Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

Got the GB 10.6 on Friday and am loving it so far. Haven’t noticed much difference in screen quality between it and the nSP, and am adjusting to the smaller screen. The pen accuracy is fantastic and feels really nice! Only thing is that the necessary IAF on the GB seems to be a lot higher than the new pen for the nSP. It feels like I need to push a little harder before it recognizes a stroke on the GB. Given the discussion on here, that seems counterintuitive. Can anyone confirm, or did I perhaps get a bad pen?

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

That is rather odd....

3. Jpwinks

Jpwinks Pen Pal - Newbie

Just an update. I have received my 10.6 GB and I am very impressed with the performance. I installed toon boom and sketchable and the responsiveness of the pen is exactly what I want. I am still getting used to the silence of the lack of fan. The system doesn't feel hot either unlike older tablets I've used. I hoping to do some cartoon animation projects on it to get back into what I loved doing. I am downgrading from a gaming desktop as I don't really like sitting at a desk anymore and just selling it all off. I have a PS4/PSVR for my gaming needs and wanted the computer for only my hobby/work.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    WillAdams and Telstar1948 like this.
  4. yodamiked

That's what I was worried about. It's possible I'm just being overly picky, but given all the comments about low IAF, I expected it to have similar IAF to the apple pencil or nSP pen.

When it comes to EMR, is the IAF determined by the pen or the digitizer? i.e., if the issue is with my particular s pen, would I find better IAF by picking up the Staedler or Bamboo Smart?

@Azzart With you having owned both the nSP and the GB, I'd be grateful for your thoughts on whether I should I be expecting similar IAF (right now the IAF of the GB feels a lot closer to the SP4's pen)?

5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

You should be getting an iaf that’s sensibly lower than the pen of the new Surface Pro.

WillAdams, DRTigerlilly and yodamiked like this.
  6. yodamiked

Hmm, thanks. Looks like I might have to get an exchange then, as it seems like it might be faulty. I have to turn the pen sensitivity up to 9 (or thereabouts) to make it 'feel' like it has a low IAF, which from a review, I think you posted, on youtube, seems to be the opposite of the norm.

7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

@yodamiked out of curiosity, what software are you using?

8. yodamiked

I've tried a number of different programs, including Sketchable, Sketchbook, Leonardo, and the Samsung notes taking app.

Went to the local shop today and tried the display Samsung Tab S3 (don't have any GB on display here, but figured it should be relatively the same experience), and wow! The pen started drawing the moment the stylus tip touched the glass. No pressure needed. Whereas I can run the tip of the pen across my GB without making a single mark. Going to try and exchange it for a new one tomorrow (fingers crossed, as even if you're in your return window, stores in the UK like to deny exchanges or returns once the box is opened).

9. testdrive7

testdrive7 Pen Pal - Newbie

After my GB12 has updated to Windows 10 FCU (1709), the Samsung Book Settings app will not launch - it says: "Samsung System Agent not found", the Samsung System Agent is installed according to Samsung Update app. I've tried to re-install Samsung System Agent and also the Samsung Book Settings app, and even the Samsung Update app - nothing has resolved this issue. Has anyone has a similar issue and any known solutions, workarounds? I've contacted Samsung - no real help, just a suggestion to restore the factory settings.

I've tried to roll back to previous Windows (GB12 came with Windows 10 1607 originally) - this solves the issue, but the Windows Update Assistant immediately starts updating to Windows 10 FCU (1709), and I want to keep Windows up to date with security updates, so cannot stay on older version of Windows for long.

Without Samsung Book Settings app I cannot adjust the Pen pressure curve.

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Its the Black Nib. the pre-loaded black nib I find has higher activation force. There should have been a nib pack included with additional black ones and grey ones. Try the grey nib. Its sharper and feels like your stabbing the Galaxy Book with a Tooth Pick when you put down heavy pressure, but the IAF is lower.

Oddly enough...the Staedtler Norris Pencil....which also uses the same black nib preloaded has a lower IAF then the S-pen with the same nib. I think it has to do with the fact that the Norris pencils recoils the nib further into the pen then the S-pen.

And its hard to find, but the older and now discontinued Bamboo Smart Pen for Samsung Devices works flawlessly on the Book. Like 0 IAF, and much more comfortable to use thanks to the bigger/rounder last gen nib.

yodamiked, WillAdams and DRTigerlilly like this.