Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. silverwolf0

silverwolf0 Pen Pal - Newbie

Sigh have to wade through the usb-c clusterf@rk yet again for yet another new pc device. Except it's not new and there's over 300 pages of comments about who knows what. I'll report back if I do decide to get one and try it out.

2. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

The utter confusion over USB-C from a consumer perspective is crazy even when you have some idea about the issues involved. I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of everyday consumers have absolutely no idea, until they attempt to hook things up, and it all goes horribly wrong.

I'm sure there will be a few watching to see what you discover should you give it a go.

3. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Be careful, I did not find a mag usb c which support data transfer. If you find tell us.

4. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

I don’t mind if it doesn’t have data transfer as long as it’s not a potential fire hazard :)

5. silverwolf0

silverwolf0 Pen Pal - Newbie

I read a bunch more stuff from the wikis and mostly figured it out. I think this is my third attempt at trying to understand it. All the guides on youtube or general tech sites like tomshardware, digital trends, etc. seem clueless.

The usb 3.1 gen 1 and gen 2 have absolutely nothing to do with it. You can have 3.1gen2 and have no display out. You can even have only usb 2.0 over usb-c BUT be able to connect a monitor. The whole display out/monitor feature is a completely separate thing to whatever usb version is available.

It all comes down to whether the device maker implements a connection from the device's gpu to the usb-c port or not. Since the galaxy book can connect to displays and has display out over its usb-c ports, then it should be able to support at least displayport 1.2 which can handle 4k60hz.

I misunderstood the method it used to output a displayport signal. It does not use the usb 3.1 standard to send the signal, which would require conversion on both ends. It sends the full signal like it was an actual displayport connection over the physical copper wire. The 10gbps limit is irrelevant since it is now a displayport signal and not a usb 3.1 signal.

There are 4 lanes / physical copper connector pairs inside the usb-c port for transferring whatever the hell you want, be it usb 3.1, displayport, or thunderbolt. It just depends on what is physically connected and whether the device maker bothers to connect it. Each lane can also carry a different signal. There is a switch that flips between the different signals on demand. Usb 3.1 only utilizes two lanes leaving the other two free, so you can connect a 1080p60hz monitor with the other two lanes piping a displayport signal and have both a monitor and fast external ssd drive going at the same time, assuming you have a hub that supports both. If you want 4k60hz, which is around 13gbps, you will need to allocate all four lanes for a full displayport signal (17gbps assuming dp 1.2) which would leave zero lanes for usb 3.1 and shut the connection down. (There is actually another set of wires dedicated to usb 2.0 though so that external ssd won't stop working but will drop down to old usb 2.0 speeds.)

TLDR: probably works with 4k60hz hdmi adapter.

Shizaru and WillAdams like this.
  6. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Yep, that's the world of USB-C right there.

You're correct the Gen 1 and Gen 2 doesn't necessarily include DP 4K support because the Gen 2 aspect is related to the USB data specs. As you say it's all down to the manufacturers implementation of the standards which can be supported over USB-C. Having said that from what I have seen Gen 2 spec USB-C ports often support 4K @ 60Hz. I'm not sure if they are capable of supporting two 4k's @ 60Hz though? Unfortunately there is no guarantee though, unless the manufacture states the capabilities in their documentation or someone reports their hands on experience.

The bulk of the confusion seems to stem from a misconception of what USB-C means or doesn't mean, because all it is is the method of connection. The fact that there is no standard for describing the configuration of the hardware standards available on a given device creates a major issue from a consumer perspective. It also seems like some manufacturers are taking advantage of this confusion, and using the USB-C as a marketing point, and not a solution for providing consumers with feature enhancements.

Samsung is a prime example with the Notebook 9 Pro line, which has dumbed down USB-C functionality, not due to any real technical or cost factors imho, but to ensure sales of their next gen devices. Which will have Thunderbolt 3 as a carrot to entice people to upgrade when they already have an otherwise perfectly usable device already. They managed to equip the 2018 Notebook 9 15" with 1x TB 3/Gen 2 port though. I doubt their R&D team had any amazing revelations about ports between 2017 and Q1 2018.

