Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Samsung Galaxy Book 12 Update - just got message from Samsung that it has been repaired and shipped back to me today (6/22) - no tracking number but keeping fingers crossed!

Just got repair detail - claim they replaced PBA-Main and LCD Assembly; wow...also got a tracking number (not active yet) - really surprised at the quick turnaround!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    WillAdams and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

While I think @thatcomicsguy is right in his assessment, the sad truth is that not all of us have time to go through all that material and tinker with Registry settings and what not. We just need it to work and not be too worried about Trojan Horses, Middle of the Man attacks and whatever else is out there. I'm reasonably knowledgeable and use common sense approach to first visits. But there might be some clever new attack out there I've never heard about.

dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  3. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks! I turned off a bunch of services like the samsung services, windows update (set it to metered mode too). I'm curious about the clock freq thing (also which option exactly do you change?). Is that not what the best performance vs battery saver performance thing in the battery popup menu affects then?

I noticed that sometimes Photoshop gets laggier over time, and then I restart (which thankfully is ultra fast, like a matter of seconds) and it's back to normal. Will check the full batt life next time I charge it to 100% (I mostly have it on 85% too).
    I do like the portable batt pack I've been carrying around though as it seems better to let the external pack take the brunt of the charge cycle than the expensive internal GB battery. 10000 mah is light enough not to be a pain to lug around.

4. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

Try LazyNezumi's pressure curve tweaker, I use that to get a pressure setting I like in Photoshop. Plus it's pretty useful regardless.

Also Radial Menu can assign right button and a bunch of other stuff to your pen buttons too.

Only thing I can't figure out is how to make it [Hold Alt] + click (ie, photoshop eyedropper) but there are workarounds I guess. I do find that annoying but I've started to mainly use the Noris anyway.
    I really like the HP Zbook stylus too although the side button is a little bit hard to press compared to the normal wacom pens.

I can select text with the Noris and other styluses in Firefox btw.

5. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

I never tried Radial Menu. I installed Tablet Pro to have onscreen shortcuts. NIce software (but oesn't act on the stylus buttons from what I know). Thanks for the information.
    And I use LazyNezumi with Photoshop. Great tool !!

I may receive the Staedler Norris tomorrow. I'll compare it to the S-Pen.
    And for other styluses, I think I'll wait a bit before doing other purchases.

I tried to connect my Cintiq 21 to the Galaxy Book, and it was a real mess.
    Wacom drivers killed the Samsung Drivers !
    The 21UX didn't work well : bit offset between the pen and the cursor on Clip Studio and Lazy Nezumi didn't work on Photoshop.
    When I unplugged the CIntiq , I noticed that pressure wasn't working anymore on my S-Pen. Book Settings were uninstalled. So I figured thet the Samsung drivers were dead.
    I uninstalled the Wacom drivers, but still no pressure on my pen.
    After many tries I ended to do a factory reset on my Galaxy Book. And lost many hours to make the different Windows updates.

It's a pity. It would have be fun to have a kind of Nintendo Switch approach : want to travel, take the Galaxy Book, want to work on large display, plug it to the Cintiq.
    I can do that with my Companion.

So, nice device. Easy to travel with, but with some restrictions.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. dstrauss

Not Out of the Woods Yet: Samsung's notice that they "shipped" my repaired GB12 on 6/22/18 was only the "creation" of a shipment label according to UPS, and they have not yet received the box for shipping...hey @Bronsky - the device is rumored to be in a repair facility in Riverdale NJ - may need some muscle....

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

No problem. Just say the word.:vbcool:

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh, you're good to go.

In the world of bureaucratic systems, the second a paper trail is inked and begun, the great machine must complete its cycles. The train has left the station, and even if it travels some ridiculous length of tracks, to stop it would take more work and money (and paperwork) than just letting it continue to its natural conclusion.

Just ask Mr. H. Tuttle.

Luckily, shipping is a fairly straight forward process and its natural conclusion is... Your Mailbox!

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Stupid Pen Update...

So, after a few days of working with a Toshiba Penabled stylus on my Samsung Notebook 9 Pro, I can report the following:

It works for navigation and general tasks, and even for penciling it's quite rewarding to use, but for inking...

It becomes an exercising in annoyance.

Why?

Well.., with penciling, you generally keep your hand and stylus oriented in the same direction. -This allows the calibrated pen nib to always stay right over the cursor dot, (or close enough to it for happy work).

But for inking...

To achieve a good line, it often becomes necessary to rotate one's hand around to an optimum angle for the drawing of certain curves or straight lines. That optimum angle changes according to the task, and results in a whole secondary vector being included in whatever math the calibration software needs to work with. And that's a problem.

The relevant antenna circuitry in an old Penabled stylus is set a few millimeters back from where it would be found in a Samsung S Pen, -which is what creates the offset problem in the first place. This can be adjusted for with Window's native calibration tool, however, when you also change the angle of attack between nib and canvas.., well, the Microsoft tool isn't sophisticated enough to account for that extra information, and you get unexpected offset effects which make inking a pain in the arse.

Penciling, lettering (and presumably, note-taking), doesn't create an issue. But when it comes time to ink my work, I have to do that at home on my desktop machine.

Thankfully, the Samsung pen holder I ordered last week to replace my broken S Pen, has crossed the border and should be in my mailbox fairly soon.

(Though, that's also a half measure. What I'm really waiting for is the Wacom Bamboo stylus which is shipping on a slow boat from Japan and may arrive any time between early July and mid August.)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  10. dstrauss

Unless it's on the train to Willoughby...

WillAdams likes this.