Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I took a little drive over to that far north jersey Best Buy and snagged the 10.6/64GB Model.

My first impression......dear god this thing is Fat. The Tablet itself isn't....that bad.....but with the Keyboard/Dock/Cover......Contraption.....it gets big.

The Keyboard Contraption weights as much as....if not more then the tablet itself. When "booked" together....the 10.6 Galaxy Note is thicker then my Surface Pro 3 with Type Cover. While the smaller 10-inch frame was ideal.....the thickness and weight almost negates that benefit. Doesn't help that I popped into a Microsoft Store right after and held the new Surface Pro....now that's an impressively engineered tablet. Holding the fat and heavy Galaxy Book, to then holding the thing, light, and beautifully balanced Pro 5 with Type Cover.....Can't say I didn't have almost instant buyers remorse about plunking down for the Galaxy Book.

So that aside.....With the Galaxy Book.....the Screen is beautiful....despite not being Super Amoeld or whatever....its still got a very nice screen.

The Pen performs fantastically.....loaded up Clip Studio and it feels almost as good as using my Mobile Studio Pro. Fast, responsive......EMR is still the king of pens in my book.

The 10.6 inch keyboard is a bit cramped....(of Couse that I expected) but its still a very nice keyboard. Have no problem typing with it at all...and I like the springy feel the keys have.

After installing Clip Studio only.....I have 32GB of Emmc storage left on my "57.5GB" Emmc. Kind of hesitant to throw Photoshop on here.....but I forsee that Micro-SD card slot coming in handy real soon.
    The Landscape bezels are a bit slimmer then the portrait ones....so holding the device in Portrait mode will feel a bit odd.
    Overall....aside from the Weight and Thinkness....I'm enjoying my book thus far.

2. testdrive7

testdrive7 Pen Pal - Newbie

I was really excited about getting GB12 with Wacom EMR, but after reading that it does not support Wacom WinTab driver, I'm not sure if the GB will support pen pressure in programs I use: Adobe Animate CC and Leonardo drawing app. As I'm in Australia and we'll be ordering from States, I am scared to get the very expensive device that will not do what I need.

If anyone who has GB already could please install the trial of Adobe Animate CC and Leonardo drawing app and try with GB SPen, to see if the pen pressure is working, I would greatly appreciate it. In Adobe Animate CC you'll need to click on Brush tool and on the "Use Pressure" tool (see image) to activate Animate CC pen pressure.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

And the pictures are where? I'll be interested to see if you keep it.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just tested Leonardo and Pen Pressure works great on it. Generally when a drawing software outright advertises to be used on a Surface Pro....by default that usually means Wintab need not apply.

I did notice some tools like the brush tool and the smudge tool.....the program took forever to calculate the pixels....and the canvas would distort when being drawn on....is that the norm with this program? Or does it not like Core M's?

Animate CC on the other hand.....(which took up almost 10GB on my remaining 32GB)......Does not like the Galaxy Books.....I couldn't find the pressure icon you posted in the pic, and Adobes FAQ on the program says that the Pressure and Tilt options would only be visible on the toolbar if they were supported by your system.....so yeah....unless Samsung puts out a wintab driver or Wacom includes the Galaxy Books in the next Feel Driver update.....(either is quite possible).....Animate CC does require Wintab....so no go for the Galaxy Book.

It also ran really laggy on my book and the interface didn't see to fit properly. But I guess that can be chalked up to the Core M & 10.6 screen.

5. testdrive7

testdrive7 Pen Pal - Newbie

darkmagistric - thank you so much! I truly appreciate your help. I have not seen the pixel calculation delays in Leonardo smudge or brush tool on my Cintiq 13, but some glitches do occur in Leonardo as it is still officially in 'beta'.

Yes, the "Use pressure" button in Animate CC will only be present if the pen pressure is supported.... no GB for me then.. Will wait and see if the New Surface Pro has really improved its pen IAF / low pressure curve experience...

Thanks again.

darkmagistric likes this.
  6. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Oooo, good to hear about the GB10's screen! Question: does the included pen have a spring-loaded nib? Galaxy Note S-pens all have spring loaded nibs and I hate it so much. It's really put me off using the s-pen altogether.

Also, if you calibrate using an older EMR pen, how successful is the result?

