Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. gobmonster

gobmonster Pen Pal - Newbie

I really can't speak to battery life on the 10, but on the 12, im getting a solid 7 hours. Mind you I have optimized the hell out of this thing, disabled everything I don't need. That's 7 hours of drawing on clip studio.

I liked the 12 so much, I upgraded my parents to the book 10 from their last tiny tablets. They really like the devices. I think you're making a good move even if the battery isn't iPad like, its a familiar system and a lot more capable product. My dad even showed me the other day how he can screen share his android phone to the tablet. I didn't even know about that (and it doesn't work on my 12 for some reason lol)

fishdavis, batty, Tams and 3 others like this.
  2. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

It appears my assumption was wrong re. the 60 Hz, although USB-C incompatibilities continue to scupper what should be simple tasks.

3. BatFastard

BatFastard Pen Pal - Newbie

I also find it strange that the adapter you referenced doesn't work the way this Plugable adapter does. The Amazon text near the top even mentions "Galaxy Book" (3rd bullet) for the "uni" product you linked to. (go figure)

Here is the screenshot you requested:
    Intel Display Settings - LG 43UD79-B 4k60Hz.jpg

4. silverwolf0

silverwolf0 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you. I will try out the plugable then. I just don't want to end up with another anazon return. I just sent back a terrible usb-c hub that had bad interference when the device was charging and the usb ports became unusable. Beware of iHaper.

I'm concerned it's sporadic driver issue that sometimes happens and sometimes does not for different people, so the adapter might not be the problem. Some people on dell and hp forums have the same usb device not recognized issue and none of them have solved it. The uni adapter I've been using worked with zero issues on my previous lenovo ideapad 720s. In fact it was the best implementation. You would get an instant video signal when you plugged it in and it remembered the display settings and scaling. I've had a couple other adapters including the anker one and the earlier usb-c capable laptops I've used were very finicky and required frequent unplugging of the cable or restarting the laptop and plugging in a specific order.

BatFastard likes this.
  5. Morning Song

Morning Song Pen Pal - Newbie

So, building off of fotd's work, as well as some futzing around I've been doing in linux, I have figured out a way to make this autohotkey script work for just the side button, but not the eraser (of a stylus which has an eraser).

This should behave identically to the original script for eraserless pens like the Book's included stylus, but for ones like the ZBook stylus, it seems to be working so far.

Code:
    SendMode Input
    SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%

global PEN_NOT_HOVERING := 0x0 ; Pen is moved away from screen.

#include AHKHID.ahk

WM_INPUT := 0xFF
    USAGE_PAGE := 13
    USAGE := 2

AHKHID_UseConstants()

AHKHID_AddRegister(1)
    AHKHID_AddRegister(USAGE_PAGE, USAGE, A_ScriptHwnd, RIDEV_INPUTSINK)
    AHKHID_Register()

OnMessage(WM_INPUT, "Work")

Work(wParam, lParam) {

Local type, inputInfo, inputData, raw, proc
        static lastInput := PEN_NOT_HOVERING
        static penIn := 0

Critical

type := AHKHID_GetInputInfo(lParam, II_DEVTYPE)

if (type = RIM_TYPEHID) {
            inputData := AHKHID_GetInputData(lParam, uData)

raw := NumGet(uData, 0, "UInt")
            proc := (raw >> 0) & 0xFFFF

if (proc <> lastInput) {

if (proc == 10242)
            {
            if (lastInput = 8194) {
                        Click right
            }
            }
            lastInput := proc
        }
        }
    }
    This does hoverclick, but i think it is theoretically possible to do tap-to-click. I could explore that if it's of particular interest to anyone.

Art_N00b, Koriel, AriWS and 4 others like this.
  6. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks, that's just the feedback I wanted on it!

Yeah, Windows just seems the easiest. It's not that it's generally more capable (it is), but it's what my mother knows. Plus, if someone send her a Word or Excel file, then it's no hassle at all opening and editing it.

The 12 inch version is tempting, but a a bit too expensive, and while easier to see is also more likely to be left at home (or not even make it out of the home office).

7. silverwolf0

silverwolf0 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wanted to update that yes indeed the plugable branded usb-c to hdmi adapter works at 4k60hz with no issues or finagling. It actually looks sharper and the colors look more balanced. I don't know why the uni adapter doesn't work but whatever I don't care at this point.

BatFastard likes this.
  8. BatFastard

BatFastard Pen Pal - Newbie

I am glad to hear you had luck with the Plugable adapter as well! 60Hz vs 30Hz makes a big difference... Enjoy!

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Um.....Has the latest Windows Update messed up Clip Studio Paint for anyone else?

Just installed the.....I guess ...proper April 2018 update to my Galaxy Book 10.6........and.....CSP no longer works for me. every time I open the program....the main white box opens up....but it never goes past that or sets up the interface. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program....after it’s installed.....same problem.....can’t open it beyond the white box.

All other programs, Sketchbook, Medibang, Photoshop open up fine....this just seems to be an issue with CSP.

My Mobile Studio Pro also got the update.....after the update, CSP runs perfectly fine on it....so this problem seems exclusive to the 10.6 Galaxy Book.

10. harrodeleted

harrodeleted Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the galaxy book 10.6 and clip studio paint installed on it fine-

Have you tried the application quick switcher thing to try and see if there's a hidden dialogue somewhere that needs to be clicked? I find with clip studio paint that it likes to hide dialogue boxes behind other applications.

thatcomicsguy likes this.