Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Unej

Unej Pen Pal - Newbie

there is no GB10 with more RAM than 4gb?

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

There are two ways to get right click working...

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...windows-10-and-spen.72302/page-21#post-504736

I currently use Radialmenu. It works. I have mine set to perform a hover click.

And there's this method, which I have not tried:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...-discussion-thread.71795/page-223#post-506870

fatpolomanjr likes this.
  3. aunsafe2015

aunsafe2015 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi folks. I've skimmed the entire thread and am about to buy a 12" model. Primary use will be standard MS office type work (connected to external monitor), web browsing, and PDF reading and annotating using S pen.

Now that the device has been available for several months, are owners generally still happy? Do owners recommend the device?

I owned a 2017 surface pro for a little while but it had bad backlight bleed, and in general there just seemed to be systematic QC issues that made me lose confidence in the device, so I returned it.

Any feedback appreciated!

4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It is my second-most favourite machine ever, tying w/ my NeXT Cube and NCR-3125 --- the only thing which beats it is my Fujitsu Stylistic ST4121 (it's hard to argue w/ well over a decade of service, and the transflective display spoiled me, and I'll be blunt, I prefer Windows XP to 10) --- bought it though, 'cause it seemed the closest I'd get this generation to a replacement (and the screen is reasonably viewable in sunlight w/ adaptive brightness on).

- love the Staedtler Noris Digital Stylus (regret attaching the loop for the stock stylus)
    - love the screen, and esp. actually black black pixels --- wish the resolution was even higher though --- doubled to 200% is too low-res for most apps, and while 150% looks okay, it bothers me a bit (only run one app, Freehand MX where that's an issue)
    - the keyboard folio case has been better than I expected, don't remove it much
    - system is hotter, and fan runs more than I'd like, and it's not quite dead silent once it gets going (though it starts there)

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's a funny thing about the Galaxy Book that I've noticed too. I rarely detach the keyboard. Is it because the magnets are so strong?

6. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

Shipping took about a week or less it was shipped via FedEx

Nope no taxes paid shipping to the USA, I would have had to pay taxes if I shipped to Mexico.

LTE signal is comparable to my Galaxy note 8

Not sure about the warranty, I´m crossing my fingers I don´t need it. I will try to keep my GB away from moving vehicle tires :)

Not sure about French but there was a very long list of languages available

WillAdams and Bronsky like this.
  7. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

8. testdrive7

testdrive7 Pen Pal - Newbie

After going with a New Surface Pro earlier in the year (and I liked all about it, apart from the inking experience), I finally got myself a Galaxy Book 12. I do not use a keyboard with tablets (only during a setup) and I really missed the kickstand of the Surface Pro and as the Surface Pro and Galaxy Book 12 are virtually the same size, I'm using a UAG case for Surface Pro 4 with my Galaxy Book 12, as it fits the Galaxy Book 12 well and has a kickstand and a neat pen holder. UAG case is slightly lighter then the Samsung Galaxy keyboard cover (0.36kg vs 0.42kg), and it does make the tablet thicker, but as Galaxy Book 12 gets pretty hot at times, the case protects you from that heat. You may need to make one or two holes in the case: one for the headphone jack and one for the rear camera - only if you need it, it is pretty easy to take the tablet out if you do need to use the rear camera.

UAG_case.jpg

fishdavis and WillAdams like this.
  9. moonlight60

moonlight60 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had my 12" since August and I still love mine. I hardly ever detach it from the keyboard, but that's because 12" is too big for me to use as a tablet. 10" would be the perfect size for me, but I wanted the higher specs and backlit keyboard that only come in the 12".

I don't notice mine getting hot, but probably because I don't hold it as a tablet.
    I'm completely happy with the keyboard, I use it on the couch all the time or across my legs on the couch and have never had issues with it being flimsy, but I hover when I type, I don't rest my hands on it.
    The only time I even notice the fan is if I happen to touch the top when it's running and can then feel the slight vibration...I don't know, I barely notice the things that seem to bug people.

I use mine for surfing, email, and work...by work I mean lots and lots of documentation. I'm a sys admin at work, so I can't run my applications from it, but I use Office a lot, Outlook, Word, Excel and Visio, plus Skype meetings. Video and sound work great.

It was an expensive tablet, but so far I haven't regretted getting it or wished I got something else.

10. testdrive7

testdrive7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Can someone who had their Samsung Galaxy Book's firmware updated recently, please check what Firmware driver version they have? To check go to: Device Manager->Firmware->right-click "System Firmware" (can have some other name on your PC) and choose Properties->select "Driver" tab.

My Firmware version is 10.0.14393.0

Thanks.

firmware_version.jpg