Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

It should install like any other Windows device. I think somebody in this thread has done a clean install on their Galaxy Book and they didn't mention anything out of the ordinary, so I would assume it's not any different.

It's not Thunderbolt 3. It's usb 3.1, I think.

2. Unej

Unej Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same version. the only thing that you can do is
    -download the official iso of your version of windows 10 that you wish to install
    -download the drivers from samsung, a file of size around 430mb
    -but it is easier to re-install windows from the recovery of windows, since the drivers are already there.
    -remove office with an utility from microsoft
    https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...rom-a-PC-9dd49b83-264a-477a-8fcc-2fdf5dbf61d8
    -delete some folders from .net ''NativeImages_vXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'' in windows\assembly [but they come back sooner or later ]
    -run these commands to clean up the updates and delete the files used to go back to the state before the updates, in this order, and check the health
    Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
    Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /StartComponentCleanup
    Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
    this one deletes all the used updates, so no going back.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    sfc /scannow
    -use an sdcard and put your portable programs [like firefox] there
    -instead of restore points by windows, I use macrium reflect free to back up the MBR and C'\ partition. With this, you can launch a little program at boot to backup and restore the partition. THe backups goes on the sdcard which is disk D:\
    -for the updates for windows, you can use
    --Windows Update MiniTool 20.12.2016
    http://forum.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=5&topic=48142#2
    which is good for the drivers and to see if there are updates available
    --or better to indeed retrieve the updates
    WSUS Offline Update
    http://www.wsusoffline.net/
    which checks the version of windows, determine which updates are available and download them [and the next time there are updates, it deletes the old updates which are deprecated, since microsoft issues cumulative updates each months] and install them
    my folder of updates for w10 is like 5gb, the size is stable across the months.
    THis is program is useful to avoid downloading and installing and maintaining several updates from microsoft if you do several installation of windows.

3. Ilker Bishop

Ilker Bishop Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for ur informative comment mate. I read it once and I am still processing the informations you wrote :) . They are too technical but again thanks. Two more questions.
    Did you remember how much free space you had when you first boot the tablet after clean installation? If it is more than 35 gb I will do your method for formatting windows
    Should I upgrade to 1709 or stay with 1703 until 1709 will stable?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2017
  4. gobmonster

gobmonster Pen Pal - Newbie

Disregard! Hardkeys stopped working, was able to hard restart and get back function. Strangly did not resolve with a soft reset

5. Unej

Unej Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes I have
    35go free on C:\ without counting the 5,38GB of ''restore points by windows'' which are useless since I use macrium.

I forgot to add the method to reduce the hibernation file
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2859-enable-disable-hibernate-windows-10-a.html

I also disable the virtual memory by telling windows to use only 333MB instead of a file of more than 1gb.

For the update, I prefer to avoid it for several months. Since I manage the the updates through the progams above, I set my internet connection as metered and I do not run windows update myself.

Ilker Bishop likes this.
  6. Unej

Unej Pen Pal - Newbie

7. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No scratches on my screen. Was there sand or grit on the keyboard?

8. moonlight60

moonlight60 Pen Pal - Newbie

I put a glass screen protector on my GB12. It made it heavier, but I scratch a phone screen once, so I'm paranoid about that.

I had to do the same thing when I used that damn Samsung Updater...Is that a known problem? Was anyone else able to use it without breaking air command? Also, my Samsung book settings would no longer launch. Re image fixed it and irritated me.

9. ikselans

ikselans Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, i just had a blue screen, and nothing worked to open my galaxy book only full format and i installed Windows 10 Pro, but the problem is with the drivers specially the WLAN, i downloaded all the drivers from the site but there is no application in WLAN folder to install, can anybody just upload this file and the will be updated when there is internet, thanks

10. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

I just checked my folder of GB drivers and you're right, there doesn't seem to be a setup executable. Maybe try downloading the generic drivers instead?