Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Unej

Unej Pen Pal - Newbie

you can try this key

http://rmprepusb.blogspot.fr/p/is-new-sandisk-extreme-pro-31-usb-flash.html

Is the new SanDisk Extreme Pro 3.1 USB Flash drive any good?

Summary
    If you boot to the grub4dos E2B menu and only use a lot for small ISOs and utilities, then use the cheaper 3.0.
    If you want to boot to VHDs or transfer large files frequently, use the Pro 3.0 which was markedly faster than the 3.0.
    If you can spare the extra $10-$20, go for the Extreme Pro 3.1, it is significantly faster when copying large files (but under grub4dos it slightly slower than the 3.0)! Prices can vary, so shop around!

When choosing a USB drive for WinToGo, USB booting or transferring lots of small files, it is important to look at the 4K Random Write benchmark figure - this should be around 10MB/s or better.

BEWARE: Some USB Flash 3.0 drives may have very fast Sequential rd/wr speeds but appallingly slow 4K Random Write speeds of below 0.2MB/s!

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Half of the ones which died of mine came from generic companies in China. The other half had their warranty info tossed with the packaging, cost $20 or less and the receipts are in a box somewhere that I refuse to spend my time going through more than once per tax season.

I had a teacher in high school who advised, "The way to win against bureaucracy is to make it a hobby, not a mission."

I guess I just have different hobbies. For me, I generally only spend time stressing over warranties when it's an expensive, mission-critical item.

3. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What did Bill Gates say about 640K being enough for anyone?

"In 1996 Gates denied that he made the remark [...]. He also questioned the existence of any solid reference for the statement [BGLA]:

"'Meanwhile, I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There’s never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again.'"

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/09/08/640k-enough/

Oh. Nevermind.

And.., damn! That chip has more memory than one of the external HDs I have next to my desk!

5. sdlnv

sdlnv Pen Pal - Newbie

So, I have a problem. My windows installation is f**ked. It is not a device fault but of a very old .bat script which deleted some windows files probably due to some incompatibilities and bad programming, I stopped it once I realized it was deleting stuff in the Windows folder but it was too late. (It was probably created for Windows XP, shame on me for not checking it well enough)

Anyway, I get a BSOD on startup so I cannot boot into windows. I downloaded a W10 .iso and I discovered something ugly: I did try everything and there is no way to boot from an USB device.

By pressing F10 I can select the Boot order, I get the following screen

Select Boot Device:
    - Windows Boot Manager
    - Enter Samsung Recovery
    - Enter Microsoft Recovery
    - Enter Setup (brings you to the BIOS, you can do the same by pressing F2)
    - Enter QR Mode

There is no Boot from USB option, I disabled "Secure Boot Control" and "Fast BIOS Mode" but nothing changed. I did try using either MBR or GPT on Rufus for the USB Drive partition scheme.

I did some research and this was a problem with some other Samsung notebook/tablets too. I hope a Reset with the integrated Windows Recovery tool will be able to fix this (reverting the machine to a previous state failed).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Windows Reset failed too, my only option left is the Samsung Recovery which will bring the device to factory settings. At least I can say that the Samsung Recovery tool looks well made and I was able to selectively (very welcome) backup all the folders I needed before proceeding.

I'm finishing the data backup to an external HDD and then I will to do a factory reset.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    thierryb likes this.
  6. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm still messing around with this tablet before I return it. so far the only drawbacks I can see is that it gets hot at times. But not too hot. Seems like the fan runs at a speed that is pretty easy to ignore even when it is running hard. Sometimes it seems to get hot and other times it stays cool when I am doing the same task, not really sure how or why that is, but certainly not a deal breaker by any means.

The only other thing I am concerned with is that I have heard about this OLED screens getting burn in. Has anyone here experienced this with the Book 12? I think even the chance of burn in won't dissuade me from buying this when I can actually afford it, but it is my only concern about this device after these past few days of testing.

As far as illustration goes, the only difference between this and a cintiq to me is the smoothness of the screen. So for people who like a slick screen to draw on, I think I'd recommend this over any portable Wacom device.

I feel like I would hesitate to put a matte screen protector on this to give some resistance, but the thought is tempting as the only significant difference between these devices to me is the screen texture.

But a few things that really blow me away so far. The color depth is amazing due to being OLED. The battery Life is light years beyond other portable Wacom devices that only get near 2 hours. I can draw for extended periods of time and not run out of battery life. And the Palm rejection is fantastic. I don't even need to wear a glove to avoid accidental marks. And the folio case actually is sturdy enough to rest my hand on while drawing, which was surprising to me. I assumed the magnetic stand would slip around more if I put the pressure of resting my hand on it. Samsung has really made an amazing device for illustrators.

WillAdams likes this.
  7. Unej

Unej Pen Pal - Newbie

I do not have this option of ''Enter Samsung Recovery''' on my GB10. DO you have a GB10 or GB12 ?
    Also, did you try the Microsoft Recovery before the samsung recovery?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  8. sdlnv

sdlnv Pen Pal - Newbie

GB12, yes I did try that but nothing worked except the Samsung Recovery which reverted evetything to factory settings. I plan to use that tool to make a new restore point so I won't have to reinstall all the updates if something happens in the future. An "in place upgrade" with the USB key would have probably solved that too but unfortunately I couldn't find a way to boot from USB.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  9. sdlnv

sdlnv Pen Pal - Newbie

The OneNote UWP app just had an update adding tilt support and it does work really nice with the Galaxy Book too!

[​IMG]

I thought that the S-Pen didn't had tilt support o_O

Marty, WillAdams and thatcomicsguy like this.
  10. Ilker Bishop

Ilker Bishop Pen Pal - Newbie

Guys do you know how to install book settings? I formatted my galaxy book recently. But I cannot install the installation file downloaded from samsung site for book settings program. There is a setup.bat file but it didn't do anything. Btw, although book settings is in Windows Store, it says in the store that this app should be installed on your hardware.What should I do?