Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

By the way, the pressure and opacity curves tools in Clip Studio are very powerful. And by playing with them, I can get way better response to very light strokes.
    I can't get a screen capture of the pressure curve but what I did is I increased the minimum value when pressure is at 0%.
    For example, with a 7 pt pen, I put the min around 20%. And I get a more Cintiq like feeling.

Strange thing the button "Upload File" doesn't work... I took a screen shot of my test drawing, but no way to post it through my Galaxy Book.

The only problem of this method is that I have to set the minimum value on each tool depending on its size. Because 20% will give me a nice result with a 7 pt pen, but not great with a 20 pt pen.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Posted from my Companion (with a "Upload File" doing his job :) ).
    I barely touched the screen with my pencil to get the light strokes.

light-strokes-01-Light.jpg

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

You have the holder for the original S-pen, a slim circular stick, those stick styli were available in ten packs, at least in Taiwan. You might be able to find a pack like that on eBay. I bought a pack and they are still working on my early Galaxy Notes.

4. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

A first generation s-pen! My gosh.

My Galaxy Note 2 s-pen is bigger and roughly the same size as my Note 4 s-pen, so I didn't consider it. Hm, now how to search ebay for it...

It's a little better after I messed with its potentiometer, but I am seriously considering taking apart some other s-pen to shove into that pen body. The nib is quite terrible and I only get any decent pressure if I press it head on, vertically, to the screen.

Buuuut it sounds like an issue with my s-pen and not with first gen s-pens in general, so maybe I'll take the plunge once I find them.

Excellent tip, @Kumabjorn!

5. gobmonster

gobmonster Pen Pal - Newbie

I really don't feel like its an exaggeration, but here's a few tips on how I got this much longevity (stream of thoughts sorry)

1. I set a lot of services running on windows to manual so they won't start automatically and just run in the background. I do consider myself a windows expert in some ways :vbsmile:, but still it took me a bit to figure out what services weren't required. For example, I disabled the whole windows anti virus auto scanning service, the windows store, the windows update, some of the Samsung services that seemed to do nothing. I have the black version of the GB12, it comes with only 4 gigs of ram! I noticed after buying it that only about 1 gb was available for actual use with no apps running. After turning off those background services I normally see 2.3gb available. Just shows how much junk process comes running out the box.

2. There really isn't an official under clock available, but I did come across some windows options to reduce the max clock frequency. I set it to around ~60 percent max. This is just fine for me when drawing. Clip studio is not the smoothest app, like Autodesk, I wish it ran at 60fps, but im okay with it. It only really gets smooth panning when I turn the clock rate back up to max.I also don't get much brush lag, when sketching but larger brushes when painting require me to go back to 100 percent CPU. An added bonus of reducing clock means the fan won't be running to dissipate that excess heat, thus, even more battery is saved

3. Did I mention, turn off battery saver to get 15% more juice! But be warned, this isn't something that is good long term. I only do this for flights. Pulling a cross Atlantic flight last month, I would have been bored out of my mind if this computer didn't save me from my self.

Hope this helps!

thatcomicsguy and thierryb like this.
  6. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It would be helping more us if you give us the exact list of services you turned it off.

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I only just figured out that:

A) There was an anti-malware paranoia service running in the background of my various computers, called, "MsMpEng.exe"

B) That it was responsible for randomly deciding that it was going to chow down on a major portion of the system resources causing the fan to spin up and run for hours at a time on my desktop machine.

After determining that it was indeed just another stupid piece of fearware, I decided to kill it with extreme prejudice.

I followed the instructions in this article:

https://windowsreport.com/kill-antimalware-service-executable-windows-10/

(I suspect I'm not the only one who holds the same views toward this kind of software if the title of the page is any indicator).

dellaster likes this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@thatcomicsguy and @gobmonster - I feel I'm fairly competent at Windows, but don't have the nerve to disable anti-malware altogether - how do you access the risk exposure to your system?

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I would think that you could disable it when you're not connected anywhere. I am quite often sans connections.

10. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Battery seems relatively good compared to the Companion. It took 5 hours of Clip Studio and some Google to go from 85% to 20%. Luminosity set at 50%.
    And I guess a power bank for this device is simple to find.

Stupid question, but did anybody tried to connect a Galaxy Book to a regular Cintiq ?