Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

It's a thermoplastic that melts around 150F into something that's like moldable clay. It's fantastic for diy and WAY cheaper than a 3D printer. They generally stay hot enough to mold for a couple minutes. It's reusable, so you can heat it up as many times as you want until you get it right or just use it for something else. It cools down into a hard plastic that's quite pleasant to the touch.

The most common brand is Instamorph, but there are lots of clones and they're all basically the same. You can add color pellets too for all the fun and games!

I found that with the large blob, it stuck to the pen just fine, but for the button, I needed to use glue to hold the small button on. Elmer's glue seems to work for now, but super glue is probably a better long term solution.

The part of the s pen plus that removes the inner s pen actually unscrews the wrong way. That is, right tighty lefty loosey, right? Nope, that part unscrews to the right and tightens to the left. It's weird. The silver pen part unscrews normally, so it's probably not a cultural difference.

I've found that with this new width, I can work without the weight of the cap just fine. I'm super pleased with the results.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. yeah_mike

yeah_mike Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't comment on model number specifically, but my GB12 from the official Samsung store up here in Canada came with Windows 10 Pro

3. yodamiked

yodamiked Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I decided to give the 10.6 another chance, and ordered one from Amazon Warehouse during Prime days here in the UK. Not as good of a deal as I got it back in February, but not bad. Fingers crossed the headaches I was getting with my last one were just a faulty screen or something. If not, I at least have Amazon’s pretty flexible return policy. iPad Pro and Miix 700 just couldn’t quite match the sketching feel.

4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So it looks like there might be hope we could getting more than just WOA options for the upcoming GB12 refresh:

(Tablet-News)
    "The EEC is a Russian authority, that certified a bunch of versions of the device, like SM-W737, SM-W738 and derived versions, like the SM-W737A, SM-W737N and SM-W737V and SM-W738N."

[​IMG]

Previously the 2017 GB12 had models numbers SM-W720N (Wi-Fi) and SM-W728N (LTE).

Following the same naming pattern, I'm hoping W737N and W738N refer to the 8th Gen Core i5 Wi-Fi and LTE models respectively, with the W737 "A" and "V" models being the ARM variants.

C'mon, Samsung I know you're good for this...don't hamstring this beautiful tablet with only WOA...and the light will shine upon you at IFA. :)

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Kumabjorn - thank you so much for your comments about Win 10 1803 in the Surface Book 2 thread - BECAUSE it made me decide to restore and start from scratch with the GB12 - and AMAZING it is up and running again on the straight and level (actually a little snappier this time). Pulled down all the drivers from Samsung as well as Windows update and I'm back and going. In fact, the dual monitors connected and were recognized immediately, as well as my USB hub (Ethernet and USB printer). It lloks like software and not hardware, which is a real relief!

@Marty - keep the good news coming on the Sammy updates - wouldn't it be a kick if they stuck an S-Pen with the new Bluetooth capabilities in a silo and beat the 11 month old Acer Switch 7 to market!

UPDATE: Finally read the fine print at the site you referenced Marty:

"Expect the Galaxy Book 2018 to also come with an S Pen, a new gen one similar to the Note 9 model. Also, the price will be a bit steep, perhaps in the $1000 range or more." Now "what if" they even give this puppy TB3 thanks to 8th gen processor - what's that light-headed feeling I'm getting (the knowledge that AMEX will be calling)...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    thatcomicsguy, Marty and Kumabjorn like this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I wonder if that means in a silo? Good to see they're updating the 10.6 GB as well with gen 8.

Marty likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I HATE people quoting themselves, but I do it anyway: in the paraphrased immortal words of Caesar to Commodus in my obviously favorite movie...

Your failures as a Device are my failures as a User!

The GB12 wasn't just upgraded to 1803, it was first side graded from Win10 Home to Win10 Pro, and the mixture of that, with the genius of 1803, brought the house of cards down. The reset was then from the base Win10 Pro files straight to 1803...hopefully this will stick.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey, hey!

I just took a trip down to the local post office, and whaddayouknow? My Wacom Bamboo pen showed up!

It works beautifully!

The pen cap even works properly. Now I have two working full-sized pens for my N9P!

Very happy!

Selofain and dstrauss like this.
  9. SITHU LWIN

SITHU LWIN Pen Pal - Newbie

just an update. After about a week i tried the pen (randomly) and it's working again! however, the air command button has no response..but i use the icon on taskbar for it anyway.. good to know the expensive pen still works, but my tip is damaged due to me using a pincer to take it out..its pretty sharp now, hope it doesnt scratch my screen...probably get a replacemnt tip on ebay....

10. 2ndHouse

2ndHouse Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all, new to the forums. Just got a GB12 (mostly for art) and could use some help with a few things...

1. The keyboard cover is a bit flimsy and I've already dropped the tablet once. The tablet seems fine, but the USB-C cable connector got slightly bent. I carefully bent it back but now the tablet charges very slowly. I hope it's just the cable and not an internal problem from the drop. I've searched Google and Amazon for a replacement cable but can't find an official Samsung one. Will any USB-C 3.0 cable work? Might pick one up at a local store if so.

2. I've noticed that I can't set my pen button to right click through the GB settings, so I'm using Windows Ink for the first time to long press right click (always had Ink disabled on my desktop PC). It works fine in Windows and Photoshop, but I can't right click layers or the canvas in Clip Studio via long press. Not being able to right click at all in Clip Studio is a pain. Anyone else have this problem with Clip Studio? Anyone know a fix? At this point really missing the two button functionality of my Intuos 4 pen I use on the desktop. Could right click and change brush size on the fly with that setup. Any way to get better pen button functionality on the GB?