Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

CHEAP

That's what it is all about - MS wanted to promote ink in Windows 8 and 10; N-Trig was cheap compared to Wacom, and now the whole OEM universe is tied to the N-Trig approach, so much so that even Wacom caters to the AES crowd now as well. These ARE all a joke compared to Wacom EMR. Every time I start writing on my GB12 I marvel at how effortless and near perfect it is compared to the Surface and HP devices I have tried to make due with.

If your needs involve a lot of note taking or art related work, I just can't see the usefulness of the N-Trig approach. If you are much more about computer firepower, and penmanship is a distant third for use cases, then HP gives you more bang for the buck than MS, Dell, or Apple.

Still dreaming of a Samsung GB12 successor with the same form factor and:
    • S Pen in a silo
    • Up to 16gb RAM and 512gb SSD
    • One Thunderbolt 3 port
    • 13" screen in same frame and dimensions

2. dstrauss

PS -

I am concerned about the total lack of rumors about a successor to the GB12 from Samsung. Makes me wonder if they aren't moving on to WOA with a more Tab 3 like device, given all their experience with ARM (possibly an 845 based tablet). That would also explain the emergence of the Notebook 9 Pen - if you want Intel, go laptop convertible, if you want tablet, wait for WOA on an 845.

thatcomicsguy, JoeS and nnthemperor like this.
  3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

PREACH!!!!

Bishop likes this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It's called the Acer Switch 7. Some dreams do come true.

[​IMG]

nnthemperor and Telstar1948 like this.
  5. Koriel

Koriel Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, loong time stalker here, now finally a proud owner of a 10.6!
    Coming from a Surface 3 with it's pen, there's just no point on even trying to compare them.

Now I'm wondering, since I'm using it a lot of hours per day, I'm already worrying about the longevity of the battery.
    And while I know that these convertibles suffer a lot when it comes to replace any part, I'm kinda concerned that I couldn't find any tear down of this or the bigger 12" model.

Anyone found some tear down online, even if it just showcases the internals in general?
    Thanks folks.

6. dstrauss

:p:p:p:p

Nice try Jersey, but not the same form factor - bigger and heavier by a factor of 160% (2.5lb vs 1.5lb).

Still, it checks all my other boxes except for one thing - ain't here and not now...

Remember it is ALL about MY needs and timeline - not the vendors who string out releases by 6 months with no information or explanation to the dwindling number of potential customers who haven't moved on to other choices...

7. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But allll that, is still not going to stop you from getting one, amirite? ;)

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  8. dstrauss

:eek::confused::rolleyes::cool:

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The book settings has an option to restrict the battery to only 85% full charge. It says that improves the longevity of the battery.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

WillAdams likes this.
  10. Koriel

Koriel Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I actually have that one checked, but it still worries he how aged will be the battery in a year or two, even just by natural degradation.

I think I'm just a bit too deep in love with this thing :vbbiggrin:

DRTigerlilly likes this.