Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Nest

Nest Pen Pal - Newbie

Also confirming that Civ 4 works beautifully with touch on GB 10 (non android game).

2. Hellybob

Hellybob Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I have had a bit of a Galaxy Book saga.

I am in the UK and pre ordered a GB10 LTE 4GB RAM for £729. It worked fine for about 30 days and then it would not start up. I took it to my local Samsung shop and they tried all the work arounds that they knew. It didn't do anything.

I logged a call and because it was over 28 days old (by one day I think) I had to send it away to be repaired. This took ages to be picked up as the official UK repair place did not have the new model on their system.

They then could not allocate an engineer to the job as it was a new model. After days an engineer was assigned and they found out that the main board and LCD part had gone. However, after days they could not obtain the part from Samsung to replace this. After 2 weeks in for repair, and lots of chasing, they said I could have a replacement.....but there were none in stock. I spat my dummy out a bit and they then offered me an upgrade to the next LTE model which is the GB12 8GB and 256. I received it this morning (after another week).

I have not had much time to play with it to compare the two but it is obviously bigger and heavier but it does run buttery smooth.

I am chuffed that I have a unit that is worth twice the amount I paid but to be honest the whole experience has been a complete pain from start to finish. Another thing I don't understand is when they upgraded the replacement I could still buy the GB10 LTE on the website where I placed my original order. I told them that but I soon piped down when they told me the upgrade!

thatcomicsguy and Nest like this.
  3. Nest

Nest Pen Pal - Newbie

Another review (I have the galaxy book alert on Google news) that I mostly agree with: http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-book-10

Where I disagree - bezels are fine and the flash memory is fine for all of my purposes. I agree that the speakers could have been better implemented.

rundell likes this.
  4. Hellybob

Hellybob Pen Pal - Newbie

I also found that the pens were slightly different in the two units. They are the same size but the GB10 came with a plastic clip saying Samsung on and the GB12's clip is metal.

If anyone wants a GB10 LTE cover let me know as I still have that one.

5. anergos13

anergos13 Pen Pal - Newbie

nice review...my only question is about the performance.
    what is light work for example? if you have 3,4 apps open and a browser with few taps the multitasking is smooth?

in the keyboard is there a selection for flying mode just like tab s2 ,tab s3?[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  6. Nest

Nest Pen Pal - Newbie

Light work is excel and multiple word documents open at the same time with wifi off.

The hardest I've run it outside of gaming has been with 3-4 excel documents open, 2-3 word documents, one PowerPoint, Onenote open, and 4-5 firefox tabs open at the same time and it ran smoothly. Actually I haven't really noticed any lag since I received it but I don't do any 3d editing or artwork.

There is a flying mode button on the f12 key.

7. anergos13

anergos13 Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for your answer....

I see what you mean..Im waiting a review for using apps like Photoshop or Lightroom ...to understand the power of the tablet

8. yeah_mike

yeah_mike Pen Pal - Newbie

The review says the GB10 only has 802.11n wifi instead of 802.11ac. Is this true?

9. bierot

bierot Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much for the links and your useful additional information as a user

Nest likes this.
  10. shinkamui

shinkamui Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd like to ask some of you harder core wacom guys, especially you @surfaceproartist , as I know you can answer this:

My gbook12 pen is decent, and I like it, but I want more buttons and the rear eraser. I'm debating buying one of the cintiq pens, as I like the button layout + eraser. Which version do I need to buy to ensure Im able to continue using tilt (if the pen generation matters) and are there any issues or concerns with using said pen with the gbook? Tracking offset, parallax issues when drawing tilted, general annoyances, etc.

Additionally, has anyone heard any news about the feel drivers? I've still not heard back from samsung or wacom myself. What about the touchpad/keyboard sleep issue? Im still affected by this, and in fact, my touchpad is no longer functional as a precision touchpad with gestures...

On a side note, I've seen chatter about radialmenu being rather functional on the gbook. Im considering reinstalling it, though I had lots of issues with it and the SP3 which pushed me to justice's TabletPC pro, which I dont like. Can anyone who's using radialmenu give me the skinny on a few points? Is multitouch working for art dock functionality? Hows the crash situation? Any observations worth noting?