Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, it was messed up enough that I always had to look up how to enable hover right-click (and I'm still annoyed with Samsung for not allowing one to easily enable that).

Switching to Android or Linux or an iPad Pro/Apple Pencil paired with a Mac Mini is looking more and more likely.

fishdavis likes this.
  2. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

For the first time in my life I'm wishing Apple would make a tablet Mac (can't believe I'm saying this) so i can get far far away from the gong show that appears to be Win10. I don't understand why MS is touting their Surface Studio for artists and creatives and then pulling nonsense like this. Why would they not offer this as an option rather than just breaking basic functionality by default?

Thanks for the command prompt post DM. It's insane that they're literally breaking equipment that costs thousands of dollars.

Probably someone ran out of 'work' to do on the wink team and had to justify their pay grade...

3. wytn

wytn Pen Pal - Newbie

I didn't find the time and didn't think about it too much either lately, i only made that WinToGo flashdrive i mentioned and dowloaded the offlines updates (i hope i still have the updates somewhere cause i ended up downloading them two times... ) but that's all i did... No idea when i'll find/take the time / decide suddenly out of the blue to look into it.

At the same time, besides the whole Win 10 "rolling" update clusterf-mess that's awful in so many ways (the broken updates stuff - that i mainly hear about - i dodged most of it i think for now - the many newish/updated useless apps/change i don't want and so on), i end up liking Win 10 enough - As a tablet PC OS - at least.

Many little usability things i like better on a tablet/convertible type of device than on Win 8. On a desktop/normal PC i still go with Win 8 (when i need Win8). Although for now, i block updates and only manually trigger them (Disabled Cortana entirely also). I started looking into removing some of the default apps too, just in case that silly OS would end up filling up the SSD one year later by itself... -- And hm i need to remember into looking about cloning its system/install as soon as possible in case something goes very bad some day.

More or less related but i kept my GB SD card formatted as ExFat apparently, when i got the GB10 i read somewhere i "really" needed to do that for some reasons i forgot (perhaps related to SD/FS wear?).
    (I had my SD cards on other Win 8 tablets as NTFS for installing Windows software on them - And i saw recently there's a pinned topic here with a link saying they have to be formatted as NTFS to be able to install apps on them (But Windows Store apps? or just good old Windows ones? The good old ones i suppose?). Only thing i tried related to that recently was a setting to have Windows 10 install newer Store Apps to the SD directly and it seems to work so far...? (I'm on the latest major update currently). I may still have to format it again as NTFS of course. (UGHH)

But yeah my main concern was about the little 4gb RAM... So far it hasn't been a problem for me, but even if i've been used to laptops with 16gbs of RAM for years now, i haven't the same use for them, so... It's not indicative of anything :/

Anyway. Yeaaaah, long post again / and i repeated myself .
    If i do test it on Win8 tho, rest assured i will come back here at least reporting about the basic drivers stuff (BT/WIFI/sensors) and of course what i can test initially about touch and a few drawing softwares/apps...

Although i'm totally not up to date/aware enough how the different WinTab/Windows Ink/etc drivers-stuff is supposed to work generally on Win with different softwares, so i don't really know what i should expect.

i'd bet someone manage to test all that before i do tho...

(i'm tempted to look for my flashdrive/s and update files right now and steal a few hours from this night to finally be sure about it, buuuuut... I have a feeling all the drivers stuff would steal more than a few hours to sort out.)

fishdavis likes this.
  4. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the into! That was good to know. Sounds like they've fixed this recent stupid messup too with the Win10 windowsink fiasco. I'll experiment with stuff once tablet arrives. I got a surprising amount of work done on the 2gb Note 8 so the SGB 12 should be mindblowing...

5. anergos13

anergos13 Pen Pal - Newbie

6. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member

How do you like your galaxy book 10.6 overall?

I imagine the big draw about it over other competing tablets like the surface pro is the weight.

Are their situations / uses that the weight allows that similar windows tablets can't do?

I sort of envision myself using
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071R5HMYP/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3A3E6QGUGPEMU

And being able to walk/pace around in circles studying, drawing small diagrams, with a device that feels light