Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. zan5hin

zan5hin Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, two OLEDs are better than one, after following this guide, apparently Windows 10 has an easy way to connect over wifi with no lag using Miracast which I heard about but never used before because I thought it was more for connecting to TVs: https://itstillworks.com/connect-laptop-through-wifi-second-display-31534.html

[​IMG]

It's awesome! I have a webinar playing on the TabPro, I paused it, pressed Win + Shift + S to take a screenshot in Onenote, and pasted it into Onenote which is on the Galaxy Book!

[​IMG]

I could get used to this....the audio is stuttering on the extended display, I will have to try to resolve that, as it's a big problem as I want to use the extended display for watching TV eps / YouTube / Training videos mostly.

Other than that, the screen isn't running hot anymore, the fan isn't so bad yesterday, I think she's a keeper. However I still get dismal battery life, I don't know how people report 6-7 hours with these things, I only ever got 4 hours with the TabPro and now I get the same 4 hours with the GB12

[​IMG]

This is with screen at about 70% brightness, about 30 tabs open in chrome (that's how I roll, and why I needed an i5), various other apps, and copying from a external USB 2.0 drive.... without the drive the draw is about 10,000 like the TabPro was. Actually it is nice to see I can plug-in the drive without having power connected, I couldn't do that with the TabPro.

One strange issue I am having, is that I am accidentally tearing off Google Chrome tabs. This didn't happen on the TabPro. Either it is something funky with GestureSign, or the touchpad on this device.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    WillAdams likes this.
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Those figures are likely with wifi, bluetooth, LTE radio etc turned off, brightness turned down and at the lowest power settings.

dstrauss likes this.
  3. zan5hin

zan5hin Pen Pal - Newbie

So after a few days with the Galaxy Book, I've decided to keep it, however there are some apparent flaws. I read a bunch of info and reviews but now re-reading it, I understand better. Even one reviewer mentioned being able to click the touchpad from the wrist rest... also I just can't sit in bed and chill out with this tablet any longer. The GB12 is just too long (see my previous images) compared to the TabPro and the plasticky keyboard is flimsy, sometime mouse clicks don't unclick... also the tablet screen can flop forward pretty easily, this never happens with the TabPro, which is much more solid. I have to use a old Belkin laptop cooling pad to put under the GB if I ever want to use it in bed. I also ordered a mini table for this purpose.

The speed is great, i5 really powers through stuff, everything is faster, so I can't go back now.
    Flipping the keyboard underneath is a good idea, I did this while watching Venom last night.

I find that Miracast is useless, too laggy, maybe it's the 2K screen on the TabPro is too much for it. Instead, after researching apps for virtual KVM, I was thinking of Synergy, I actually installed Sharemouse but it had bugs. Then I found Mouse Without Borders. It's funny when you find an app that's been around for a decade, that as an IT and Windows Pro user you have never heard of before! Anyway, it's magic, it's smooth as silk. I can copy links from the browser on the Galaxy Book and paste them into Chrome on the TabPro. Shame it doesn't have file transfer over 100MB but that's not a dealbreaker.

If your workflow could use more screen space, and you like the Galaxy Book with OLED, you should consider an old 12" TabPro S as your second display/ You don't even need 8/256 model - 4/128 would be enough and actually, the cost for these on the second hand marketplace is comparable to a new USB-C IPS 1080p portable monitor, except it has it's own power supply instead of draining the main device...... if I had thought of this earlier I would have gotten a Galaxy Book at the start of this year.

I'm gonna slowly get the GB ready and then reinstall windows on the TabPro because it's a bit laggy especially booting up, start using Gesture Sign next time instead of MultiSwipe, etc.

One good thing about a new PC install is that it makes you search for new apps. I found that Raindrop.io (bookmarking) has a windows app, hidden on their website. Also, found a great app called Station https://getstation.com/ which is awesome, and FREE! which collates all your cloud apps.

4. lightstrum

lightstrum Pen Pal - Newbie

If you like to lay in bed then get the Brydge 12.3. I use it like that all the time. As I get used to it I like it more and more. I know there were other opinions here, but it really turns the GB into a laptop, stomach top, chest top. The orgami keyboard drove me crazy. This has restored sanity and the GB is a long term keeper.

5. 2ndHouse

2ndHouse Pen Pal - Newbie

So I finally got around to testing this. It works much better for me in both Clip Studio and Sketchbook than the old script. The only program that the new script won't work in is the Chrome browser. The old script didn't work with Chrome either, it seems to be a problematic program for both scripts.

I'm using version 1.3 of your script, is that still the latest version? Anyway, thanks much for the work you put into this! Makes using the SPen much more enjoyable.

Piton812 and WillAdams like this.
  6. Piton812

Piton812 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanx, yes for now 1.3 it's the latest version but I'm working on figuring out how to make autohotkey script works in absoluteley all apps (Chrome for example and so on)... when I solve the issue there will be the 1.4 version ;)

2ndHouse and DRTigerlilly like this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Apology tour - already broke vow of self-control, restraint, and sticking with Surface Go

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Lol. You're far worse than me sir. :D

9. dstrauss

It's a VERY GOOD THING I am far worse than all of our tribe!

10. dstrauss

BIG CORRECTION - GALAXY BOOK 12 DOES SUPPORT MST!

Why is this important - because you can daisy chain two displayport monitors to the GB12 with only one USB-C cable. I've said before its a no-go, but the problem was apparently my failure to be able to put the SH850 monitor into DP-MST mode (it's in the Menu setting for Displayport monitors). If you have this specific monitor, you also have a USB A 3.0 hub, so it is effectively a one cable docking solution for the GB12.

Now for why I learned this. As you know, I've been clearing inventory pending the arrival next week (fingers crossed) of the Spectre Folio 4k. The GB12 8gb has been sold; the SB2 handed down to another lawyer; and I was using the SG LTE in the interim, and had found the DP-MST setting when trying to use it with a single USB-C port. Of course the SG went south on me too. Yes, it knew it was close to the chopping block as well, so the Bluetooth disappeared - I mean completely - and no keyboard or external mouse for you Strauss. I've even uninstalled the wireless devices, erased their drivers, and after restart still no Bluetooth - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - but it's my own fault because it knew it might (now IS) going back.

So I had to dig into the closet and saddle up my son's GB12-Lite (4gb/128gb BB model) and it fired up immediately and lo and behold - BOTH monitors came up and I have my usual two monitor plus tablet screen-fest. My apologies to anyone out there that read my prior reports of no MST support (so you had to use both USB-C ports to get this).

PS - Amazing (and sad) how these GB12's keep coming to my rescue and yet I treat them so shabbily.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Azzart, Tams, Marty and 2 others like this.