Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

When I was reading up on this last year, one of the things which stood out was that LEDs can be devilshly difficult to manage colour with. -When you increase voltage, the light wave form characteristics change, so the electronics have to be very finely tuned to work right if you're using an analog dimming system. It's much easier to keep a steady colour quality with PWM.

With this in mind, I can see the value of a hybrid system. -You can provide linear dimming within a certain range where the LEDs can hold the desired colour temp, but then switch to PWM when it falls beneath the optimal threshold.

Sheesh!

It would be really helpful if manufacturers would provide some of these details! -Though, to be fair, I can understand why they wouldn't bother. It's pretty nit-picky and confusing stuff for most casual users.

I was thinking, one way of testing would be to shoot at several different video camera FPS speeds which don't mathematically synchronize and see what you get.

That is, for instance, 25 and 30 FPS both divide into 150 and 300, which would make PWM at those hertz values appear to not flicker, even though there would definitely be flicker.

Nest and vagabond95 like this.
  2. vagabond95

vagabond95 Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you know how to set srgb mode?
    I have 4 option!
    Cinema amoled
    Photo amoled
    Adaptive
    Basic
    If i set to basic( that i think is on srgb) i really have washed out colors!
    How do you set yours?
    Also guys! If u have the possibility to calibrate this Gakaxy Book 12 display with a colorimeter, could u share the result icc? Thanns

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  3. moonlight60

moonlight60 Pen Pal - Newbie

just set it to what pleases your eye. I have mine set on Cinema, which is a little over-vibrant, but I like it.

4. vagabond95

yeah i mean i like all, i really like photo amoled.. But as a publisher of web content, i have to take a screen that will match the same color profile of all display on Mobile Phones and other things. So i have to do it with standard icc

5. moonlight60

moonlight60 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm wondering about the screen dimming. I understand it helps save the AMOLED display. Has anyone noticed any degradation of their screen if they turn off the dimming, or delay it by 10 min or so?

6. vagabond95

Do you mean for saving the burning of amoled? I think if we have europe warranty and we do not damage our display, but its just display itself that goes wrong, u could refund it! Im wrong??

7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Just turn up the saturation value in the Intel graphics control panel if you feel like the colors are washed out.

8. vagabond95

Oh thanks! I will get a try! Today i try the s pen :)

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well, full brightness isn't that bright. Just turn up the room lights or work with the window blinds wide open, and you'll be fine.

I do a lot of late night work in dim environments, so I've made a somewhat bigger deal out of the whole brightness/blue light thing through my posts than it ought to be for all the daywalkers out there. :)

-Or just buy a work machine which doesn't use PWM. There have to be a few of them out there. I don't know if they have Wacom guts or not, though.

Or.., I suppose you can just grin and bear the PWM for the sake of your job. As your brain slowly fries. (Sorry.)

But seriously, it's not that big an issue. Brightness is something our eyes are designed to deal with.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    vagabond95 likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

EEET EEZ HARDER FOR SOME OF US....

[​IMG]