Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. SITHU LWIN

SITHU LWIN Pen Pal - Newbie

It just randomly decided to not function at all... I was hoping it was because of some updates and would eventually start working again. Will not affect me too much as I don't use it much, but would like to use it occasionally, like sign documents digitally, or scribble notes etc..

2. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You can buy a spen for the galaxy note 4 (or above number). You will find a lot on Amazon at less that 10 €.
    https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00NFGKIE4

You could use this one as spare, and it will help you to determine if it is the digitizer (in the PC) or the original pen is broken. If this pen do not work it will mean that it is the digitizer (or that you are really unlucky to receive a broken new spen), if it works that will mean that it is your original spen is broken.
    You can buy a similar spen as the original on Amazon too :
    https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B06XC64CHY

3. SITHU LWIN

SITHU LWIN Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the links. I'll probably get one soon, but not immediately as I'm relocating to Singapore in a few weeks, so delivery might not be timely.

It was working fine when i got the book a few weeks ago.... wonder if there's a way to test digitizer? or the software fixes?... my touch screen is fine and i have the AIR COMMAND working fine and i access it through the task bar...

4. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

I am no expert on these things, but I can't help but think it must be the Spen since your touchscreen is functioning normally.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It could be the digitizer, not the pen. As those of us who owned Asus Note 8's discovered, the digitizer board and the touch sensor have different connectors, meaning that one can fail while the other works perfectly. The Galaxy could have a failure there or with the pen itself.

fishdavis and Telstar1948 like this.
  6. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine just arrived. The S-pen technology is included. I can't find a way to open that end of it anyway.

The nib is softer than the Surface Pen nib, but not as flexible as the GB 12 pen. I'd say it's comparable to the Galaxy Note 5 pen in that department.

Single button on the barrel. When pressed in OneNote (Store App) the nib becomes an eraser.

Good sensitivity. Works great for notes. I like. A keeper.

7. Telstar1948

Cool, thanks for the info, didn't know that!

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, GB12 is back up and running - was having USB hub problems but turned out the USB hub on one of my two Samsung SH850 monitors has gone bad, so I swapped them and now it's running correctly. Actually, there's a side benefit of the monitor resolutions - the GB12 and monitors are all 2560x1440 - I set scaling to 150% across the board and no more resizing issues when moving windows across devices! Have to admit - 150% on the 27" monitors is a bit large and 150% on the GB12 (which is what Samsung recommends) is a bit small.

The fan seems to blow pretty regular, but not annoying. In fact, my SB2 does the same thing when screen is folded over the keyboard. The test begins...

fishdavis and thatcomicsguy like this.
  9. Telstar1948

...may Wacom prove worth your efforts. I like Wacom too. Gotta say, though, for some reason I never really cottoned onto my GB12 very much. Now that I reflect on it, I believe my dissatisfaction came from the origami cover. It just wasn't as useful as the Surface kickstand, nor was it as stable - I had the GB12 try to pitch out of the cover a time or two when using it on my lap. The one thing I did like about the cover was when it was closed in the "book" position. That made carrying it nice as well as just laying it down somewhere because both sides of the device were protected while doing either. That's the one thing I didn't like about the Surface keyboard arrangement was when it was closed - the unprotected side always felt...well...unprotected when laying it down or carrying it short distances. Nevertheless, I would still take the kickstand over the GB12's cover, but that cover was neat when closed... :vbbiggrin:

dstrauss and thatcomicsguy like this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm not keen on the origami cover except for the same reason you liked the coverage. But I'll trade the inconvenience for the inking experience any day. Also, for me, the overall form factor is a winner. I guess Wacom is the siren song for me.

If Samsung were to add a bail style kickstand, S-Pen silo, and 512gb SSD option, they would kick the market's butt (not just Surface). Throw in a 13" screen in the GB12 body - perfection!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    Bronsky, Telstar1948 and WillAdams like this.