Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. lightstrum

lightstrum Pen Pal - Newbie

I am sitting by a window in daylight, there is a big visible difference on mine in the key backlighting, The trackpad isn't great, but now that I am used to it, it is okay, I really like the keyboard and the lapability is excellent. I can't see anything better at this point, but Brydge is showing an updated version for the Pixel Slate that has USBC and a much larger trackpad, but the WIN key is now a google key. Anyway maybe worth a try when it is released.

2. zan5hin

zan5hin Pen Pal - Newbie

Hiya! Gee, it's nice to be part of a live thread regarding my main device. The reason I say this, is that I posted on here when I got my TabPro S, and in the 18 months since then, no one bothered to comment: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/samsung-galaxy-tabpro-s-sm-w700.67640/page-56#post-502159

Seems that device is abandonware.... but actually, the new Galaxy Book I bought tonight, at the moment is not doing so well. I finally thought it time to upgrade, but you know what they say, once you go OLED, you can't go back, so unless I wanted to drop $2k on an old Lenovo X1 or old Spectre X360, I could only get a GB 12" 8GB/256 - essentially like the TabPro S I'm typing on now, but with the i5 and backlit keyboard and few other tweaks.... got a good deal, US$550 ($750 AUD)

However, I barely got started, just installed Chrome, GestureSign, modified the registry to stop the screen dimming the OLED (have had this tweaked for 18 months on my TabPro with no issues) and tried Throttlestop because the fan noise is hard to get used to having had a passive machine for 18 months.... and then I upgraded to Windows 1803 and it died.... black screen of death, other errors, just a mess.... owned it for 2 hours and already done a samsung factory reset. Fingers crossed it works the next time around.... will try to update to 1803 first on a virgin install.

At least finding Gesturesign as good.... I have a license for Multiswipe which is a bag of dicks, and my license wouldn't work so I won't be sorry to see it gone, crashing piece of crap.

I wouldn't say I've made the wrong choice by upgrade, however some issues I have found immediately have made me sad:
    • The keyboard cover is made of a softer plastic, TabPro is much more solid, in fact I'm able to click the mousepad through the wrist rest if I push on the right spot
    • The way the tablet is held on the cover makes it a bit longer than before, it's not as easy to use in bed, it knocks up against my upper thigh when lying upright with my legs tucked into my body.
    • The fan! *shakes fist at sky* Oh how I loved having a passive device, it was just a tad too slow, I'm a heavy user, I use lots of chrome tabs, lots of stuff going on...... I really don't know if I can live with the fan noise, I am enamoured with my TabPro over the last 18 months.
    • My finger gets burnt (burnt!) if I touch the screen on the top middle, in front of the cpu/gpu if I hold it there for 5 seconds.
    If the Galaxy Book 2 done properly, 8th gen i5 with more cores and lower base CPU frequency, instead of a snapdragon device that gets raped in every review I read - I wouldn't be having this problem.

With all the extras of the Galaxy Book - i5, backlight, 4G SIM, SD slot, dual speakers, more viewing angles - after just a few hours I am still 50/50 on whether to keep it or not..... I thought I could live with the fan seeming I have an old notebook in my room downloading TV eps for me, but I just don't know at the moment.... I'll keep it for a few weeks and hope the speed grows on me.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    WillAdams likes this.
  3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

the deal on your SGB was new or used?

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

This one bothers me - I've used a GB12 on and off for 14 months and never had it get that hot. I'd be suspicious of that if I were you.

5. zan5hin

zan5hin Pen Pal - Newbie

Used. Facebook Marketplace. I like to get a good deal, had to really haggle, most wanted $850 AUD but I've seen them go for as low as $750 on eBay and chatted to a few and said that I'm not in a hurry. It's just a shame the 8/256 model doesn't pop up all that often on eBay over here, where I could have used a voucher..... people list them unrealistically high... I could have gotten a SP6 for $650.

Yeah it wasn't good. Maybe installing throttlestop was a problem, I don't have much experience with it, but anyway, Windows 1803 seems to have installed properly this time.....it says no updates available and it's stable. Time to build up my portfolio of apps and settings and logins and see how it goes.

I've had a thought bubble.... maybe keeping my TabPro instead of selling it, and using it as a second display.... I would need to find out if I can go USB-C to USB-C to do this, or USB-C to multiport adapter -> HDMI port because the only thing better than one OLED display, is two OLED displays, lol

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  6. l0gan5

l0gan5 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone,

I've just got myself a GB 10.6 4G/LTE version. I noticed when I put the SIM card in, that it appears I can also use a MicroSD card on the reverse side of the SIM tray. Can I just confirm this is correct ?

