Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

@Azzart, your pen looks out of range in your video. I can scroll in Onenote with my palm if my pen isn't in range. But I've had years of being used to always putting my pen down first to reject touch. These post-ipad devices are such a huge improvement on the touch screens from pre-ipad times, I don't notice it at all. Once my pen is in range (and ignore touch is selected), no issues with palm rejection at all for me.

That's yet another reason why I could never really abandon EMR. The pen range for AES pens is still smaller than EMR's range.

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I understand what you mean but... working that way is just too unnatural after an entire life drawing the normal way. I'll try and use a glove as much as I can.

It's also not a matter of pen in range or not: on a computer working normally this behaviour with the palm shouldn't happen no matter if the pen is detected or not. In fact neither the Surface Book nor the Galaxy Book 12 behave that way when you rest your palm on the screen, no matter if you have the pen.

There's some kind of driver/software misbehaviour going on and I suspect it's from Samsung side. I'll try to see if there's any update from Samsung I can install but I'm pessimist on this.

3. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

That's fair. I started drawing seriously on a tablet pc, so it's pretty ingrained in me now.

The GB10 touch screen acts the same way as my T901, which is why I hadn't noticed anything unusual. Hm, I wonder if the Zbook acts the same way. I'll have to test it.

Azzart likes this.
  4. Azzart

Yes please! Report your findings! :D

By the way, after installing the Samsung Update app and updating everything it seems slightly better. Slightly.

5. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Happy to report that there is no scrolling via palm. Very interesting. I guess I hadn't realized how far touch screens have come in terms of palm rejection. It's looking more like I don't need a button dedicated to turning touch on/off.

Azzart likes this.
  6. Azzart

Cool. That's how it should be. :)
    No clue why the Book 10.6 doesn't do the palm rejection correctly: it's the first time I see something like this on a tablet pc. Not even the Cintiq Companion and the Cintiq 27 acted so wild when Windows 10 introduced palm rejection issues on those devices.

7. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Anyone else experiencing the slow screen refresh on the GB10.6? It's pretty irregular but something after closing a window, there's a long straight colorful line just above the task bar that stays for something and goes away when I open another window. Will try to get a picture.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

8. gobmonster

gobmonster Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the way a person writes is a major contributor for how the device handles palm rejection. I write much like how I imagine a crab would use a fountain pen. I naturally float the pen less than an inch from the display, totally used to digital now, but the pen still doesn't stay in the activation zone.

For the worst case scenarios, I did create a pseudo program to turn the touch screen on and off. Takes about a second to toggle. It requires a microsoft driver that's buried in a 1gb windows file though, not sure if thats worth it. Also in clip studio, I've disabled single finger canvas dragging.

9. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

You disable that?? That's basically my litmus test for whether an art program is worth investigating or not. No single finger pan = DOA. Two finger pan sucks because I'm always accidentally also pinch zooming simultaneously like, no thanks.

This is still an incredibly rare feature, too. Turns out it's just lazy palm rejection?

Zbook aside, CSP is my actual unicorn.

darkmagistric likes this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Is this unique to your experience or do other owners have the same issue with palm rejection. Given MS's delay in producing the LTE version of the Go, I am toying with the idea of picking up a cheap GB10 for now. How difficult is it to dock? I only need one Display and a couple of full sized USB 3.0 ports.