Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Galaxy Book 12 successor incoming (this fall)...with Windows 10 on ARM!

I've been wondering why there's been no announcement of a Galaxy Book II (as the GB was to the Tab S), but it looks like Samsung is going to be Qualcomm's first customer for the Snapdragon 850, a customized ARM processor for Windows tablets/notebooks. I've read some pros, and more than a few cons, about Windows on ARM, and it remains to be seen if Microsoft will stick with this any better than they did with Windows RT. Some think I'm being harsh with that comment, but it's telling that the rumored Surface 4 will be an Intel device. The real test will come when they announce the mythical Andromeda folding device - if it is ARM, then maybe this is a real development alternative.

For me, I am eyeing the 8gb Galaxy Book 12 again because I am getting hives from my lack of Wacom EMR, and doubt the "fall" Samsung WOA will be soon or even this year, given the dearth of WOA devices last fall. But if that Samsung WOA includes a siloed S-Pen...dream scenario!

gobmonster and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If it's a real device, it should come in the 10" size and, in the name of all that is holy, come with a kickstand and a siloed s-pen.
    Hear that Sammy? it's either all the way in or just stay out.
    Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Tams and JoeS like this.
  3. ilivehere

ilivehere Pen Pal - Newbie

I received my new GB 12 few days ago, but unfortunately I was not able to test it much as I have been very busy.
    One thing that I noticed is that the battery monitor does not seem to work at all. I have been keeping charging for one hour or more and the battery % is decreasing instead of increasing (but the overall time to charge is decreasing). Is there a way to calibrate it?

Thanks!

Never mind. I realised that if I use the adapter provided by Samsung then it will really charge it. I guess I shouldn't use any of the traditional adapter then!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  4. dstrauss

Well, sorry to be a downer, but a kickstand will never appear on a Samsung tablet...it will be a miracle if we can get them to use a silo - it seems like they are embarrassed by using a siloed S Pen on a professional tablet. Let us pay extra for the full size pen and make a little more money off us.

5. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

To be fair, they must be getting mixed signals. Even on this board there are those who do not want a "stick stylus" in a silo. Only a full-sized pen will do. Typically that's the "pro creatives" that are the presumed target audience for larger tablets/convertibles—note takers on the go should use their Galaxy Note, Samsung might be thinking.

6. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would accept to have both a siloed spen and an external spen.

WillAdams likes this.
  7. dstrauss

Seems to me, in light of Microsoft's and Apple's approach of charging you $100 for the privilege, they should put in the silo and S-Pen, then charge you $49.95 if you want the full size pen - same result, more happy customers - even the full size crowd will one day appreciate that "stick" when they forget, or lose, the full size version.

8. dstrauss

Having my doubts about WOA - even from Samsung -

Mary Jo Foley reports that browser performance on the 835 Envy 2 is poor, at best. Paul Thurrott really trashed the overall performance of the Envy 2 on Windows Weekly last week. The kicker is that the Snapdragon 850 is supposed to have whopping 35% performance increase - sounds to me like the bad old days of waiting on the Atom Cherry Trail to finally bring acceptable Windows performance - only it didn't.

Maybe this is why the rumored Surface 4 is an Intel rather than ARM chip. It also makes me wonder if MS's insistence on WOA is to bifurcate the platform the same way Apple has done theirs - ARM on tablets/phones and Intel in the big iron?

dellaster likes this.
  9. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

But, but... the folks at Windows Central say that it's the best thing since sliced bread and incredibly, stupendously fast (except emulated Win32 apps, but you should wait for those to be recompiled on ARM*). Anyone who doubts the divinity of WOA is a doo-doo-head. https://m.windowscentral.com/windows-10-arm-here-stay-whether-you-it-or-not

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I suspect that was a troll article to drum up forum discussion and page hits.

*As if things like Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri, arguably the best 4x game ever created, which runs fine on a Bay Trail Atom but probably poorly on WOA emulation, will get ported to a native ARM Windows Store App. :maximum eye roll: Progressive Microsofties say I should just trash those old, useless "legacy" apps, but I refuse!

thierryb likes this.
  10. dstrauss

The folks at Windows Central are nice people, but about as much in the tank for Microsoft as the folks at iMore and MacWorld for Apple...

DRTigerlilly likes this.