Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The most important point to protect your battery, do not not let it be low. I never go below 20% by automatically hibernating at 20%.
    Batteries don't like continuing charging when at 100%, but much much less than being low.

Nest likes this.
  2. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, I use the battery extender and imho it's not snake oil. It's more important if you tend to run your unit from an AC supply most of the time (which I do). I also try to remember to run the battery flat one a week or so. If you intend to use your device on battery on a daily basis or very frequently then it may not be as useful?

Having said that none of my past machines had battery life long enough to make it worth me relying on the battery and there is also a performance hit. The current generations of machines such as the GB have much more useful battery life, and increased performance so my use of battery may change when I upgrade? In which case I may not rely on the battery saver all the time and only switching it on if I intend to use AC for an extended period.

Nest likes this.
  3. moonlight60

moonlight60 Pen Pal - Newbie

that makes sense. I'll be on battery power at home, but when (if) I bring the GB to work, it would likely be on AC sitting on my desk. That's what I did with the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition (which is the device I'm coming from). When I wasn't using it to take notes at work, it sat on my desk plugged in with a slideshow of my photographs. I'll remember to turn the battery extender on when I do that.

I've had my GB for 3 days now and I like it more then I thought I would (I love when I buy something expensive and it works every bit as well as I'd hoped). Originally I wanted the 10" because I think that's the perfect size for a tablet. I got the 12" 8g ram because I wanted the higher specs and backlit keyboard, and the size is the only thing left to "get used to". It's too big to really use as a tablet, so it will likely stay on the keyboard. I'm really happy with the keyboard. I don't use it on my lap, but I use it all the time on the couch and it performs nicely on the soft surface. I do not rest my hands on it when I type though so I don't see any of the flex people talk about. (you shouldn't type like that anyway...geez ;) I do have to keep the cat off it though...she is used to just walking across my work lap top when it's open on the couch. It's inherently more delicate than a laptop, but it certainly isn't the cheap piece of crap I've heard people call it.

Azzart and Nest like this.
  4. bierot

bierot Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm looking for Galaxy Book 10.6 in-depth reviews. The only ones I found are shared with the 12 model, and don't provide actual performance and battery life information of the smaller device. Does someone know about some in-depth serious reviews of the GB10 model?

Thank you very much in advance

5. Nest

Nest Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't completely agree with this review but you can check this out:

http://www.silicon.co.uk/mobility/samsung-galaxy-book-review-218929?inf_by=59918fc7671db8c6368b4741

I do not think that the indent for the connector on the bottom is uncomfortable, the connector is fine and I am happy with the stability.

You may want to also check out the Amazon reviews for the 10.6 which are pretty spot on.

For the battery, I get about 4-5 hours at 100% brightness with wifi-on doing moderate tasks (Microsoft Office work, reading, watching a movie). At 50% brightness with wifi-off I get about 8 hours doing moderate tasks. When asked, I compare it to my old Surface Pro 4 battery life.

So far I have been extremely happy with the device and it actually has replaced my laptop and tablet. I should also say that I am not an artist but regularly take notes and the pen is simply phenomenal.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    anergos13 likes this.
  6. Nest

Nest Pen Pal - Newbie

Also, one thing I missed from my tablet was games that relied solely on touch that are not really available on Windows. I've found that AmiDuos works perfectly for running Android/Android games alongside Windows on the GB 10.6 and use it whenever I am in the gaming mood.

7. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting... so it works well enough to run any Android app? Any gotchas or klunkiness? How about Android apps for things like Facebook, Linkedin, etc..?

8. anergos13

anergos13 Pen Pal - Newbie

what's the performance of GB10 when using Adobe Photoshop portable for example....?
    with light use of the program....not to heavy use....

thank you

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  9. Nest

Nest Pen Pal - Newbie

It works great with Android apps - but I've mostly just transferred my games and not social media (would rather keep that on my phone). It runs pretty smoothly and Baldurs gate 1 and 2, Icewindale, Settlers of Catan, Vaimglory and Dungeon Village work as expected. Kingdom Rush does not load health bars. From what I read, 96% of tested games run as expected but I don't know what they used for their sample. You can try the 30 day free trial. What sold me was that it's sold by American megatrends which makes the bios for the GB, so I'm assuming they know their way around the system.

WillAdams likes this.
  10. Nest

Nest Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry, I don't use Adobe Photoshop Portable so I can't address this.