WillAdams likes this.
  7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

AFAIK what causes the offset in older EMR pens has to do with the distance from the sensor in the pen to the digitizer in the screen. The older pens have a larger distance. I am not sure calibration alone would solve that.

Hopefully one of the other users can clear that up definitively.

8. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't have my GB12 fully set up yet (all the software I use), but I am loving this device. I realize each user has different needs and likes, so my comments or others' comments on this device (or any device) will be, at least to some degree, subjective. I'm not an artist so that is an area where I'll have little to say.

I take written notes, and this thing is a dream come true in that regard. Smooth, buttery in fact. Of course, palm rejection is excellent.

The screen is exceptional in every way I can think of, and the 3:2 aspect ratio is perfect for me. I do office work in addition to just personal stuff on the GB12, so the aspect is great for what I do.

I find the keyboard as good as any I've used. Again, each to their own, but I can do as well with is as I did with the keyboard on my Surface Pro. No issues at all. Trackpad is great - not as smooth/slick as on my HP Spectre 360 or the Mac trackpads, but I have no issue with a little bit more drag on my finger. Point is that it is accurate and does exactly what is needed.

I, for one, love the folio cover. It feels good carrying it with the GB12 nestled inside. By the way, the magnets are very strong so the folio stays on without a problem. The folio has a nice grippy surface so it's easy to carry. Again, good magnets keep it secure against the tablet front and rear so it's not going to open up without some effort. I don't mind the 4 positions for the tablet offered by the folio. For me, they work. Since the folio seems more stiff than the ones I saw in various review videos, I'm finding the only issue with it on my lap is the same issue I had with my Surface Pro; unless you have longer thighs you might not have enough room for everything to set flat if you want to type. I would say the kickstand on the Surface line is a bit more stable on a lap, but the GB12 isn't unusable on the lap as some might think.

If you use the included loop for your Spen, you will NOT lose it unless you lose your whole GB12. Once you slide the pen through the loop to where the pocket clip on the pen properly engages past the loop, that sucker isn't coming off there without determined effort on your part. I guarantee that if you threw your GB12 with pen attached into a golf bag and drug that around all day, the pen would still be attached!

Of course the hardware works as you would expect. Smooth, powerful, ready to handle what Windows typically handles. I haven't used the cameras yet so no opinion there.

One thing...for whatever reason I just wasn't thinking about connectivity. I love the two USB-C 2nd gen ports, but you're going to need a USB-C to USB-A adapter/dongle. I'm sitting here without one at this point so I'm using the 128GB mSD card that came in the box with the GB12 (!!!) to transfer some data and software from my desktop to my GB12. However, dongles are in my future! Don't mind them since I had to use them with my Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3 as well (just different dongles). I've already done a little research so if I would want to use my GB12 in place of my desktop I could get a 2nd gen USB-C dock where I can run 3 monitors (I don't use three but I do use two) along with all the other stuff and charge my GB12 off the dock. Who knows, I may go that direction one day. In the meantime, I'm clearing house of all my other devices (my wife has the 2017 15" Spectre 360 now that has all that luscious hardware - she's had her eye on it since it landed here, my grandson gets my Surface Pro 3, which he'll use in college, and friend of the family's daughter in high school will get my Surface 3, which is still chugging along quite well, and I haven't made up my mind about my GTA10.1 yet (Android tablet with Spen). It will probably go somewhere soon since I can use my GB12 for all my note taking chores. That will put me back into a two-device realm (not counting my iPhone), which will simplify my life let me tell you. I might even go for a GN-whatever with my next phone too...who knows?

Sorry for the long-ish post. Just wanted to say that I am really loving the GB12!

DRTigerlilly, thatcomicsguy and Marty like this.
  9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

What's your other device, out of curiosity?

And I think you'll love the Note phones, if you liked the general design/build of the GB12 chassis and folio (and of course the S-pen ;)).

Personally, I am thinking the GB12 and Note 8 will be the perfect travel duo combined with a high-capacity, high-current USB-C charger (if anyone has better recommendations please let me know).

Using this setup, I think I might be able to bring the net travel weight under 2kg (4.4lb), with all-day battery life on both devices!

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

One thing I would like to know is how they were able to use such strong magnets and don't affect the emr digitizer with them.