Thanks very much!

WillAdams likes this.
  7. zan5hin

zan5hin Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, two OLEDs are better than one, after following this guide, apparently Windows 10 has an easy way to connect over wifi with no lag using Miracast which I heard about but never used before because I thought it was more for connecting to TVs: https://itstillworks.com/connect-laptop-through-wifi-second-display-31534.html

[​IMG]

It's awesome! I have a webinar playing on the TabPro, I paused it, pressed Win + Shift + S to take a screenshot in Onenote, and pasted it into Onenote which is on the Galaxy Book!

[​IMG]

I could get used to this....the audio is stuttering on the extended display, I will have to try to resolve that, as it's a big problem as I want to use the extended display for watching TV eps / YouTube / Training videos mostly.

Other than that, the screen isn't running hot anymore, the fan isn't so bad yesterday, I think she's a keeper. However I still get dismal battery life, I don't know how people report 6-7 hours with these things, I only ever got 4 hours with the TabPro and now I get the same 4 hours with the GB12

[​IMG]

This is with screen at about 70% brightness, about 30 tabs open in chrome (that's how I roll, and why I needed an i5), various other apps, and copying from a external USB 2.0 drive.... without the drive the draw is about 10,000 like the TabPro was. Actually it is nice to see I can plug-in the drive without having power connected, I couldn't do that with the TabPro.

One strange issue I am having, is that I am accidentally tearing off Google Chrome tabs. This didn't happen on the TabPro. Either it is something funky with GestureSign, or the touchpad on this device.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    WillAdams likes this.
  8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Those figures are likely with wifi, bluetooth, LTE radio etc turned off, brightness turned down and at the lowest power settings.

dstrauss likes this.
  9. zan5hin

zan5hin Pen Pal - Newbie

So after a few days with the Galaxy Book, I've decided to keep it, however there are some apparent flaws. I read a bunch of info and reviews but now re-reading it, I understand better. Even one reviewer mentioned being able to click the touchpad from the wrist rest... also I just can't sit in bed and chill out with this tablet any longer. The GB12 is just too long (see my previous images) compared to the TabPro and the plasticky keyboard is flimsy, sometime mouse clicks don't unclick... also the tablet screen can flop forward pretty easily, this never happens with the TabPro, which is much more solid. I have to use a old Belkin laptop cooling pad to put under the GB if I ever want to use it in bed. I also ordered a mini table for this purpose.

The speed is great, i5 really powers through stuff, everything is faster, so I can't go back now.
    Flipping the keyboard underneath is a good idea, I did this while watching Venom last night.

I find that Miracast is useless, too laggy, maybe it's the 2K screen on the TabPro is too much for it. Instead, after researching apps for virtual KVM, I was thinking of Synergy, I actually installed Sharemouse but it had bugs. Then I found Mouse Without Borders. It's funny when you find an app that's been around for a decade, that as an IT and Windows Pro user you have never heard of before! Anyway, it's magic, it's smooth as silk. I can copy links from the browser on the Galaxy Book and paste them into Chrome on the TabPro. Shame it doesn't have file transfer over 100MB but that's not a dealbreaker.

If your workflow could use more screen space, and you like the Galaxy Book with OLED, you should consider an old 12" TabPro S as your second display/ You don't even need 8/256 model - 4/128 would be enough and actually, the cost for these on the second hand marketplace is comparable to a new USB-C IPS 1080p portable monitor, except it has it's own power supply instead of draining the main device...... if I had thought of this earlier I would have gotten a Galaxy Book at the start of this year.

I'm gonna slowly get the GB ready and then reinstall windows on the TabPro because it's a bit laggy especially booting up, start using Gesture Sign next time instead of MultiSwipe, etc.

One good thing about a new PC install is that it makes you search for new apps. I found that Raindrop.io (bookmarking) has a windows app, hidden on their website. Also, found a great app called Station https://getstation.com/ which is awesome, and FREE! which collates all your cloud apps.

10. lightstrum

lightstrum Pen Pal - Newbie

If you like to lay in bed then get the Brydge 12.3. I use it like that all the time. As I get used to it I like it more and more. I know there were other opinions here, but it really turns the GB into a laptop, stomach top, chest top. The orgami keyboard drove me crazy. This has restored sanity and the GB is a long term keeper.