Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. v@gelis

v@gelis Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello!
    A quick question dear friends. What could be the difference between these 2 models?
    SM-W723NZKAXAR
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-GALA...F8&qid=1531314126&sr=1-6&keywords=galaxy+book
    and this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Touc...F8&qid=1531314654&sr=1-8&keywords=galaxy+book
    Would you order from the first seller (first link), as it stands out to be much cheaper? Do you think this is reliable? I live abroad (overseas) and it would be a major fuss if needed to send it back...
    thank you in advance for your help!

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That's interesting - never saw the GB12 with Windows 10 Pro except at Samsung's business site, often with bundled accessories like the SH850 monitor - are you sure that's not used or otherwise upgraded? The model number is different than my retail GB12 that came with Windows 10 Home (requiring a business WinPro upgrade) - Mine's W720, these are W723...

Read Amazon's special return requirements on computers very carefully...

3. v@gelis

v@gelis Pen Pal - Newbie

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh, those are so cool!

By the time I hit a grade level where pens were a necessity, it was "Bic" ballpoint all the way.

The greatest giveaway that humans are really a race of monkeys or nervous otters dressed in jeans and tee shirts is that even those perfectly engineered fail-safe roller pens would manage to "explode" with nearly daily regularity, resulting in a sticky blue mess. The teacher unlucky enough to be attending would always wave their hands skyward and cry something about, "How? No, really, HOW??"

I know how! -Young teeth and finger nails and being driven institutionally nuts through forced row-sitting for hours on end.

One of my favorite Jordan B. Peterson quotes, (paraphrased because I can't remember): "At fourteen, the more masculine boys are done with raising their hand to ask to pee. Just DONE. And who can blame them?"

dstrauss likes this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Kids in my high school would suck the end of a bic pen so long and hard that they would draw the ink up the tube, into the plastic body and into their mouths (because the plastic cap on the back of the barrel had been chewed-off the first day of class). Unlike the washable blue ink in fountain pens Bic ink was indelible. I remember kids with blue stains around their mouths for days.

thatcomicsguy and dstrauss like this.
  6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I remember this happening in my junior high too! Can somebody explain this to me? I remember walking the hallways and "around back" at school and seeing groups of kids gnawing away at blue pens, casually chatting like they were on a smoke break or something.

What was the draw? Did I miss something amazing in my youth? :)

thatcomicsguy, dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

What is the real life battery like on the 10.6? Is there a case option that can add a kickstand?

Bronsky likes this.
  8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Any case will add to the weight, and the device at that size, is far from light. I set mine too stop charging at 85%, and it feels like it doesn't hold charge long enough. I feel like the most I've ever gotten from it 5hrs of light use.
    Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

9. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Pictures!

s plus full.jpg s plus pieces.jpg finished full.jpg

original closeup.jpg finished closeup.jpg

I made the bottom wider, modeled vaguely after the Dell Canvas pen. I also added a bump to the pen button because I like knowing where they are and making them easy to push. The way Wacom used to. Y'know?

The slight marble effect is because I did not apparently mix the green and black colors enough before I started laying it on the pen. Oh well, looks nice anyway.

And with this mod I reset my calibration and oh my, that is such an improvement. That pinpoint accuracy no matter the angle is definitely something I missed while using the Dell Canvas pen.

I should do something similar to the GB s pen too, but that one is light enough that the thickness may not totally save it. A project for another day.

The only downside is that the pen probably will not fit in the pen slots in my bags. Not a big deal. I have a pen that works! *insert celebratory dance*

AriWS and thatcomicsguy like this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh neat!

What is that stuff?? I find the nib quite acceptable, but I do like the idea of making the barrel button more prominent.

Also, you managed to unscrew it. I was hesitant to apply brute strength because I didn't know if it even opened and didn't want to break the thing.

I spent a few hours yesterday doing some work, and found the pen to be perfect. Really like it. The only funny observation, (not a complaint), is that it wobbles like a fidget toy when you put it down sans cap.