Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I can give it a try but... why setting the stabilization to 100 while doing a cross hatching to begin with?
    (I would daresay why using any stabilization over 30% in normal use when the pen has no jitter at all but I guess we're all different)

2. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a lot for the feedback. If you do get around to uploading a screenshot of the felt pen tool test, I'd still greatly appreciate it. But this reply gives me a good idea of where we are at with CSP and EMR vs AES pens.

I actually can replicate this problem even on my Cintiq, but only if I am basically doing stippling or very short hatching at great speed, but the hooks are barely noticeable, and they only happen once in every few dozen strokes. So erasing a bad line is no problem if I only have to do it rarely. But with the AES pens, its pretty much the majority of strokes, and as you saw in the example they are very noticeable. So it is definitely something to do with the stabilizers and their ability to tell where your pen just was vs where you put it down. The EMR ones just don't have the same amount of lag, so this doesn't seem to be a problem with them.

I am also super interested in the Galaxy book because of the OLED screen. it seems like it might be a perfect tool for checking final colors on comic pages.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

It depends on the tool, but for certain things I just like the result I get with the stabilizer at full. Having it at the third setting is also a spot I like to draw with, but with the stabilizer as low as 2, the problems I am getting occur.

Also, I have not been able to use this device. I am comparing it to mine. AES pens have a lot of jitter, the lines feel correct on my device at full stabilization, but they get these hooks in the lines because of it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  4. moonlight60

moonlight60 Pen Pal - Newbie

just sayin'.....I wish I could sketch like you guys :)

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Okay! I performed the test and uploaded the results:

[​IMG]

This was all done using the "Tablet PC" option in CSP's digitizer preferences. I haven't changed the image resolution; this is the image as it was on my screen at 100%.

Man! I never use the stabilizer at 100% -Writing that "@" symbol took several tries with the stabilizer on. It didn't like me drawing fast curls!

Normally I work with the stabilizer set at around 10-25%, but I'm not sure it's even necessary. I don't really notice it being on at that level. I might just turn it off and see how tonight's ink work goes.

Anyway, I hope that helps!

EDIT****

Nah. Stabilization on at "4" (0ut of 10) seems to give me the best results on the G-Pen.

Dweam likes this.
  6. Azzart

@Dweam
    Mine using wintab and stabilizer set to 100.
    20171203_012133-1826x1134.jpg

You can see there's some hooks here and there but those have more to do with me going very fast and not coordinating well than anything else.

Dweam and thatcomicsguy like this.
  7. testdrive7

testdrive7 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd like to see if my Galaxy Book 12 s-pen supports "tilt". I cannot see "tilt" in Ink Workspace using pencil tool or in mobile OneNote using pencil tool. I have Microsoft Wintab driver installed and so not sure, if that matters or not. Any advice on how to see "tilt" in action, if it is possible?

Sent from mTalk

8. thatcomicsguy

I tried out Expresii

No tilt awareness. -But it's a neat little program regardless. When you hold down the stylus button, you can easily change the brush angle. But on the N9P anyway, there's no tilt sense.

-Which is not to say that Wacom's tech doesn't allow for tilt. I was surprised to learn, after years of use, that the old Penabled styluses from the first and second gen tablets of olde could in fact provide tilt/angle information. (I found this out when I was messing around and managed to trick my Cintiq into accepting input from one of my spare Toshiba tablet pens). Wacom just chose to artificially limit it through their driver or possibly the OEM sensor board they sold for laptops. -Probably so as to make their top tier devices look more attractive.

Gawd, Wacom, that kind of paranoid control freaky behavior is why your company is suffering today. If you'd played your cards right and trusted more, you might have your tech in every Microsoft Surface device right now!

9. Azzart

There is tilt, even on windows own sketchpad using the pencil.
    It's just too subtle to be of any practical use anyway.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

Cool! I'll have to noodle around a bit to see how to get it going.