Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Witchcraft has happened, guys.

I accidentally picked up my Axiotron pen to make a note in Onenote and was writing before I realized I picked up the wrong pen. (I am constantly picking up the wrong pen. I have way too many pens sitting around my desk.)

My Axiotron pen wrote normally. Like, with the same IAF I would get on my T901.

It still feels like I need to press a bit to get a mark when drawing in CSP, but that's just me getting way too used to the new low IAF. Honestly, I like writing with a slightly higher IAF better as I find I get tails more often with the low IAF.

Can I just say how happy I am to put my Axiotron pen back into active use? I just have to figure out nibs and roles now...

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

I always knew I'd regret not getting an Axiotron Modbook.

3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Got one of those Axiotron pens too, but the calibration seems a bit off. Still it quite usable.

Sent from mTalk

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Is the Axiotron "better" than the Samsung pen, or is this just an alternate use for the Axiotron pen itself?

5. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have some. Using it is not as perfect as the gb pen.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

It's better for me since I don't get hand cramps using the Axiotron pen vs using the "full size" s-pen. I swear that s-pen is exactly the wrong shape for my hand to use. There is an offset issue that is mostly, but not completely, mitigated by calibrating to the Axiotron pen. The trade-off is worth it, for me.

Although it seems like the Zbook pen is a better candidate for a replacement, since it won't have an offset along with being a heftier pen with an eraser AND the new IAF. I'll probably pick up one once they're generally available.

7. hichaam

hichaam Pen Pal - Newbie

I was searching for a device which will be used as a second machine for note taking and light work, so I got myself a GB10, I got it used for 250$ without a charger and pen, but it's as new, and the battery report shows 3 cycles for battery only :D
    I'm now using a 15w microsoft charger, it can charge the tablet, but when under load, it doesn't, is this one compatible with it: https://www.anker.com/products/variant/PowerPort-Speed-1-USB-C-Port-/A2014112 ?
    I'm also looking for a pen, did anyone try the Fujitsu pen with it? is it good? (I'm talking about this model: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Ship-Fujitsu-Lifebook-Stylus-Digitizer-WACOM-Pen-T5000-T900-T901-T730-T734-/382360583329)

8. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

I tried a pen from my Fujitsu Stylistic ST4110/4121s and the initial activation force was too much for me to use it. The stylus from my Asus Vivotab Note 8 wouldn't work either.

I would _really_ like to find a cylindrical or hexagonal pen for the GB series which would allow right-hover-click-drag.

9. hichaam

hichaam Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you @WillAdams, I think that I will order the samsung s-pen, I'm not an artist, I will use it just for note taking.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

TL&DR

He's just on the warpath again with an insane rant..........

The GB12 8gb/256gb arrived a couple of days ago, and I didn't open it right away because I was waiting on the matching pair of Samsung SH850 USB-C monitors. I set those up, connected them to the old GB12 4gb/128gb and could only get one monitor to work. When I contacted Samsung support I confirmed I had USB C connected to M1, M1 DP out to M2 DP in, and that's when they told me the USB C cable to M1 supports data, display, and power, BUT NOT daisy chaining the two monitors together - to do that you have connect DP INTO M1 directly then bridge the two by DP. Of course, there is no DP out on the GB12, only two USB C ports.

Now all my friends here know I took that real well, ESPECIALLY after I referred him to his own website where it touts that USB C offers simple one cable connection the monitor, and that the monitor can then be daisy chained to a second monitor from DP Out to DP In on monitor 2...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: (where's the half-peace sign emoji when I need it). I also pointed out they still sell the GB12/SH850 as a bundle for business users for connectivity. Worst of all, he ADMITTED in my chat transcript that I was right and the advertising was deceptive. Class action anyone?

So, I pulled out the USB-C to DP cable that I have, and surprise surprise, it will daisy chain from GB12 to M1 then M1 to M2 by another DP cable, but when you connect the USB C to the second USB port to the first monitor you get no power and no hub action...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

So now I have the USB C to USB C cable connected into M1 and using the USB C to DP cable to connect into the DP In port on M2 so both monitors are working; power and hub seem to be working on M1, but I have to attach a powered hub to the monitor to handle the keyboard and HP printer, because the monitor has only three USB ports, and two are soaked by my backup HD (which won't run of the sub-hub) and the connection to the sub-hub. And did I mention the monitors are damn near perfect (2560x1440, just like the Acers but they have matte finish displays with NO GLARE - awesome) BUT

I'm feeling like this is beginning to be a Rube Goldberg project. Am I jumping through too many hoops when a more modern powerful laptop (HP or Dell) would give me TB3 goodness and connect everything through one sufficient fire hose. Am I letting my love for Wacom EMR (and frankly this beautiful GB12 AMOLED screen) cloud my judgment? Should I open the GB12 big brother and forget about all the rest? Or should I return GB12 Big Brother and keep muddling along with GB12 Jr. until the Acer Unicorn drops or I give up and jump ship for the last time (good bye Wacom EMR)?:confused:o_O:eek:

Suggestions are welcome, but everyone knows I don't follow good advice. Part of me even says go back to the two device days - pick up the HP x360 15 screamer with AMD and a built in keypad, and use the GB12 Jr for all note taking chores...:rolleyes::cool:

Time to go see a therapist...:(

Kumabjorn, Bishop and Bronsky like this.