Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Unej

Unej Pen Pal - Newbie

on the desktop, create a txt file and put the bold commands that you use to create the hosted network. then you rename extension of the text file as ___.cmd and you can launch the AP with one click.

2. wytn

wytn Scribbler - Standard Member

That's incredibly helpful & useful info! Thanks a lot. (Especially as it's correcting one of my posts - botched test that wasn't conclusive at all based on something else i read here previously. Sorry!)

I recently was in a situation where i just plugged the Samsung Adapter into the Samsung hub and... i don't even think anything else was plugged in - maybe i tested the HDMI output again? During that little time it seemed the GB10 wasn't either really charging, or even didn't even think it was powered. (i could check that again/etc...)

i guess there's a few things i wonder / i have questions about.

I couldn't find that Anker charger on Amazon.fr but there is this Ugreen 30W one.
    https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01GL4MFVU

Do you think it will be work as advertised? I don't seem to have many other choices... (I already have a Ugreen usb3 to ethernet adapter that works quite well for instance...)

It's claimed as having PD 2.0 (only PD 3.0 compatible), being 30W, supporting 5V/ 3A, 9V/ 2A, 15V/ 2A, 20V/ 1,5A, supposedly "QC 3.0/ QC 2.0/ BC 1.2 compatible" — Reported by some user as working also in 12V / 2A

– I must say: i know nothing of these PD or QC charging stuff.

(Except what you mentioned as "Samsung Adaptive Fast Charging = Qualcomm Quick Charge")

// I thought if that charger is really capable to power (normally? or at least in an intended way) a Nintendo Switch or computer like the recents USB-C Macbook or Macbook Pro and Chromebook Pixel it should be OK? But..

2. Second related thing is i'll probably buy that hub you linked too if possible, except i'd rather wait some time as it's something i may can't spend more money on for now.

So i wonder... should the (Anker / or Ugreen...) 30W charger work with the official Samsung hub or is there no way at all?

--> My concern is not being able to actually/fully be able to test that charger if i buy it now... and not be able to send it back later if it's not doing the job when i get the other Hub.
    (Plus that Samsung Hub was already expensive if it's not capable of uhm, doing its job as intended...)

(In that case i might as well just wait for when i can buy everything at once.. It's just very annoying.)

3. A last question, the 4ft/90cm cable seems really short to me if i'm going to use the tablet on my desk with a hub etc.

Does the default Samsung USB-C cable should be good enough or not to carry the required amount of power?

Amazon also sells AmazonBasics USB-C/3.1 cables, one in 3ft/90cm too and another ~1.5m (a little less than ~6ft) one, but i really have no idea if that longer one which may be thinner would work too, or if a shorter cable is something that is a requirement for all that to work properly.

It's kinda hard to figure out generally even with previous USB cables the ones that are good enough to power stuff etc. I saw it with other devices and for instance with more recent devboards/SBC like the RPi3 and Asus Tinkerboard, it's only recently that i learned more about the limits of their micro usb ports for powering (regardless of the used power adapter)...

3. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes to all your questions

wytn likes this.
  4. wytn

Ok, thank you! Perfect.

(Sorry i just saw you guys went over some of that stuff again lately... but...)

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I've been waiting forever for somebody to make a viable replacement for my Surface 3. The GB10 is really the only option these days but it has too many shortcomings for me. The lack of a kickstand is one. The lack of backlighting on the keyboard is another. I also far prefer typing on the Surface 3 keyboard. Battery life is another consideration. All that being said, I have almost bought a Galaxy Book 10 a number of times in E Bay auctions, only to be outbid at the end. You can probably pick up a used one for around $350 USD these days. So, I can't say I haven't been tempted. But, my Surface 3 is still serviceable and I am looking for something like a decent WOA device to replace it.

6. wytn

I bought that UGreen 30w PD Power Adapter i linked and the AmazonBasics 1.8m (6feet) USB-C 3.1 (Gen1) cable, it was the only one that was longer than 90cm, like the Anker one, but there wasn't much choice on Amazon.fr...

(And in stores around here i didn't go to every single one but i didn't see any generic powerful PD charger - some 20w i think, but not 30w -, only perhaps some 80€ chargers could have worked.)
    (The S-Pen was only 38/40€, saw it in a store here at the official Samsung price of 80€ also... I wouldn't have bought a backup one at 80€ i suppose...)

I used both for a couple of hours or so this morning with the Samsung Hub i have for now, using the HDMI output (to a 1080p monitor - and only a bluetooth mouse with it) and it did charge. Hard to say how fast/etc in comparison to whatever else but at least it's not bad and was clearly charging. (Surely it was charging way slower than when the tablet and external monitor went to sleep. That, i could notice it clearly.)

WillAdams likes this.
  7. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Has the recent windows update messed up anyone else Galaxy Book?

My 10.6 has been fine untill today. First my Pin Access when I boot it up wouldn't take...my login got somehow changed back to password.

And now Clip Studio is a mess. On tablet PC mode I have no pen pressure.....switching it to wintab and back, and restarting both CSP and the Book deosn't work. Also trying to draw with no pressure....it will randomly switch from putting down ink, to panning around the canvas. And on Wintab....the Pen just pans around the screen, I can't even draw with it.

Photoshop is just as equally a mess.... I can get pen pressure on, but it bounces back and forth between Pressure, and paning around the canvas.

Is anyone else's Galaxy Book all messed up today?

9. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

I saw a tweet that said

"@LazyNezumiPro

Or yeah, you could disable Windows Ink (if it's an option in your driver), make sure you have a Wintab driver installed, and make sure that your app is using it. What. A. Mess."

Not sure if that might help or if you already have Windows Ink disabled?

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I had that problem, but in wintab on the Galaxy Book 12 the pen worked fine.
    Wintab should also work fine if you force Photoshop to use it.