons - and has a flat surface.

This remote looks perfect, but you cannot remap the buttons. So if anyone know third party software that can do that, I would be really appreciative.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075X4RLK8?ref_=pe_623860_70668520_dpLink

Here is a quick doodle of what I am looking to do with the setup:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4san4ofphqa5gw/remote idea.png?dl=0

I want to just put a little rubber tape on the back of the remote, so i can place it on the side of the bezels, and give it enough grip to not slip while resting on the screen. Because I can use a lot of touch features in clip studio. having just a button dial would be sufficient.

But I feel like I should probably just go the safe route and buy the expresskey remote, since it is designed to do what I want it to do. I will just have to deal with the adapter sticking out of the side.

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

This video from @Shogmaster should be self explanatory:

Dweam likes this.
  7. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a lot! Much appreciated.

8. Fyfufai

Fyfufai Pen Pal - Newbie

I hadn't! Thank you very much. The keyboard under the tablet is how I use it for drawing, altho at that point sometimes I just prefer to remove it completely. I didnt know about the last 2 options tho! I gotta try them out

Shall do. Did they change their pen options back or is it just because of stability?

This is probably a bit too pricy for what you're looking for, but I've used the Nintendo Switch joycons to draw and it's a bless. They fit inside your hand sooo well, and I could map pretty much everything I needed! I had trouble making them stay paired, but I seem to have this problem with any bluetooth controller so the problem must be between the tablet and the chair

Another question, does anyone know whether wacom tablets can be used with the GB? Installing them on my SP used to make the pen stop working, but since it doesn't use the Wacom Feel drivers I have a hunch it might work. I figure I won't use it much but sometimes I miss drawing on normal tablets :p

9. zan5hin

zan5hin Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I've been playing around with having a Galaxy Book and a TabPro S some more, I was running them side by side in the living room, but then I decided to try something in my study and now I have the setup of my dreams.... previously with my Clevo laptop I could only have two external displays, but now it's kinda insane having so much screen space - 12+12+21+21+27= 93 inches of Windows 10 over 3 devices all running off the same keyboard and mouse:

[​IMG]

This gets around the main problem with Mouse without Borders which is that you cannot drag and drop windows between the two Samsung devices.... if you instead are running 4 monitors then you can drag and drop to the Dell monitors from either Samsung device.

I only use the laptop now as a kinda Smart NAS drive / seedbox, it has a setup that automatically downloads the TV shows I like, using apps called Sonarr and Jackett.

Still trying to decide if I will be watching TV eps / YouTube on the 21" Dell IPS or the Galaxy Book - it's probably gonna be OLED + PPI > IPS + Screen Size.

With this setup, when I am leaving the house I can just unplug the HDMI and USB hub from the Galaxy Book dongle and take it with me, or if I need more battery for all day use I can take the TabPro S as well..... if I'm gonna surf the net in bed or on the couch, I'll likely take the TabPro because the keyboard is shorter and more stable on my lap.

I could also whip out my old iPad Air which I don't use much these days for another 10" but that's probably just overkill, lol.

When it works properly without lag or issues, Mouse Without Borders is amazing!

My only remaining issues is not being able to adjust the brightness of the Samsung devices using the external keyboard, as I don't have a Fn key. Any solutions people?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Marty likes this.
  10. gobmonster

gobmonster Pen Pal - Newbie

So i've been on the market for a better tablet than the galaxy 12 for months, and i'm finally giving up hope. Besides the GB12x2 with qualcomm, there hasn't been anything put on the market that matches EMR on a win10 slate this thin. Such a shame!!

My current GB12 is only just now letting me down by showing streaks in the screen. I have two options 1. Either get a screen repair (and i really don't like the idea of having my system opened up like that), or 2. Replace the device in total.

A quick look on amazon / google and i'm finding these devices still run for about 800 minimum.

Any one here have any experience repairing / replacing there screen?