Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. AJ Williams

AJ Williams Pen Pal - Newbie

When I press the power button, the device screen goes black but I still hear the fan spinning and the device is still consuming a lot of power. If I close the lid on my high end gaming laptop, the fans shut off and the device sips power until I awake it again... does this clarify the situation? Thanks for the response.

2. Unej

Unej Pen Pal - Newbie

yeah you need a usb-a->usb-c adapter, then plug your usb key when windows is ON. then you click restart+shift key and you select ''usb device or boot device'' something like.

if you want to boot on your usb key, with this tablet, you MUST use an OS which can be installed through pure UEFI, and you MUST have the boot of OS set has UEFI, not compatible mode, nor pure MBR mode in the software you sue to create the usb key. Use RUFUS or WinSetupFromUSB orSimply Boot Flash Creator 1.9
    [I think I used this one to boot unbuntu, but I used rufus to boot on windows]
    to set up your key with the OS you want to boot.

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Fans in this device doesn’t shut off instantly after you put in standby, unlike something like the Surface.
    Depending on how hot it is it can take between a few second to easily a couple minutes.
    Also, being a Connected Standby device it never really goes into the traditional sleep that other laptops use: it stays in standby ready to go as soon as you need it. (Almost like an ipad)
    After a definite amount of time it goes from standby into hibernation depending if it’s set or not in the advanced power saving options.
    Some have experienced it not entering the standby sometimes. Myself I experienced this behaviour only when connected to the dock and two external displays but that’s something that used to happen me even with the Surface Book, which leads me to suspect it’s a Windows 10 misbehavior rather than a Galaxy Book issue.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  4. RichTJ99

RichTJ99 Pen Pal - Newbie

So I am trying to reset my PC. I go into Settings, then Recovery. I click "Reset this PC".

I get an error saying:

Could not find the recovery environment
    Insert your windows installation or recovery media, and restart your PC with the media?

I had thought this would be able to do some sort of reset without anything extra. Am I missing a partition or is this typical behavior? Where do i download the ISO?

5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

had you done an update? The recovery partition might have been changed. You might have to check with microsoft (check the windows 10 download page first) or Samsung for a recovery image/iso.

6. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

7. okieiam

okieiam Scribbler - Standard Member

In Windows, there are setting to op-out update too. And more over the hardware are intended for Windows, so it interact better with Windows

8. sdlnv

sdlnv Pen Pal - Newbie

Did anyone try charging the device with those USB-C magnetic cables? I'm always scared that someone could trip on the charging cable and send my device flying across the room. They usually don't support data but only charging, I wonder if QC would still work.

WillAdams likes this.
  9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've had one in my Amazon shopping cart for a while, but haven't been able to justify it yet.

10. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member