Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Hi guys, good call, sorry for the confusion. That was a screenshot from my ThinkPad Yoga 12, which is already over 2.5 years old. On a new Galaxy Book it should show very little wear.

2. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

So I bought one of these things and I'm almost annoyed at how good it is. Makes me really regret buying my Lenovo Miix. Now I have to figure out how to afford this thing I just bought, otherwise I am bringing it back until I have enough for it.

I see why Azzart thought putting the stability at 100 sounded odd. This pen works on a completely different level than the AES ones, and turning stability up that high actually doesn't feel natural. Where I almost need it there with the AES pens. But with the stability around 20, it feels perfectly natural to me, and I am not experiencing any of the flicks/hooks that I get with AES pens. I would dare say that I could see myself doing all my professional work on this thing, and it makes me think buying a Cintiq Mobile Studio Pro sounds like a ripoff compared to what you get for half the price with this device.

I wish it had normal USB ports, but I guess USB C is the future.

Anyway, this thing is fantastic, and after completing my tests I don't think I could ever recommend and AES pen device for any artist. I'd also put this device on par or above the Ipad pro, and on par or above my wacom cintiq 13hd. If someone was going to ask for my recommendation for a digital sketchpad, this device comes in right at the top.

3. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, quick question for anyone who might know. Is it possible to plug this device in to act like a monitor? Or is there software akin to the kind available for the Ipad pro to turn this device into a make shift cintiq?

I am seriously debating selling both my Miix and my Cintiq to afford this device. And if there is a way to connect it to my main monitor, then I think my Cintiq just became obsolete.

4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There used to be a program called Maxivista for that sort of thing.

Dweam likes this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have the 13inch Mobile Studio Pro....and honestly I'm using the dinky Core m/4GB of Ram 10.6 Galaxy Book way way more. With a majority workflow in CSP....it has so far taken almost everything I've thrown at it....and this is the weakest model. The 8GB/i5 Book model could easily replace a MSP from a work flow perspective.

Regarding the USB-C ports.....while I too wish my 10.6 had a Type A port (it's certainly thick enough) ....its lone USB-C port is quite good. I have an older Lenovo Lt1423p 13-inch display/touch/pen monitor (poor man's cintiq) that I bought to use with my Surface Pro 3. The Monitor can be powered from a single USB 3.0 port...but a usb spliter is included in case you're port can't provide enough power.

My Surface Pro 3's sole USB 3 port.....could not.....had to plug the extra USB into a portable battery pack....the the monitor worked horid with my Pro 3.

For ****s and giggles I tried running it off my 10.6 Galaxy Book....needed a Type C to Type A adapter.....but that single USB-C port was enough to power the monitor fully. At full screen brightness on both devices....got about 1.5 hours of power. Was quite impressed with just how capable the 10.6 Book is.

Dweam likes this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If you're thinking of getting into the Samsung drawing tablet world, I'd recommend first looking at the Notebook 9 Pro.

You get a much bigger screen, more memory, a dedicated Radeon GPU, two regular USB ports plus a USB-C and the price difference isn't that big. In fact, it's currently LESS expensive; Samsung is right now selling their 8Gb base unit for only $899 new!

https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...-pro-15---256gb-ssd--8gb-ram--np940x5m-x03us/

(Just make sure you get the 15" and NOT the older 15.6" model. The older one doesn't have pen input.)

The only downside is that you have to buy the full sized S-Pen separately. The one which comes in the machine's stylus garage is a small toothpick pen; good for quick things on the go, but not really suitable for drawing. The full sized S-Pen is much more comfortable to use. They're $39 on Samsung's site.

Basically, the N9P is a slightly less awesome version of the Wacom MSP 16. -The screen isn't 4K, and it is .6 inches smaller, and the pen doesn't have the full-on Wacom magic wand treatment.

But it's also about 1/3 the price, AND you get a dedicated 2-in-1 keyboard built right into the unit. -Not to mention, Samsung's hardware Quality Control is friggin' top notch. I haven't seen a single complaint about faulty gear with this model.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  7. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Pretty sure I will be taking this tablet back, even though I have already fallen in love with it. I just cannot actually afford it right now, but my curiosity has now been satiated. I'm pleased to know there is finally a device that hits all the marks I have been looking for.

I will consider the laptop, but I do really like the small form factor of the book. I draw very small as it is, and the I can basically draw pages at 100% zoom on this device without feeling cramped for space.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

It's absolutely possible. You need a device with Windows 10, Miracast support, and both devices need to be on the same wifi network. Using the Windows Connect feature, you can turn the Galaxy Book into a wireless screen. The best part is that this connection passes pen pressure through, so it really is turning your screen into a wireless Cintiq!

It's not perfect, since the speed will depend on your wireless network speeds, but it's pretty great. It's how I plan to retire my T901. It can be projected to, even if it can't project (no proper Miracast support, sadly).

WillAdams and Dweam like this.
  9. sdlnv

sdlnv Pen Pal - Newbie

I was thinking about expanding the memory with a MicroSD card, how reliable are those things nowdays for everyday use on a PC?

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Very, and they are huge. 400 GB for $0.5/GB.

sdlnv likes this.