Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The repaired GB12 has been working flawlessly, except for occasional stutters, which I attribute to often changing desktop images (trying to fight AMOLED burn in - maybe need to dial that back a bit). I flirted some with the new SGo this morning in the fog of tech lust, but I am really wondering if Surface Airness is worth the switch, especially with the far more powerful i5 in the GB12? If the Surface Dock works well with the SGo (two WQHD monitors, printer, ethernet, etc.), and teh beloved kickstand, will make it an attractive device.

BUT, then there is the Wacom goodness whipping the origami crappiness.

thierryb and nnthemperor like this.
  2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I guess the itch is starting again
    Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

3. dstrauss

Not really an itch yet; interesting though...

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Just got my s pen plus...

Well, it's definitely a Note 7/8 pen in there. Thankfully, it uses the same nibs as the GB s-pen. I hate the black nib, it's way too soft. But now I'm all out of spare grey nibs.

Unfortunately, down near the bottom of the pen is still too thin for my taste. The middle of the pen is a wonderful thickness, but I'm not holding the pen up there, am I?

I can alllllmost jam the Note 7/8 s-pen down the original s-pen holder. The width of the Note 7/8 spen is just a tad wider than the Note 1 s-pen. Though even if I did manage to fit it in the holder, the button on the newer s-pen is way higher than the original s-pen.

The Dell Canvas pen was the only one to do this thickness right. A small bulge outwards at the bottom right where you hold it. If only the tilt offset weren't so awful.

The s pen plus is a bit top heavy, but with the weight of the cap is better for me than without.

Sorry for spamming you guys on my nitpickiness for pen. I'm sick of this too, enough that I'm pulling out the instamorph.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Damn! Lots of people ordered this S Pen Plus, didn't they?

Anyway, mine just arrived yesterday, and I finally got a chance to sit down with it for a few minutes.

The nib is one of those black rubber ones, and like Selofain, I'm not a fan. I swapped it out with the grey hard one from my old dead large S Pen. That worked fine. (Though in using some pliers to do the swapping, I managed to squish the black rubber one into mush. Oh well. It was useless to me anyway.)

Anyway.., this new pen works! Perfect everything on the digital front. What a relief!

The pen design is going to take some getting used to, however. It's a bit hard to find the button and the plastic body is super slick. I removed the ink nib because.., why? And I won't be needing the fancy cap as it creates an odd weighting and takes up space. In any case, this is going to be fine, I'm sure. Just another lesson in muscle memory. The important thing is that I now have a working digitizer pen again which is designed correctly for the N9P's screen, so there's no off-set and other nonsense, and the pressure curve is precisely where it should be. Thank goodness!

The little DIY pen holder I'd made for the toothpick was actually not terrible, (not great, but at least I could draw), but mostly I missed not having the toothpick in its little garage. That's a handy feature, a pen always immediately there when you need one! (I keep the larger pens in a pencil case, which is fine for when you're sitting down, but when you just pull out the computer for a quick something or other, it's totally inconvenient to have your pen in another case.)

I'll be doing some work today with the S Pen Plus, so I'll be able to report back about it more then, but (knock on wood), I expect it will be all fine and dandy.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Selofain and WillAdams like this.
  6. dstrauss

All this talk about pens revives another ancient brain cell remembering my junior high days when the rage was to use refillable ink cartridge fountain pens instead of those "commoner" ballpoints...

[​IMG]

My recollection was my penmanship was no good with either - but look at that cool price (when Bics were $0.19) for feeling like a calligrapher...

Bishop, thatcomicsguy and dellaster like this.
  7. dstrauss

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

I am really enjoying the GB12 again, but keep having this nagging complaint that it would be near perfect if only it had a kickstand - origami keyboard covers suck, whether Samsung or Apple. Why can't Samsung and Microsoft mate the GB12 and Surface Go (with a no bezel screen design). The Surface Go could easily fit an 11" screen in that form factor, just as the GB 12 could easily be a GB 13. Both could use smart frame technology from Intel to give those of you wanting bezels the option when in tablet mode, but when using it in productivity mode you'd get eh max screen possible.

Maybe Surface Pro 2019 will go 13.5"?

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Fountain pens were mandatory in my grammar school. All of us had that telltale blue stain in our shirt pockets from a leaking shaffer or waterman pen.

It was only in high school that we were permitted to join the rabble and get a ballpoint. BTW Bics made perfect spit-ballers.

9. dstrauss

We were just the opposite - ballpoints were "mandatory" but the cool kids used the Sheaffer pens - and we had ink stains in our shirt pockets, pants pockets, and of course all over our fingers when you replaced empty cartridges - but we WERE the cool kids...until mom got a hold of us on laundry day...

Bronsky, thatcomicsguy and dellaster like this.
  10. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Still have the Sheaffer No Nonsense cartridge pen I used in high school (really wish I'd had an italic nib for it), and all the fountain pens I've used since:

- Platignum italic calligraphy pen --- that one lasted almost two full decades
    - Sheaffer Agio w/ nib custom ground to a crisp italic --- unfortunately the plastic section on that wore to the point I had to replace it after scarcely three years: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/17769-sheaffer-agio-08mm-italic-nib/
    - an assortment of Esterbrooks using a 9312 Medium Italic nib I was fortunate enough to get
    - Aurora Hastil w/ nib custom ground to a crisp italic --- this is currently my daily user, and I hope the last pen I'll need to purchase --- fallback for it is a Targa by Sheaffer --- I've got a couple of pen bodies and untipped steel nibs, but want to get a nicer body and a gold nib ground to italic.

If you wash out a pen each time you replace a cartridge it doesn't leak.

dstrauss likes this.