Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

In this case it seems the logistics was the problem and if you help Amazon to show they have a legitimate claim towards a distributor they pay hundreds of millions a year they will give you more than their full attention.

But you're right, for just a replacement a photo is not really required.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

2. andya147

andya147 Scribbler - Standard Member

a question to testdrive7 m like you and don't use the keyboard .does the uag case cover the vents at the top of the Samsung book 12..i love the tablet but not keen when sketching on the sofa with the supplied stand and keyboard

3. testdrive7

testdrive7 Pen Pal - Newbie

UAG case partly covers the air vent at the top of the SGB12 tablet, see attached image, but the air is flowing freely as the Samsung tablet is slightly thinner than the Surface and there is room for air to escape. I haven't had any trouble with it. I really like the UAG case for my SGB12, kickstand works perfectly. If you do not use earphone jack, the only thing that may need some adjustment in the UAG case is the inner space between the 'power button' and the 'volume rocker'. There is a slight bump there that works fine for Surface, but pushes one of the SGB12 buttons down, I've used a screwdriver heated on the stove to smooth out that inner bump.

vents1.jpg vents2.jpg

fishdavis and thatcomicsguy like this.
  4. wytn

wytn Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey, thanks! but it was already solved with Amazon for the lost item :)

it's just that Amazon couldn't send me back the same item (third party vendor shipped by Amazon) and i wanted to perhaps try to get something that could work better with the USB-C of the GB, just in case (that was my question, sorry if it was confusing). But i ended up ordering another brand from Amazon yesterday anyway when i realized i could still get it on monday.

And btw no this time i didn't take a picture! When a package is damaged, i do it every time, but this one, the package was completely fully open on two sides (the Samsung box being "free" in it...), i didn't need to open it more than it was anyway, the Samsung box was "sliding" out of it on its own and it's actually the delivery person who got it out showing me the problem... we checked the state of the GB10 with the delivery guy in the street - :/ - a bit in hurry (not his fault). I still kept the Amazon box in its exact same state, just in case (he was going to dump it in the trash that was next to us), but uhm..

The Amazon representative still asked me if i took a picture of it but there was no problem anyway, they're still reimbursing me this 7 euro item haha. I know that for these kind of things, there's no problem to sort it out with them.

I found time to do a few more tests earlier and i'm finding the pressure sensitivity to be (a lot?) better than on my Thinkpad Yoga... i'm not really sure, i would need to really compare again with the same softwares/tools etc... And as i haven't drawn on the Yoga in a while...

So far everything seems good. 10.6" is perfect for me. I'm still / mostly afraid Windows 10 is really really consuming a lot of RAM (I mean, especially compared to Win 8 that could run on a 1gb Tablet..). But i also haven't tried to disable a lot of stuff either yet...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  5. Unej

Unej Pen Pal - Newbie

can you try quickly to install windows 8 and install the samsung drivers to see if they work on w8, especially the OSD ?
    If you can , you can update the non-samsung drivers, like wifi, with SDI https://sdi-tool.org/download/

6. wytn

I thought about doing that (although i don't know of SDI, i'm going to take a look), but not just right now as i only have the 64gb version (They don't sell the 128gb in my part of the world) so i can't really dual boot (~30gb left with Win 10 installed? It should be theorically possible but...) and i'm not too keen of making several reinstalls just right now. But it's definitively something i may attempt a bit later, i will see...

i think it's also possible to install Win 8 on an external USB drive, although i have never tried it and i believe it's not officially supported and can be a bit tricky (?), i'll try to look into this again, it could be a good temporary solution just for testing!

I'm going to see what Samsung drivers are available on their support page also, first...

(And hm, for a Kabylake gen proc (it's a Kabylake CPU right?), Win 8 requires a patch for post-Skylake support... But yep it's not really a problem, the patch works well. -- I mention this just in case.)

edit: first results, i found this
    https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/58616-wintousb-install-run-windows-usb-drive.html

Anyone already used it?

i could use a free 64gb flashdrive i have... I will see that. (i'm still waiting for the USB-C to USB-A adapter.)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  7. Unej

Unej Pen Pal - Newbie

the drivers by samsungs are here
    https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/galaxy-book-10-6-wi-fi#manuals
    on the line ''software'' click ''see more'', then DL the file of size 430MB

also, for windows update, just run http://www.wsusoffline.net/, select the OS and the kind of updates like ''security updates only'' and it downloads the latest ones. then you go to folder ''_____\wsusoffline\client'' and run the executive.
    You can DL those updates on a different PC or usb key, than the one you want the target PC

wytn likes this.
  8. wytn

Thanks, the update thing may be useful indeed, for the drivers i already got them earlier.
    Question tho as i didn't get it, what did you mean exactly about the OSD? (I know it's "on screen display") But.. which OSD? Something from a Samsung tool?

edit: You meant the "Samsung OSD" process? What does it do? Is it the thing that's opened by default with the pen button?

9. Unej

Unej Pen Pal - Newbie

yes the oSd is when you press the blue FN keys. The volume and the luminosity will likely work with pure windows drivers, but I do not know about the other function keys. Generally, the manufacturers offers specific drivers for those, but I do not remember if samsung has them in their folder. Perhaps they are all built in windows already.

10. koz2050

koz2050 Scribbler - Standard Member

So, I just read this post today, and coincidentally had an Amazon package delivered about an hour ago. A few minutes after the package was delivered my iPhone dings and there's a notification from the Amazon App on my screen with a message saying "your package was just delivered" along with a photo of the package AT MY FRONT DOOR!" Is that crazy or what!??

Bronsky and Kumabjorn like this.