Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Radialmenu works great if you need to have over right click with your pen button.

What doesn't work great on the Galaxy Book are buttons on the toolbar that allows simultaneous press with touch while using the pen. They have erratic behaviour or not working at all.

fishdavis likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm still using the Win10 build which came with my system back when I bought it last year. The store models on offer hadn't been outfitted with the Fall Creator's Update at that point.

After much digging and experimenting, I managed to lock down my copy so that it doesn't update or call home. I'm quite happy with it in its current incarnation as everything works as I like.

With regard to the spectre and meltdown vulnerabilities; the patches only offer protections which come into effect after a system has been compromised by a virus executible, and since I always perform a nuclear-option factory reset in that case regardless of what kind of exploit is being used, I decided to skip installing the patches. Having tried them, I learned they come with a bunch of extra crap which borked my system the Microsoft Way.

I keep a mirrored version of the OS on an M.2 SSD (in an external HD enclosure) which I can swap into my machine if I happen to screw up the one I've got in service.

fishdavis and WillAdams like this.
  3. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Yes, you can. The options are there, anyway, and when I tried them they appear to work. I'm not sure how well it's working, since I can't tell what ALT+click does in Clip Studio Paint.

fishdavis likes this.
  4. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

Ahh, I found your video where you were using radial menu to do stuff like right click! Wonder why it isn't working for Will.

Yeah I feel like I might be doomed to having FCU pre-installed, baaah :) Didn't know the spec/meltdown patches only kick in after a system gets compromised, good to know you can get away with not installing them if you're careful. I thought they were forced updates in Win10.
    I did hear they were screwing up a bunch of things for people and forcing restarts etc. The Microsoft Way indeed...

Phew, that is one thing I rely on the most. Thanks for checking that!

One last thing I noticed -- In the store with my Penabled pens (as they only had the S-Pen next to the TabS which was at the other end of the store wtf), I noticed with SNotes that although the pressure was overall working well, when starting a stroke the stroke would not start from 0 pressure. I didn't have to press hard to get the pens to write, so I'm guessing this isn't the 'super hard IAF' issue I saw mentioned?

I'm assuming this is something app specific although I thought it was odd SNotes had that issue. I didn't see this in your video of CSP Azzart (which was really helpful btw!) -- it looked like the drawing stroke starts smoothly from 0.

As a side note I see that the Noris pencil is selling for 90CAD in Canada and 36CAD in the US. Sheesh.

5. Mytabletacct

Mytabletacct Pen Pal - Newbie

6. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Yeah, Samsung apparently figured out a while back how to let older EMR pens work normally on their newer EMR. Galaxy Books, at some point, received that ability in some sneak update. I have no idea when, as I found out by accident when I grabbed the wrong pen and used it. Writing on my GB10 feels so much better with my Axiotron pen with felt nib.

Of course, those older pens don't have an IAF as low as the s-pen, so it won't "start from zero" the way an s-pen would. But it's no longer some artificially high IAF.

Great find! Perhaps this is the excuse I need to finally pick up a heat gun.

fishdavis likes this.
  7. wsun013

wsun013 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all,

I have just got my GB 12 LTE (in France). I would like ask if anyone tries to test the speed of 256 GB micro-sd cards, in particularly the write speed....

I have tested my Lexar 633x 128GB (U1), fat32, goes the sequential reads 44 MB/s, sequential writes 9 MB/s, random reads 4 MB/s, random writes 1.3 MB/s
    my older Sandisk Extreme PLUS 64 GB (U1), fat32, the sequential reads 68 MB/s, sequential writes 21MB/s, random reads 13 MB/s, random writes 3.3 MB/s.

I hope the bottleneck is not the built-in micro-sd card reader, hence the question.

Cheers

8. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

I saw a bunch of amazon reviews complaining about the slow speeds of the built in micro-SD card reader.

9. Unej

Unej Pen Pal - Newbie

how to enable the access point, or hosted network, over wifi in windows 10, without the need of an internet connection :
    this is derived from
    https://superuser.com/questions/1178550/how-to-force-enable-soft-ap-to-allow-hostednetwork/

So we need the driver as an *.inf file, of the wifi card ''Qualcomm QCA61x4A QCA9377 WiFi Bluetooth Driver'' which is here :
    -from DELL, 215MB of download since it is the whole GUI installer,
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=H9P39
    OR
    -from some website, 1,4 MB of download,
    http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NE...river-11-0-0-729-for-Windows-8-1-64-bit.shtml
    called ''Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Adapter Wireless Driver 11.0.0.729 for Windows 8.1 64-bit''
    OR
    -my own upload of the NAKED DELL driver, 5 MB
    drivers DELL Qualcomm-QCA61x4A-QCA9377-WiFi-Bluetooth-Driver_H9P39_WIN_11.0.0.746_A08.zip
    https://go4up.com/dl/92c64d041d4808...Bluetooth-Driver_H9P39_WIN_11.0.0.746_A08.zip
    https://mega.nz/#!eG5gTYpD!ifMKK6iD5rqRGV-97nPyn2e53IExd3WDMCTYDWq4zzw
    http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/ahqQQsUJ/file.html

then follow the instruction of the reply
    the bold lines are what defines and start and stop the hosted network.

Then you enable the usual internet connection over wifi with the card ''Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Adapter Wireless'' in the network properties of windows, you right clic on the icon, and you select the tab ''share'' and you share this usual internet connection. This way, when a device connects to the HOSTED NETWORK of the tablet, ''device-> tablet GB'', it can access the internet with the connection ''tablet GB->whatever router-modem gives the connection to the tablet galaxy book''.

This is how I get my wifi printer to connect to the GB, as soon as I enable the hosted network, with or without an internet connection on the GB [internet connection retrieved over wifi from some router, which is actually my LTE phone].

In windows 10, I can create the same situation when my tablet is connected over wifi to the internet via my phone, but as said, windows allow the creation of the hosted network only if windows 10 finds an active internet connection, here we no longer have this limitation, and we are like in windows 7

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    thierryb likes this.
  10. Unej

Unej Pen Pal - Newbie

I have tested my GB10 form amazon.fr and the samsung sd card of 256go, exFAT,

wsun013 likes this.