Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. ButchPooch

ButchPooch Pen Pal - Newbie

EDIT: right after I wrote this post, the tablet started charging and it is solved. I will leave it in case it fails again to charge.

Another problem I have is that it will randomly stop charging and I need to shut it off, connect the charger while it is off and then turn the tablet on again. It may be because I am using a TabPro S charger (assuming that they are different, but they shouldn't). Then it will work as expected.

Anyway, anyone hee having the same problem?

ORIGINAL COMMENT:
    Hi everybody! New here, discovered the forum via Google and it really seems a useful discussion group for this PC, found a lot of useful info. Now I am here to ask for some help.

I just bought a Samsung Book 12 256GB. I have owned a TabPro S and I really like the Book overall. Sadly, I am having a hard time with the USB-C ports.

Long story short: with the TabPro S I had set up a hub connected to monitor and USB peripherals. This is the hub (https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B0728GKWPL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Then I got an Aukey USB-charger which supports Power Delivery (PD) like this: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01N6536VP/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And then a USB-C cable which connects the hub to the charger and a USB-C gen. 2 to connect the Hub to the tablet.

This way I could leave everything connected so that when I got home I just need to connect a single cable (the USB-C gen.2) to the tablet and everything is working, CHARGNIG too.

Now the same setup won't work on the Galaxy Book. Charger is PD and so is the Hub, but still it won't work. It shows the charging icon but won't charge. Everything is the same.

Now I am asking you if you know better than me about charging specifics of this tablet.

Also, could anyone please send me a photo of the charging profiles for the Galaxy Book 12? I bought one with no official charger and I am using the TabPro S one, but won't always work and I need to reboot the PC for it to work. I tought they were the same. TabProS charger is: (12V-2.1A | 9V-1.67A | 5V-2.0A).

Thank you everyone for your info!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I will occasionally have the machine turn off charging when plugged in --- I've always assumed it was caused by my enabling the 85% battery save mode. Trying to get in the habit of turning that off temporarily each time I use the battery significantly.

3. bierot

bierot Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been owning a SP17 for the last year but I eventually gave up struggling with its random lack of accuracy when tilting the pen. Following this thread I decided to give the GB12 a try and bought a second hand unit I will receive this Friday. The SP17 is a great device but its new N-Trig system does not work properly and I don't manage to enjoy its handwriting system. I don't consider myself an artist but I use art software (mainly CSP and Sketchable) to develop my designs. I own Alfa Polaris, a bridge engineering company in Spain (http://bierot.net), and use those apps at the first phases of our design processes.

I had the opportunity to try the GB12 original pen at some stores and found it flimsy and its nib too thin for my taste. For this reason I would like to buy an alternative pen for my new device. I read in this thread good reviews about HP ZBook x2 pen and for this reason I would be very grateful if you could give me your opinion about this choice. Is in your opinion, among the stylus with top and side buttons, the best alternative to the Samsung pen?

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I loved the Staedtler Noris Digital Stylus until Microsoft crippled it (and the electronics module came loose) --- I'm probably going to buy a spare _if_ Microsoft restores the pen functionality in an update and then modify a pen to put the stylus into.

Having grown up using fountain pens, I prefer lightweight pens, and prefer narrower ones (to give you an idea of my preferences I carry an Aurora Hastil in Ecosteel and haven't gotten a sterling silver version since they're heavier than the steel model).

The HP Zbook X2 pen is great though (albeit a bit rounder than I prefer) and is suitably lightweight and is cylindrical, rather than the odd flattish shape of the Samsung stylus which drives me to distraction.

bierot likes this.
  5. Morning Song

Morning Song Pen Pal - Newbie

Be warned, the button functionality on the GB12 is kind of weird. As far as I can tell, the hardware reports the button being pressed as "Eraser tool active", so side buttons are a bit redundant if you have an eraser.

That said, the ZBook stylus is still probably the best alternative pen just because it has an eraser and lacks the offset that plagues most other pens on the GB12.

bierot likes this.
  6. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Are all GB 12's the same? i was looking on samsungs website and it seems like there is only one spec for the 12,WIFI only, 8gb ram, i5, OLED screen etc? I'm thinking about picking one of these up to test if it can handle graphic design, webdev, illustration work. My MSP 16 is a bit bulky, im wanting a ultra portable wintab backup work machine.

Typical Battery life for creatives who work on these?

Any deal killers for pen performance? does keyboard work when tablet is removed or will i need a Bluetooth keyboard when using this as a drafting tablet?

Thank you kindly.

7. Morning Song

There are two wifi-only models, IIRC, a 4GB/128GB and an 8gb/256GB one, so be careful on that. All the 12" models have the OLED display though.

The keyboard cover is wired; it has a proprietary connection that magnet-snaps into place when you put the cover on, and automatically enables and disables itself when you fold it over the back. So if you want to keep it separate you will need a separate bluetooth keyboard.

Battery life isn't marvelous, but it survives my four-hour friday class doodle sessions .

The pen is a bit of a mixed bag honestly. Accuracy and parallax, and IAF are all fantastic, but it's not compatible with wacom's bamboo feel drivers--you have to use the surface pro 4 wintab drivers--and wintab-only paint programs can't use tilt. It has limited pressure curve tweaking and the pen button isn't rebindable.

WillAdams and DaniJoy like this.
  8. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry if this seems like a double post, but I was wondering on everyone's 2 cents.

What would be the reasons to go for the GB12 over the Notebook 9 Pro 13"/15"? I am still on board with the GB12, but was wondering why some people go with the GB12 in terms of overall usability over a more traditional 2-in-1 laptop size like the Notebook 9 Pro.

9. Morning Song

High-DPI OLED slightly-less-widescreen display (though I wish they'd just gone 4:3) and portability. Mine fits (albeit barely) in my purse. I can hold it comfortably in one hand while i work, which was a pipe dream on my previous Fujitsu T901.

My pithy summary would be if you want a machine for mostly drawing with some computery things on the side, the book's a pretty good option. If you want a computer, though, the flipper's a better choice. Also if you want to type with the thing on your lap.

10. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, my use will mostly be at the desk while typing. I've never found typing on my lap to be all that comfortable or stable for that matter. Maybe I am just a little weird. Primary use is computery stuff 40% of the time and drawing 60% of the time. This is meant to act as a device for school and primary drawing tablet I can hook up to a larger monitor when at home.