Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

Charging rate is almost double with the PD charger I bought if anyone is curious.

Cable Matters 6.6ft PD 100w cable combined with Cable Matters 72W 4 PD charger: 22000-25000mW:

Samsung charger and cable: 10000-15000

The battery capacity is 40040 mWH so it doesn’t take long to charge with PD, esp if it is only charging to 85%.

Updated my prev post to reflect these details.

jvloyola likes this.
  2. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

I love mine and it works great with one major caveat- you will have to choose between using this pen and the spen/Staedtler due to calibration issues. If you absolutely need two buttons but not an eraser, this is definitely the pen to get. Currently I have the top button to right click (as it should- literally every pen I have is set this way, including a Bamboo and an Intuos) and the bottom button set to undo. Works a treat.

Personally, I think the best alternative to the included spen is the Zbook x2 pen. I'd own one, except I found and got the Dell Canvas pen last November and the Zbook pen only became available this month. It's worth noting that the Zbook pen is cheaper AND comes with extras. The Dell Canvas pen does not. It all comes down to what you want more- an eraser or two side buttons.
    By default the button brings up Samsung Air. You can set it to right click using Radial Menu. There's also an autohotkey script on these forums (this thread or the Samsung 9 Pro thread) that will do the same thing.

DaniJoy likes this.
  3. fishdavis

Shoot, I thought it didn't have the calibration offset. I do like using the Noris as well. I'm considering recalibrating one direction of screen rotation to work with the Noris stylus and one with the other calibration-required pens.

I really wonder at the x2 not coming with a 3 button pen when their price point for the machine is at Cintiq-level (or more!) prices tho.

4. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Is that possible? I would love to have different calibrations saved according to the screen rotation. I've never come across a way to do that though.

The Dell Canvas pen uses classic Wacom nibs. That's why it has an offset.

Isn't Wacom's three-button pen just the eraser moved down with the other side buttons? That's what I've heard, anyway. If they're all programmable, I can definitely see the use. Though I highly doubt Wacom would be that generous towards tablet pcs. They did systematically get rid of eraser+2 side button tablet pc pens.

5. fishdavis

RE: diff screen orientation calibrations: I used to have to do that on three previous tablets to fix pen offset and each orientation would have its own custom calibration saved. Maybe it's because of the Wacom Feel-It driver? I thought the Asus Note 8 would allow that even before the Feel-It drivers were available though, but it has been years so my memory may be off.

However I just tested calibration on the SGB and there is a really weird issue: when I rotate the screen and calibrate in portrait, the calibration panel is half obscured (ie it is in landscape mode instead of portrait and hanging off the screen edge). I'm new to Win10 so I don't know if this is some weird quirk with some setting I have to enable/disable. Does this happen for everyone else too? I have to say setting up everything in PS/Win10 was a realllll pain.

I found this about the LinearityData /multiple orientation calibration (in one of the comments) but will have to dig deeper another time.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/co..._and_screen_rotation/?st=jgkkb51g&sh=7d85dd80

At least I solved my brushstroke lag (freezing randomly after some brushstrokes with small simple brushes), by turning off GPU in photoshop.

Re pens
    One interesting thing about the pen I'm using is that my felt nib is really worn down so it's much shorter than the default. Might be why I haven't really noticed too bad an offset. Another thought I had was that I could take one of my spare Penabled pens and file down the tip a bit (and shorten the nib to match) to see if it will fix the offset issue on them, hmmm. :)

Sorry, by 3 button pen I meant eraser + 2 side buttons. You're right, it does seem like they're trying to force everyone into buying a Cintiq-type tablet, but I'm curious that HP and Dell want to compete with premium-priced tablets if they only get limited tech from Wacom.

PS what are the extras the HP pen comes with?

Cheers!

bierot likes this.
  6. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

HP Zbook X2 Pen Bundle, $57 using "REDEEM86" w free shipping

It comes in plain manilla envelope and includes all accessories:
    • Pen
    • Tip tool
    • 10 extra tips
    • carry case
    • pen loop
    • manuals and warranty booklets.

The Zbook x2 pen has 4096 lvl pressure, the Dell is 2048, not that most people may notice...

fishdavis likes this.
  7. fishdavis

Ah thanks for the info and code (seems to still be working)! Doesn't seem to be available in the Canada store (of course) but might see if I can pick it up from the US. Also are those the same slim tips as the GB SPen?

8. bierot

bierot Pen Pal - Newbie

I found the Reddit post very interesting. So far I never understood why there were two types of calibration: the 16-point calibration and the 4-point one. That comment is very handy.

The default calibration on my GB12 is not too bad (with the pen in a upright position I'm getting around half a millimetre cursor offset in some areas of the screen), but I would like to improve it. For this reason I tried to calibrate the pen (I only own the original one from Samsung) using the Tabletpc Settings on the Control Panel. But after carefully doing the 16-point calibration with the stylus held exactly perpendicular to the screen, things become worse and I'm getting an offset of up to 2-3 mm in some parts of the display. I tried it several times but always got the same results. Is this a usual behaviour? I would be very grateful is someone could tell me if there is something I'm doing wrong or if there is another way of calibrating the pen.

Thanks again

fishdavis likes this.
  9. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone know where i can find a good matte screen protector to give drawing on it a little more resistance?

I don't know much about brands for these products and I imagine there are a lot of low quality ones that I should avoid.

10. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

the reason is because Samsung found a way to be perfect without calibration