Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Let's just hope it is the latest revision eMMC 5.1 they are using and (my fear) they didn't try clearing any surplus stock they might have leftover of eMMC 4.51 used in their Atom tablets. That would be a terrible disservice to such a fast processor, the proverbial "thoroughbred race horse tied in front of a plow" scenario.

2. sonichedgehog360

Intel's Core M reference tablets for Skylake used eMMC 5.0. I haven't found published specs for a Kaby Lake reference design, which I may have missed and maybe someone else here has and can elaborate on. Given Skylake and Kaby Lake's similarities, though, Intel might not have bothered with an entourage of reference designs this generation:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source:
    https://liliputing.com/2016/04/this-is-intels-2-in-1-tablet-reference-design-for-china.html

That is liveable, I suppose, since the gap is nowhere near as wide between eMMC 5.0 and 5.1 as 4th and 5th generation eMMC. Yet if we are stuck with eMMC, version 5.1 would be the ideal here. It has faster random read access times and faster sequential write speeds:

[​IMG]

Source:
    https://news.samsung.com/global/emmc-to-ufs-how-nand-memory-for-mobile-products-is-evolving

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    artistebot, WillAdams and bloodycape like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

In all the "hands on" and rumors floating, anyone heard of an even higher spec GB12 - like say 16gb ram/512gb ssd?

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

5. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A single pocket-able SPen to carry sounds great - because IT IS.

I have a feeling the next S8 will be the next Note8 itself. And it may not have a pen in the Silo. it can be argued if there was not a Silo in Note8, Samsung would not have had to cram big batteries in a tight place.

Call me old-school or regressive, but this well-off consumer class, especially in high energy consumption per capita nation states, and also in select boroughs of otherwise not so rich nations, this global citizenry of a certain type of overpaid people who literally drive to a gym to lose weight, a mindless swarm of Human tissue, which just swallows resources and provides too little in return, tends to believe it deserves way more than what they are actually worth of.

it's not used to accepting compromises. They want a longer battery life but also do not want to give up on Four surround speakers in their tablets. They want Four surround speakers but also do not want to compromise on a headphone jack. And they want all this unprecedented cutting edge technology, that most of them have never helped create, at prices that are lower than the price of 5 pairs of boutique jeans, without any concerns for the Human and environmental cost of their hungry consumerism. They do not want Samsung to get rid of the space occupying pen Silo, but then criticize the speakers in Note7.

it saddens me to say but lately I too have become part of that giant mindless all consuming swarm of human bodies. It's the interconnected interwoven consciousness in the movie Avatar gone wrong and ugly.

Apple knows how to deal with this lot. Head phone Jack removal by Apple was a big brave step, it gave them exactly the message they needed to hear for their own Good, that their feelings and Emotions about a smartphone feature, are not important enough, certainly not the most important issue in the world.

I am just saying If you want to get it all, headphone Jack, Best Camera, 3 day battery life and 4k screen, a pen silo and an IR blaster, 4 front facing speakers - be ready to be disappointed.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  6. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

it's the Magic of New Wacom EMR. GalaxyBook culmination of the best of the advances in modern computing. It's not an incremental upgrade, IT'S MORE THAN THAT, IT'S the BEGINING OF AN ERA.

FINALLY A TABLET NOT JUST GOOD ENOUGH TO REPLACE MY LAPTOP BUT ACTUALLY GOOD ENOUGH TO REPLACE MY PAPER NOTEBOOK.

It's
    official we are living in the future. it's the biggest thing Since arrival of Digital storage.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    sonichedgehog360 and dstrauss like this.
  7. dstrauss

The Galaxy Book has to be coming soon - BB just lowered price of Gold TabPro S (8gb/256gb) by $300 to $699. I've got to assume that Creator Edition has to be a hang up - come in MS release the upgrade already!

sonichedgehog360 and siddhartth like this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

April, more specifically the first half of April, is the expected release date window for Creators Update.

Sources:
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/when-will-windows-10-creators-update-be-released
    https://mspoweruser.com/exclusive-windows-10-creators-update-set-released-april-2017/

9. dstrauss

Hmmmmmm...Samsung and Microsoft to "co-market" the Galaxy Book:

MS PowerUser

And more music to my ears from the same folks:

"Eric McCarty, vice president of mobile product marketing for Samsung Electronics America, says we can expect this ratio to continue going forward.

According to McCarthy Samsung assumes that 60 percent of the detachable 2-in-1 market will run Windows, and that there is an opportunity for 140 percent year-over-year growth.

The growth is driven by a bigger need for productivity on the go, a need Samsung intended to serve with their Galaxy Book devices which are targeted at office workers." MSPowerUser

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Bronsky and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  10. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member