Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

vagabond95 likes this.
  2. vagabond95

vagabond95 Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone see a disassembly or teardown vidoe or guide for the GB?

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It's a 360 degree folding 2-in-1.

vagabond95 likes this.
  4. dstrauss

I would think it will be upgraded to the MX150 GPU - don't think they would want to keep the current low end model.

5. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

That's what I was thinking/hoping they would do plus taking the opportunity to up the spec of the USB-C so that 4K @60 would be available. I'm pretty sure I read or heard that the components of the USB-C were already capable of the higher output, but Samsung had restricted it (I could be remembering that wrong though)?

I guess Samsung are going with the CPU only upgrade because 1: it was always on the cards but they couldn't install it until the Intel release date. 2: It's a simple matter of loading the hopper with the new chip before the production run. 3: The increased marketing value of the Gen 8 badge and 4 Core's is low hanging fruit and your average punter wont see beyond that. 5: Intel may have incentivised Gen8 adoption in the wake of the new AMD processor releases?

The Gen8 chip costs a few bucks less than the Gen7.

When I was doing my Korean searches there were a number of sources that were very specific about the fact that it was only going to be a CPU upgrade. I guess there's a chance that this model won't make it to the N.American market, and the US will have to wait for a proper refresh, that brings the other elements up to snuff? We may even see an option with the soon to be new AMD mobile parts?

It's disappointing that Samsung are skimping out on two key features, which would help them maintain or increase sales of the N9P. It leaves you wondering what goes through the minds of the people who finalise the specifications? If it's the bean counters they probably want to hit the magic price points, rather than provide the best machine possible. Even if they upgraded the GPU and USB-C I doubt it would bump the price up my more than $30 bucks, and they probably don't need any retooling to achieve these upgrades?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  6. Mytabletacct

Mytabletacct Pen Pal - Newbie

Galaxy Book 10.6 is definitely plastic. I measured the electrical resistance with a multimeter.

7. vagabond95

Anyone could help me here?
    "
    The display backlight flickers at 250 Hz (Likely utilizing PWM) Flickering detected at a brightness setting of 100 % and below. There should be no flickering or PWM above this brightness setting.

The frequency of 250 Hz is relatively low, so sensitive users will likely notice flickering and experience eyestrain at the stated brightness setting and below.

In comparison: 57 % of all tested devices do not use PWM to dim the display. If PWM was detected, an average of 6272 (minimum: 43 - maximum: 142900) Hz was measured.
    "
    .i soffer of head ache in front of a screen do you think the GB will be bad for this?

8. dstrauss

I think those sites may be looking at only the 13" model, which does not use a discrete GPU - the 15" model does you a discrete lop end GPU, so unless they are going to architect the system board differently, they would have to use the MX150 part on the 15. For example, the Dell XPS 13 does not have a dGPU, and the 8th gen upgrade only upgraded the CPU.

PS - on the question of "cost" I have no clue what goes on there, other than I keep seeing reports that except for Apple, margins are razor thin, and even when a part "cost" $10, the OEM increases price by $15, especially with RAM and SSD - go figure.

9. vagabond95

What about differences between Amoled and Ips for general photography, digital art and other things?
    Like headhace or eyes hurting its better on Amoled or Ips?? Your opinions

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Non-conductive paint or powder coating?