Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I loved the Staedtler Noris Digital Stylus until Microsoft crippled it (and the electronics module came loose) --- I'm probably going to buy a spare _if_ Microsoft restores the pen functionality in an update and then modify a pen to put the stylus into.

Having grown up using fountain pens, I prefer lightweight pens, and prefer narrower ones (to give you an idea of my preferences I carry an Aurora Hastil in Ecosteel and haven't gotten a sterling silver version since they're heavier than the steel model).

The HP Zbook X2 pen is great though (albeit a bit rounder than I prefer) and is suitably lightweight and is cylindrical, rather than the odd flattish shape of the Samsung stylus which drives me to distraction.

bierot likes this.
  2. Morning Song

Morning Song Pen Pal - Newbie

Be warned, the button functionality on the GB12 is kind of weird. As far as I can tell, the hardware reports the button being pressed as "Eraser tool active", so side buttons are a bit redundant if you have an eraser.

That said, the ZBook stylus is still probably the best alternative pen just because it has an eraser and lacks the offset that plagues most other pens on the GB12.

bierot likes this.
  3. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Are all GB 12's the same? i was looking on samsungs website and it seems like there is only one spec for the 12,WIFI only, 8gb ram, i5, OLED screen etc? I'm thinking about picking one of these up to test if it can handle graphic design, webdev, illustration work. My MSP 16 is a bit bulky, im wanting a ultra portable wintab backup work machine.

Typical Battery life for creatives who work on these?

Any deal killers for pen performance? does keyboard work when tablet is removed or will i need a Bluetooth keyboard when using this as a drafting tablet?

Thank you kindly.

4. Morning Song

There are two wifi-only models, IIRC, a 4GB/128GB and an 8gb/256GB one, so be careful on that. All the 12" models have the OLED display though.

The keyboard cover is wired; it has a proprietary connection that magnet-snaps into place when you put the cover on, and automatically enables and disables itself when you fold it over the back. So if you want to keep it separate you will need a separate bluetooth keyboard.

Battery life isn't marvelous, but it survives my four-hour friday class doodle sessions .

The pen is a bit of a mixed bag honestly. Accuracy and parallax, and IAF are all fantastic, but it's not compatible with wacom's bamboo feel drivers--you have to use the surface pro 4 wintab drivers--and wintab-only paint programs can't use tilt. It has limited pressure curve tweaking and the pen button isn't rebindable.

WillAdams and DaniJoy like this.
  5. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry if this seems like a double post, but I was wondering on everyone's 2 cents.

What would be the reasons to go for the GB12 over the Notebook 9 Pro 13"/15"? I am still on board with the GB12, but was wondering why some people go with the GB12 in terms of overall usability over a more traditional 2-in-1 laptop size like the Notebook 9 Pro.

6. Morning Song

High-DPI OLED slightly-less-widescreen display (though I wish they'd just gone 4:3) and portability. Mine fits (albeit barely) in my purse. I can hold it comfortably in one hand while i work, which was a pipe dream on my previous Fujitsu T901.

My pithy summary would be if you want a machine for mostly drawing with some computery things on the side, the book's a pretty good option. If you want a computer, though, the flipper's a better choice. Also if you want to type with the thing on your lap.

7. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, my use will mostly be at the desk while typing. I've never found typing on my lap to be all that comfortable or stable for that matter. Maybe I am just a little weird. Primary use is computery stuff 40% of the time and drawing 60% of the time. This is meant to act as a device for school and primary drawing tablet I can hook up to a larger monitor when at home.

8. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

You can use RadialMenu to assign side button functions as posters in this thread mentioned. I’m doing that, it works well aside from not being able to hold down a button (there is a hold toggle thought so you press the button to activate Alt say, then press it again to turn it off)
    Pressure curve can be tweaked with LazyNezumi (i’ve only used it with photoshop but it works perfectly to replace the lack of wacom feelit driver)
    Someone else mentioned the Dell Canvas two side button pen. It’s being shipped so I’ll report how it is when it arrives. I believe Selofain gave it a stellar review.
    I also like the Staedtler pencil a lot and it has an excellent default pressure curve if you don’t need buttons.

FWIW the SPen that came with the GB12 is one of my worst pens. Maybe I got a dud but the pressure is just really unresponsive compared to my other pens. Also very cheap-feeling.

bierot likes this.
  9. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

thank you thats a big help. i found a new one for under 700$ , thinking about giving it a go. To bad about the drivers, but i can live without tilt. even on my ipad pro its not very effective and is glitchy.

What function does the button do? hoping to have a right click button like my pro pen wacom pen. I use that allot in photoshop.

10. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

GB 12 only has 8gb ram max and lower wattage dual core processor. also its smaller. I have a notebook pro 9 here in the studio right now , im not to impressed with it. Its rather large and the form factor is weird. you need a bluetooth keyboard and it has no stand like the galaxy has when you use the keyboard. Im not a big fan of 2 in 1 form factor , but im coming from a content creators perspective. for others it might be ideal. Note book 9 does offer a big cheap cintiq like experience though. good choice for budget creator.

fishdavis likes this.