I hope Lisa @MobileTechReview reviews a Notebook 9 2018 model so we can see the insides? If it looks doable I maybe tempted to see if that N9's daughter board can be hacked into an N9P.

Forget that silly idea the TB3 is on the main board.

I seem to remember @dstrauss posting in this thread about fun he was having with USB-C and monitor solutions.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  7. warz

warz Pen Pal - Newbie

The video delivery is a bit beyond me but your rant towards the end I enjoyed, usb c is it I think as far as the way things are moving (standard is not necessarily a bad thing), I don't think there is any changing the momentum. The new phrase will be "usb c with thunderbolt 3", which doesn't mean anything. But companies will use that to there advantage, with usb c standard. Or at least I hope? Not GB specific but I do enjoy learning more with this new machine.

8. ButchPooch

ButchPooch Pen Pal - Newbie

EDIT: right after I wrote this post, the tablet started charging and it is solved. I will leave it in case it fails again to charge.

Another problem I have is that it will randomly stop charging and I need to shut it off, connect the charger while it is off and then turn the tablet on again. It may be because I am using a TabPro S charger (assuming that they are different, but they shouldn't). Then it will work as expected.

Anyway, anyone hee having the same problem?

ORIGINAL COMMENT:
    Hi everybody! New here, discovered the forum via Google and it really seems a useful discussion group for this PC, found a lot of useful info. Now I am here to ask for some help.

I just bought a Samsung Book 12 256GB. I have owned a TabPro S and I really like the Book overall. Sadly, I am having a hard time with the USB-C ports.

Long story short: with the TabPro S I had set up a hub connected to monitor and USB peripherals. This is the hub (https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B0728GKWPL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Then I got an Aukey USB-charger which supports Power Delivery (PD) like this: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01N6536VP/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And then a USB-C cable which connects the hub to the charger and a USB-C gen. 2 to connect the Hub to the tablet.

This way I could leave everything connected so that when I got home I just need to connect a single cable (the USB-C gen.2) to the tablet and everything is working, CHARGNIG too.

Now the same setup won't work on the Galaxy Book. Charger is PD and so is the Hub, but still it won't work. It shows the charging icon but won't charge. Everything is the same.

Now I am asking you if you know better than me about charging specifics of this tablet.

Also, could anyone please send me a photo of the charging profiles for the Galaxy Book 12? I bought one with no official charger and I am using the TabPro S one, but won't always work and I need to reboot the PC for it to work. I tought they were the same. TabProS charger is: (12V-2.1A | 9V-1.67A | 5V-2.0A).

Thank you everyone for your info!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I will occasionally have the machine turn off charging when plugged in --- I've always assumed it was caused by my enabling the 85% battery save mode. Trying to get in the habit of turning that off temporarily each time I use the battery significantly.

10. bierot

bierot Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been owning a SP17 for the last year but I eventually gave up struggling with its random lack of accuracy when tilting the pen. Following this thread I decided to give the GB12 a try and bought a second hand unit I will receive this Friday. The SP17 is a great device but its new N-Trig system does not work properly and I don't manage to enjoy its handwriting system. I don't consider myself an artist but I use art software (mainly CSP and Sketchable) to develop my designs. I own Alfa Polaris, a bridge engineering company in Spain (http://bierot.net), and use those apps at the first phases of our design processes.

I had the opportunity to try the GB12 original pen at some stores and found it flimsy and its nib too thin for my taste. For this reason I would like to buy an alternative pen for my new device. I read in this thread good reviews about HP ZBook x2 pen and for this reason I would be very grateful if you could give me your opinion about this choice. Is in your opinion, among the stylus with top and side buttons, the best alternative to the Samsung pen?

thatcomicsguy likes this.