Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. amir167

amir167 Pen Pal - Newbie

Saotome79 and WillAdams like this.
  2. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

My spen holder came in!

Good: the width and heft of this holder is fantastic, yessss

Meh: ok, I was kind of hoping I'd be able to shove my full sized spen in there, but good god the holder is only meant to fit the spen that came with it.

The spen that came with the spen holder is TINY. It's smaller than my Galaxy Note spens. I don't think this is a duplicate of any other spen. Why???

Bad: non-replaceable nib. It's also kind of loose. Clearly Galaxy Note 2 era or so, ugh. And if that nib wears out, that's it. Where are you gonna find a replacement pen? It's not going to fit the phone spens and spen holder come in kits and are super rare besides.

Edit: Oh, bad news! It takes waaaaay too much pressure before marks will register on both my GB10 and my Note 4. I have the turn the brush size way up to see the marks and I don't get anywhere near close to the full size of the brush. Changing the pressure sensitivity in Book Settings does nothing. Now I'm really peeved that my other spens don't fit inside.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  3. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

Okay I really do want to know how you're getting 7h drawing out of it :)

4. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello to you all.
    After reading the whole thread, viewing the great youtube review of @Azzart and the very interesting review of @surfaceproartist , I decided to get the Galaxy Book.
    And I'm pleased.
    I'm a full time illustrator, and spend the most of my days (and nights :)) on my drawing devices.
    I mainly work on Clip Studio Paint with regular use of Photoshop for text editing and the final editing + a bit of Illustrator. So I don't need the most powerful device to get my job done.

I took the plunge on the portable experience with a Cintiq Companion a few years ago. And it's great. Really !!
    But I was a bit frustrated by it's form factor and its weight. It's really easy to bring it everywhere, but you really feel it in your back pack, especially with the power adaptator and a power bank.
    I only used wacom products up to now (Graphire, Intuos, Cintiq 21UX, Companion) and was a bit hesitant to buy someting else.

This Galaxy Book is great (once you've made all the Windows update -> to get the pressure settings available :)).
    I have the 12 / 256 Go model.

Yesterday, while I didn't have access to any pressure settings I found the stylus a bit hard. But this morning I could set it to a more sensitive approach, and I can get almost the same render as on my Companion. There's just something with very light pressure which I have to get more used to. It doesn't react exactly the same.

The drawing experience is great, very smooth.
    It would be better with a right click on the button and an eraser at the end of the pen but I can deal without it.

I was wondering how to handle the summer period when we will travel many times and couldn't imagine to have my 3 kg Cintiq whole package in my back all the day long.

So, thanks for all your informations :)
    I can really take my work everywhere now.

5. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Do you use a Staedtler Noris Digital Stylus?

Do you have a need to select text in Microsoft Edge and similar apps? If so, how are you doing that?

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Congrats on taking the plunge!

If you want to have something with a less feather-light touch, then I *just* began seriously exploring the use of old Penabled styli on my Samsung. For about $20, you can as well. They work surprisingly well after you calibrate, and have a higher IAF.

Good news! You CAN get right click to work with the button. (You can also get an eraser, come to think of it, if you pick up one of those Penabled pens.)

The first item on this pseudo list of best practices for new owners will help:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...windows-10-and-spen.72302/page-98#post-519885

7. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, I'll check this thread.
    Right now I'm working on comic book pages and even if I have to press a little bit harder than with my cintiq, I get similar results.
    It's fun to work on a screen with such a nice render.

I ordered one yesterday as I saw a lot of good comments about it. I may receive it tomorrow.
    I noticed the inhability to select text in web browsers.... why ??? Not a big big deal again as it is a "on the road" device, but strange !

8. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

By the way, the pressure and opacity curves tools in Clip Studio are very powerful. And by playing with them, I can get way better response to very light strokes.
    I can't get a screen capture of the pressure curve but what I did is I increased the minimum value when pressure is at 0%.
    For example, with a 7 pt pen, I put the min around 20%. And I get a more Cintiq like feeling.

Strange thing the button "Upload File" doesn't work... I took a screen shot of my test drawing, but no way to post it through my Galaxy Book.

The only problem of this method is that I have to set the minimum value on each tool depending on its size. Because 20% will give me a nice result with a 7 pt pen, but not great with a 20 pt pen.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Posted from my Companion (with a "Upload File" doing his job :) ).
    I barely touched the screen with my pencil to get the light strokes.

light-strokes-01-Light.jpg

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

You have the holder for the original S-pen, a slim circular stick, those stick styli were available in ten packs, at least in Taiwan. You might be able to find a pack like that on eBay. I bought a pack and they are still working on my early Galaxy Notes.