Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The battery on the GB10.6 is even wise than I thought. Had it charged up (85%, set it to that) and attended a 3-hr lecture. Just recording voice and taking notes in UWP OneNote app with Wi-Fi on sucked the juice down to 15% by the end of the lecture.
    I really love the device, why doesn't Sammy give us the version 2 of it? I'll take the WOS and pay a little more.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

WillAdams likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Back to that floppy origami keyboard thingy...

Yesterday at BB I finally saw the iPad Pro 12.9 in it keyboard folio, and it is a solid design like a laptop...as muttered "why the H can't Samsung do this," I then realized Apple cheated - or at least can cheat, BECAUSE THEY DON'T SUPPORT A TOUCHPAD/MOUSE. Because of that, the keyboard sits on the forward edge of the base, so the screen and back support can rest on the back of that plate.

Another marvel of Apple engineering enabled by its limited feature set...

SO my latest thought is to just get a good leather folio I like, reinforce one side with a stiff plat of some sort, then just set the GB12 on the folio for stability. I like carrying a small folio anyway, so this is a good "sour grapes" alternative to trying to find some way to attach support to the existing keyboard.

Bishop and DRTigerlilly like this.
  3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I was thinking about the Incipio case for the GB12 for you. I used something like that for the original SP1 b/c of the limited kickstand. Like you said it would need reinforcement though, b/c it will weaken over time.

dstrauss likes this.
  4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Also worth saying that Apple recognizes the device is a touch screen first. As such, I would assume the goal is to get you close enough to the screen that doing touch input, for selection processes, scrolling, and such, is as easy and ergonomic as possible. Less gorilla arm. That's nice. It's a good design for a certain kind of input.

All about individual needs. I'm sure there are people who wish Windows devices helped make touch better by making the screen closer.

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If that was their goal, I think they more or less failed. The iPad Pro Keyboard props the iPad up at such a specific angle, that to jump between Typing and accessing the touch screen is downright uncomfortable. Like with my Surface Pro, when I'm bouncing between typing and touch.....reclining the Pro to a lower angle is way preferable then keeping the display upright. Even if the angle technically makes the top part of the touch screen a bit further from your hands.....its still way more intuitive. And with the Apple Pencil and the rather huge uptick of Artists continuing to flock to the iPad....offering more angles of incline would benefit them well. I know an artist who uses and loves to death his 1st gen Ipad Pro 12inch....and he hates drawing flat, so he bought a 3rd party case with a adjustable kickstand....and at Dr Sketchy sessions, he draws in landscape and mid levels of incline almost exclusively. At this point I would say there are about 4 regular iPad Pro & Pencil artists who attend my local Dr. Sketchy events.....once that guy bought his kickstand case......the other 3 were so impressed they all bought the same case. (which weirded me out a bit to see when the all had the same case....its like when you walk into a Starbucks and there are 10 people working on their Laptops and they are all Macbooks...that weird sort of hive conformity.)

I just amazes me that Apple still puts out a subpar 1st Party Keyboard Solution for the iPad and it still sells like crazy.

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I like that keyboard, more than the one from the galaxy book for instance
    My only problem with it is that it costs an outrageous €220.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Conversely enough, I find the Galaxy Books to have the most comfortable Keyboard of all my devices.....even more so then the Surface Type Covers. I love how soft and springy the keys feel. The iPad Pro keys feel so....stiff and unmoving....just not a comfy typing experience for me. I also feel the current Macbook keyboards are god awful. My local apple store had the New Macbook Air on display right next to the old one......just typing on both of them back and forth......I have a feeling the old Macbook Air will probably continue to sell very well despite the new model being out....just because of the superior keyboard on the old model.

dstrauss likes this.
  8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

My liking is probably because the keys are very well separated one another, which I find good when typing without looking at the keyboard.

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Apple should make a leather keyboard.

Azzart and dstrauss like this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I don't think you can use that case with the GB12 keyboard, which make it a tough choice for me.