Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the into! That was good to know. Sounds like they've fixed this recent stupid messup too with the Win10 windowsink fiasco. I'll experiment with stuff once tablet arrives. I got a surprising amount of work done on the 2gb Note 8 so the SGB 12 should be mindblowing...

2. anergos13

anergos13 Pen Pal - Newbie

3. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How do you like your galaxy book 10.6 overall?

I imagine the big draw about it over other competing tablets like the surface pro is the weight.

Are their situations / uses that the weight allows that similar windows tablets can't do?

I sort of envision myself using
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071R5HMYP/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3A3E6QGUGPEMU

And being able to walk/pace around in circles studying, drawing small diagrams, with a device that feels light

4. wsun013

wsun013 Pen Pal - Newbie

After I forgot to bring my charger for my GB 12 from work more than 5 times, I have now decided to get a spare charger at home.

Any sugguestions? from this post, it seems that the charger for GB10 and GB12 are different, and here I am searching for the one for GB12 explicitly.

I also see some suggestion of buying the original samsung charger for GALAXY TAB PRO S as well, anyone has any experiences with that?

Chees.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  5. silverwolf0

silverwolf0 Pen Pal - Newbie

Still can't find the answer anywhere. Can you plug in a 4k60hz hdmi adapter and get full 4k60hz? I think you need thunderbolt to get 4k60hz but I could be wrong. The galaxy book doesn't have thunderbolt

6. warz

warz Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't bother with the samsung adaptive fast chargers (they are based qualcomm quick charge technology)
    Buy a usb c power delivery adapter (and usb c to c cord), see my previous post on this or Vordyn's post they posted after yours.
    Power delivery (PD charge) is compatible with samsung galaxy books but is not discussed by samsung, this technology will charge the book faster than than samsung adapters and also work with pass through charging if you are using an external dock or dongle to attach accessories.

AriWS, Vordyn and wsun013 like this.
  7. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

It depends on what version the USB-C port is.

First of all the term USB-C or USB Type C only refers to the physical plug shape nothing else. Then you get the data standards USB 3/3.1 Gen 1 and 3.1 Gen 2, Display port DP1 through to DP4 and then you have the power Gen 1, Gen 2 and PD.

Then you get the cable issues because you need cables that support the versions the devices you're connecting. To complicate things further USB-C is compatible with Thunderbolt to an extent but Thunderbolt hardware may not be USB-C compatible. Thunderbolt requires support chips so a machine that has USB-C can't interact with hardware that is Thunderbolt. USB-C hardware will work with either a USB-C or Thunderbolt equipped machine. Some Thunderbolt cables come in passive and active forms depending on length mostly afaik.

If it's a Gen 1 port it can manage 4K @ 30Hz Gen 1 tops out at 5Gbps USB 3/3.1 Gen 1 data and 65W PD 2 power
    if it's a Gen 2 port it can support 4K displays @60Hz and tops out at 10Gbps USB 3.1 Gen 2 data and 100W PD 3 power
    Thunderbolt 3.0 can support 4K/5K 60Hz displays afaik, 10Gbs USB 3.1 Gen 2 and 40Gbs Thunderbolt data 100W PD 3 power

What you actually need to know is the specifications of your USB-C port commonly this is distinguished by either being a Gen 1 or a Gen 2 port. I suspect that the USB-C port on the Galaxy Book is a Gen 1 so 4K @ 60Hz is not an option. The official Samsung Spec Sheet for the GB12 says the USB-C port is 3.1 without specifying whether or not it is 3.1 Gen 1 or Gen 2. My Notebook 9 Pro has a USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 port as an example.

If any of that makes sense to you well done it still confuses the hell out of me.

Here's a better explanation than my poor attempt above

fishdavis, thierryb and nnthemperor like this.
  8. silverwolf0

silverwolf0 Pen Pal - Newbie

Umm yeah that doesn't answer my question. I'm not looking for speculation. Full uncompressed 4k60hz is about 12.5gbps either via displayport or hdmi. Thunderbolt 3 2-lane seems a necessity. Yet there are press videos on youtube claiming samsung has the galaxy book connected to multiple 4k monitors at the press event, and we know it doesn't have thunderbolt. I would have thought someone would have tried it by now here. 4k monitors are not niche anymore, especially 4k tvs.

9. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

I thought I did answer your question and my speculation is based on the fact that I have never seen any review refer to the USB-C port on a Samsung Galaxy Book as a USB-C Gen 2. Furthermore I have a Notebook 9 Pro which doesn't have a USB-C Gen 2 port it is Gen 1 and doesn't support 4K @ 60Hz it only supports 4K @ 30Hz.

As I understand it USB-C Gen 2 supports DP output for up to two 4K 60Hz displays. As far as TB3 goes it's not as simple as it appears, there are a number of factors that effect performance and capabilities. To get the theoretical maximums you need ports and equipment that meets the standards, and cables of the correct length which may be passive or active.

Maybe Samsung had one monitor connected to the HDMI and the other to USB-C Gen 1 @30Hz? Obviously I don't know for sure because I wasn't there, so have to speculate based on what I think I know. I accept that I could be wrong and you are free to disregard my thoughts based on what you know.

It doesn't appear that anyone here has tried it or at least no one reading this thread. I'm sure people will be pleased to read the results of your findings, once you share your results here.

fishdavis likes this.
  10. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

I finally got my hands on the sgb12 8gb machine and I really like it.

