Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Confirmed: It's dead!

SamsungPen_dead.jpg

I thought it might be a result of a driver update, but when I got back home and tested it on a separate machine where it should have worked.., it didn't.

Interestingly, I know the exact moment when it failed. -I was setting up at the dining room table of my "Remote Studio" and I felt a sort of.., moment, a subtle twitch in the air which made me blink. And my pen stopped working.

What does an EMP feel like?

Whatever happened, I'm glad it only affected my pen!

HeavyHanded likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Did you drop it? thats odd....EMR pens.....from my experience....never die.....I have a large collection of EMR pens and not a single one ever died. Their corresponding tablets are a different story, but for the most part EMR pens are as immortal as Mcdonalds French Fries.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

I know, eh?

I figured my collection of Penabled styli would outlive me for sure, (as they did the TPCs they came with), and still be kicking around with the cockroaches long after the apocalypse.

But that Full Size "S Pen" always felt like like a cheap P.O.S. to me.

I guess it's like any pen. I've got regular pens which are robust and well-designed, and I have others which disintegrate through regular use.

My hope is that the Wacom-made Bamboo pen I ordered as a replacement (yeah, I spent the $100), will have been made to some kind of higher standard.

Failing that.., I figure the S Pen holder will be a reliable fallback. I think those standard Samsung toothpicks will probably also last forever.

But for the next couple of weeks, drawing away from home base now means crippling my hand with this:

spen-n9p.jpg
    sigh.

darkmagistric likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

I've had that Bamboo Feel Pen for over 2 years now....its still holding up well for me. Words of advice though.....the pen has a removeable cap with the pen clip....but don't remove it......For some reason the pen clip breaks if you remove the cap....and then it will become eternally loose no matter where you put the cap, and it gets really annoying when drawing. And if you keep the cap off....the pen technically becomes shorter and not as enjoyable for drawing. I did that with my first Bamboo Smart Pen.....and thankful it was early enough in its product life where I was able to easily buy a spare from Best Buy....I never removed that cap and its still good. Also if you get the spare nib pack with it....there should be Black Nibs, White Nibs, and Grey Nibs.....the Grey ones are the best.....it has the lowest IAF and replicates the roller ball feel of old EMR pens (if you like that).

5. thatcomicsguy

Hold on...

We're talking about this thing...

[​IMG]

You can't put the cap on the front of the pen, to cover the point?

That's... I don't know what to say.

Not that I see the point of the cap at all; it's not like you're going to get ink on your shirt pocket.

Since this is going to be traveling with me in a pencil case, we'll have to see if that cap gets in the way. I've hack-sawed off the obtrusive ends of too-long (analog) pens before to make them fit into my pencil case. Hm. Those too-long pens were also from Japan, now that I think of it.

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

[​IMG]

Well - joy turned to heartbreak in no time (24 hours to be exact). It just randomly shuts down; if you can get it to restart, it will run the Windows desktop for 2-3 minutes and then dead again. Support request is in - will have to see if they will repair.

7. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

8. darkmagistric

Yep, that be the one. Now you can put the cap on the front.....but removing from its default position on the back.....somehow weakens the pen clip making it eternally loose. At least with my first Smart Pen anyway. It could have just been a fluke with that specific pen....but given how difficult that pen is to find nowadays....I wouldn't risk it.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Yep - I’m h*** on hardware I guess.

Never give up - never surrender!

dellaster and thatcomicsguy like this.
  10. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

So true.

My Bamboo tablet pen hails from like... 2008? I dropped that thing so hard its innards came spilling out. But I put it back together and it continued to work just fine. (I dropped it several times too over the course of its lifetime.)

My EMR pens will all live forever.

No way! *immediately pulls the trigger*

Hot diggity! What a fantastic find, dude!