Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

By the way @Willy330ci would you mind trying to see if you're able to gain access to the power settings of the Intel Graphics Control Panel?
    I tried some time ago but even disabling Connected Standby and installing the drivers from intel didn't make those options show up,.

2. moonlight60

moonlight60 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, that assumes that my placement was perfect and it's the pen that's off. I can tell you that isn't exactly true....where I looked very hard to place the crosshairs, the dot landed. Those were little circles! But anyway, when I write or sketch, I never have to go back and undo because of unexpected misalignment and that's what I care about.

I can tell you that with any system, you can drive yourself crazy finding imperfections with the stated specs and your real life experience. (with this tablet, I wish I was getting better battery performance) As an IS professional and a system owner at work, I've worked with a lot of hardware and they all have their quirks, but one of the reasons I like the Samsung tablets is their excellent implementation of the s pen, which I use all the time. If you are unhappy, you should return it and use the system that makes you happy...especially with a home system that you will be using for pleasure.

3. Azzart

mine in Clip Studio:
    Schizzo.png

obviously, near the edges the accuracy goes off. It's normal considering it's a Wacom EMR.
    It is still far better than what we had so far in terms of EMR digitizers with the exclusion of the last generation Mobilestudio/Cintiq Pro.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is why I like having a cursor. I find myself looking at that rather than the physical nib as the primary input locator. As long as the nib is more or less in the same pixel range and causes the cursor to move in a consistent way, line control becomes intuitive. Before I got lazy with calibration, I used to deliberately offset the cursor so that it was never covered up by the pen nib, allowing me a level of visual control beyond what even pen and paper can offer. That's pretty cool, though not such a big advantage that I kept up with it.

People who really want their physical nib connection to be the primary control point would probably do better with AES, which is by design always spot on.

moonlight60, WillAdams and Tams like this.
  5. Willy330ci

Willy330ci Pen Pal - Newbie

No Dice!

Azzart likes this.
  6. Jawad

Jawad Pen Pal - Newbie

My only gripe would be that based on my observation samsung notebook 9 pro screen is much better calibrated for the precise pen input compard with galaxy book. But because I want a tablet-first device I went with galaxy book. I am hoping someone does a review on the pen accuracy of galaxy book and compare it with notebook 9 pro or even surface pro 2017.

7. Jawad

Jawad Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the latest AES really more accurate than latest EMR? I thought AES was just a cheaper version of EMR

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's a trade off.

EMR is more reliable in terms of line quality. Cursor jitter is either minimal or virtually non-existent on a well-tuned device. And the system doesn't need a pen battery. But the downside is a sort of drifting cursor offset; where you drop the nib isn't always where the cursor is, and it changes depending on what part of the screen you're using. You might have perfect alignment in the middle, but an offset near the sides. For some people, this is annoying as hell. Personally, I found it took some getting used to, but if you can absorb that design quirk, you're good to go. It will not affect your artwork.

AES offers nib-to-cursor alignment which is very tight right up to the edges of the screen, so the cursor drift problem is gone. And it IS cheaper. -The downside is that both N-Trig and Wacom's AES systems both suffer from the jitters. At slow-to-moderate speeds, you can't reliably draw a clean line. -It's not an EM interference issue, (the cause of jitter on EMR), rather it's a sensor issue. There are dozens of permanent sensor 'holes' on every AES screen appearing in a grid pattern. If you move your nib over one of those spots, the cursor will appear to jump. If you draw over such a spot fast enough, the software will assume a straight line. If you go slowly, the jump will register in the line. It can be worked around, but I find it annoying as hell. AES also requires a quadruple 'A' battery in the stylus.

So.., measure your wants and needs and take yer pick.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    jvloyola and Nest like this.
  9. Azzart

The drifting on the side in the current emr is nowhere near as bad as it was with the old penabled devices and cintiq line, you have to concentrate to notice it.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. Azzart

I can't compare with the Notebook 9 since I never even saw one, anyway I posted here on this thread a short review of the pens on the Galaxy Book almost a month ago now:

Going to post a full 30 minutes artist review of the machine in english probably tomorrow.

Regarding the Surface Pro 2017, my experience with the pen was so awful I sent back the machine for a refund. You can also find on my channel a video of me ranting about how bad the experience was, but it's in Italian I fear.