WINDOWS/PERFORMANCE

This thing flies compared to the z20t I was using before. Photoshop is really snappy and responsive. ZBrush started to lag a bit at 13M polygons which is more than solid for an ultra portable machine this size. The whole general Windows / browsing experience feels smooth.

It is not a good gaming machine but I doubt anyone expects it to be.

Bit surprised I haven’t had issues with
    Photoshop CC 2015.5, CC 2018 aside from the UI scaling being bad (either too large or too small, tried changing windows scaling and a variety of the CC scaling settings)

I made a sys restore point before installing FCU and then another one before installing the latest updates. System now says up to date. I did notice the pen doing pan and scroll madness in CC but a quick addition of the registry key fix worked, to my absolute shock.

Everything seems to be working well so I set my wifi connection to metered to avoid any unpleasant surprises (hopefully that works).

ZBrush works fine, I have wintab installed from the surface pro package. Also sketchable works too. I think it doesn’t start the pen line from zero unlike PS.

Edge will scroll with pen. Firefox selects. I am used to horrible selection options from Win 8 so this is already a step up. (I tap on a word in Edge to bring up the touch selection handles)

Using RadialMenu is nice and makes pen side buttons work although it doesn’t seem to handle modifiers the way Wacom Feel-It drivers do — can’t hold side button for hold Alt, so eyedropping with side button +click won’t work in PS. Ah well. Any suggestions for something that will allow modifiers please let me know.

I have already added feedback on the hub to tell MS not to break the pen functionality again or add any ‘improvements’ without making them optional. Y’all should too if you haven’t already...

Also winupdates must have been murdering my tablet, batt life at 85% went from 2h to 10h when the updates were finally finished. I killed a lot of unnecessary crud on the tablet from startup etc. Tablet felt hot when updates were installing but I have been monitoring the CPU temp with throttle and it hasn’t gotten to danger levels. The fan spins most of the time but isn’t too loud.

PENS

I don’t like the provided S-Pen, it feels cheap somehow. Also of the three pens I’ve used with the tablet so far it has the worst pressure curve and the highest IAF. In fact it has such a bad pressure curve that it seems not to start from zero.

Wacom UP 818e works almost perfectly. There is a bit of an offset, but it’s actually minor enough that i haven’t bothered to recalibrate it. I hold my pens pretty perpendicular to the screen so the offset is quite minimal, unlike how it was with the Toshiba Portege z20 which was a full cm off. I still like the classic felt nibs. Probably shouldn’t have bothered ordering the Dell Canvas pen but oh wellllll another stylus for the museum Have a bunch of old styluses but I don’t like any of them as much as the 818e so didn’t bother testing.

Staedtler pencil stylus is really nice to hold, well balanced, awesome IAF/pressure. I think this has the best pressure of the three, though it is close with the 818e. It really does feel like a pencil which lends itself to being held like one, and the point on screen is dead on. Wish it had a side button is all.

KEYBOARD

I don’t like it much and the ‘lose 2nd-3rd keystrokes when waking up unless you turn off backlight’ thing is annoying. Using a BT keyboard anyway so I don’t really care about that.

How DO you rightclick on that trackpad?

ACCESSORIES

I picked up a Surface Dial and I like it a lot although it has some quirks (no Win or Esc key shortcuts for some reason? unless I’m missing some update I don’t see)

Photodon MXH protector has the same feel as the one pre installed on the ‘matte’ Portege screen. Nice and grippy esp with a felt nib or the white nibs included with the SPen(they fit the Noris pencil too). It is matte so if you’re primarily watching movies on this device I probably wouldn’t advise it as it looks more grainy

I got a Moko Surface Pro 2017 Slim Folding Cover Case and it fits surprisingly well. You would have to cut back the bottom corners maybe 1/2 a cm each to attach the keyboard cover. USB ports are accessible. Headphone jack would require a small hole. I added a velcro tab on the back of the tablet to make it grip the case more securely (the SP is i believe a bit wider and thicker so the SGB is a little loose in the case.
    However the standing ability is useful and the case also has an inbuilt handstrap, but at 1.6lb I wouldn’t freehand hold this. This case will also let you pop the tablet in a Roost laptop stand at a decent viewing angle -- probably you should raise the stand higher though) if you flip it upside down.

Other stuff: Nektek USB C to A OTG adapters, worked fine for transferring stuff from external HD. I wouldn’t call it blazing fast but it’s also an old HD.
    Cable Matters 6.6ft PD 100w cable combined with Cable Matters 72W 4 port (3 are USB A) PD charger —
    charges really fast, 22000-25000mW: original Samsung charger charges at 10000-15000 (lots of variance in battery bar). so almost twice the charging rate on av.
    The battery capacity is 40040 mWH.

I looked for properly rated and tested USB C gear cause melting the mobo or starting a house fire doesn’t sound good.

One of those universal stretchy four corner silicone cases for 12 inch tablets. One corner will push in the power button so needs to be trimmed. Not sure I like the tightness of the corners either as it does have to be stretched a bit far—straining the device? It does seem like it would break a fall really well though.

tl;dr

I bought a SGB12/8gbi5 7200u and it is my favourite tablet pc out of all I’ve owned so far. Form factor is really nice and feels like an iPad Pro in the hand cept you know. Real computer. Awesome pen tech and although I like the Apple Pencil I like the SPen Pencil better. Now gimme side SPencil buttons or even an eraser! Sheesh.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Selofain, neongolden, Shizaru and 4 others like this.