Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. testdrive7

testdrive7 Pen Pal - Newbie

@Azzart
    I have the S-pen that came with Galaxy Book 12 and the results in Microsoft Sketchpad look identical with pen being vertical or tilted at the maximum possible angle - is it different with the Staedtler Noris pen?

[​IMG]

Sent from mTalk

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't think either pen supports tilt.

[EDIT] Brain freeze. Both the S-Pen and Noris Digital support tilt.

3. testdrive7

testdrive7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Lisa mentioned and demoed tilt support in her review of Galaxy Book 12 (starts at about 5:20), mentioning that tilt is supported in Photoshop and Samsung Notes.
    I just tried Samsung Notes - there is a bit of "tilt" with the pencil tool, very subtle, as it is hard to achieve any real tilted angle with the S-pen.

[​IMG]

Azzart likes this.
  4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Exactly as I said: it's just too subtle to be be of any practical use.
    Even Clip Studio Paint supports tilt, it just isn't worth it. :)

surfaceproartist likes this.
  5. phositadc

phositadc Pen Pal - Newbie

Received a 12" GB yesterday. I'll save my impressions for later, as I have not had a chance to use it a ton yet. Three quick questions though:

1) Has anybody ever had a key on the keyboard pop off? My F2 key just came off, and I'm not quite sure how to get it back on. Does not look like any of the plastic bits are broken, so it seems that I should be able to get it to reattach but I can't figure out how, and I don't want to muscle it too much.

2) Does pulse-width modulation at low brightness bother many people? During evening web browsing sessions, I'm generally in low-lit room, and 30-40% brightness is easily sufficient. Last night I noticed some eye fatigue/headache symptoms after about 5 minutes at 30% brightness. Yikes! Today I've been at 40% for the past 30 minutes or so and it seems to be better. But I'm a bit concerned about last night's experience. Hopefully an outlier.

3) Do people notice wild swings in predicted battery life? Sometimes I'll hover over the battery icon and it will say, for example, 85% with 11 hours remaining. And then 3 minutes later I'll look again and it will say, for example, 84% and 6 hours remaining. I assume that the 6 hours remaining estimate is more accurate than the 11, but nevertheless, the wild swings are a little annoying.

6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can only sort of address point #3 --- when I first got mine, the battery seemed to go through some sort of calibration process --- once it finished that it seemed more accurate.

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

That, plus in the early days Windows is working hard indexing things and running updates. Those are power intensive tasks that significantly influence battery life. You could install BatteryBar Basic (bottom of the page here: https://batterybarpro.com). It adds a battery icon, and if you hover over it with the mouse pointer you'll get current usage and average runtime. In the example here (from my 2.5yr old ThinkPad Yoga 12) you can see current discharge rate (about 10W), and predicted remaining time. You can also check the task manager to see which apps are working so hard, and possible disable them if you're sure you don't need them.

Edit: to clarify, this screenshot is just an example from my old ThinkPad Yoga, not from a Galaxy Book
    upload_2017-12-3_10-54-1.png

8. Mytabletacct

Mytabletacct Pen Pal - Newbie

Your battery wear of 15.7% on such a new device seems very high.

JoeS likes this.
  9. sdlnv

sdlnv Pen Pal - Newbie

I think it is wrong, mine shows 0% of 39270mWh which is correct considering that the advertised capacity is 39.04Wh.

JoeS likes this.
  10. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a lot Azzart and Comicsguy!

I am thinking of buying one of these soon. I think my assessment of AES pens is now pretty accurate. EMR is just the way to go for now. Makes me wonder why any artist would buy the Microsoft studio for 3k only to have a sub par stylus to work with.

Also out of curiosity, has anyone had burn in problems with the screen? I've heard of that happening some with this device.

thatcomicsguy likes this.