Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Caporeira

Caporeira Pen Pal - Newbie

I want to buy one year old GB12 without mobile internet.
    - the warranty is two years ?
    - how much is it worth (one year old) ?
    - how long does the battery after one year ?
    - what could be worse working (like a battery) ?
    - what should I watch out for when buying a not new GB12 ?

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

• One year warranty.
    • Value - tough call. You can still buy new but 8gfb/256gb still $1000-$1200 or so, but eBay New (other) models, which are usually open box returns, are around $800
    • My one year old's battery is still good for solid 6-7 hours of productivity and web browsing - just don't do games or much streaming so don't know where that stands
    • Worse working?
    • Things to watch out for: (knocking on wood) mine has held up so well, with no complaints, so don't know anything specific that can (could) go wrong. Just look for the usual issues - screen burn in (since it's AMOLED it can burn in, especially check the bottom edge of the screen to see if you can see shadows of the task bar); uneven screen lighting; pen skipping or not registering; be sure to check both USB-C ports with a memory stick (may need an adapter) to be sure they can read and write.

thatcomicsguy and nnthemperor like this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There's no time frame....but the new updated Galaxy Book 2 (with Kickstand fingers crossed) should be...….hopefully hitting soon (come on Samsung, unveil the damn thing!)....I would greatly advise against getting the old/current Book 12 until the new one hits. Even if you still want to get the old one....prices for it overall should drop once its successor comes out.

Can't speak for the 12-incher....but I've had the 10.6 model for quite a while.....over a year and a half and it still works perfectly. Even with heavy use it didn't really gain any significant wear and tear, ports all still work, screen is still perfect.....pending if they refresh the 10.6 inch model as well.....I would still gladly get another one should my current one die or break. I will say the 10.6 inch model is quite affordable now...I've seen a lot of ebay auctions for it.....brand new/unopened in the $300-$400 range which is a very good deal in my opinion.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. dstrauss

This is a great point - the Galaxy Book 2 should be a compelling upgrade. It's surely getting that kickstand (a big improvement over origami cases), and with Gen 8 Core processors the norm now, it should get both a performance and battery boost, hopefully 16gb/512gb options, and my bet is strong on at least one Thunderbolt 3 port.

I JUST CAN'T FIGURE SAMSUNG'S FOOT DRAGGING...

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That was one of the techniques I was trying out --- I just couldn't get it to work consistently or quickly enough to not make me angry.

6. Caporeira

Caporeira Pen Pal - Newbie

How it looks kickstand finger cross ?
    When will be new galaxy book 2?

I can't find this information in Google.

7. dstrauss

No one knows - I'm not even sure Samsung does anymore...

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

9. dstrauss

Au contraire - no rant from this corner - just a few crocodile tears and the satisfaction of knowing I laid down a good bet on the HP Spectre Folio 13...

I really don't see them doing an Intel version of the GB2 now, especially since it is a little smaller in two dimensions. I also think they are avoiding any further direct competition with MS - once the Surface Go releases with LTE why would you choose the GB2 except for Wacom EMR...wait, do I smell a conspiracy here concerning the "delay"in both the LTE Surface Go and Surface Pro 6...@Bronsky - what do you think...

10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Pow.

That just locked the eBay price of Intel GBs in the high dollar bracket for an extended period of time. Probably a couple of years.

The value of all your GBs just turned from silver to gold. Rejoice.

dstrauss likes this.