Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Keyboard sold separately? Where? Looks fishy to me. My bet is US gets to tether unless you go GB12, and then I think Lisa may be right - it is a Verizon exclusive...:mad:

2. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Lisa, if you haven't heard of FreedomPop's free data SIMs, grab a few for your testing purposes. You can choose between AT&T and T-Mobile towers. You'll always have something around to check, at least for GSM.

3. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

I always have SIMs from the big 4 handy since we review quite a few phones. It takes a bit more than just popping a SIM into a Verizon branded device-- after determining what LTE bands are supported (won't work without bands), there's inputting the right APN for each carrier. Takes time.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I really appreciate your dedication and hard work, but a I think a lot of business users are going to want the 8gb/256gb model, which doesn't come with LTE for Verizon (or otherwise). Very interesting everyone is going to tethering (as I have) BUT big carriers' new Unlimited Plans either prohibit or restrict tethering - good old days all over again - the carrier giveth and the carrier taketh away.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. bill-e

bill-e Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm pretty sure that the SIM is built into the GB 12 LTE....at least I've not been able to find it.

6. MobileTechReview

Watch my video review-- I point out where the combo nano SIM/microSD card carrier is located.

7. bill-e

bill-e Pen Pal - Newbie

Ahh, I even installed a microsd card, never turned the carrier over to see the SIM ;)

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Release update.....still Pre-Order purgatory for the 10-inchers....but some stores are showing having the i5/8GB/256GB model in stock

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/ta...-2-in-1-pc--wi-fi---silver-sm-w720nzkaxar-buy

Unless Staples, DataVision, and Adorama all shot the gun....they have the high end model in stock.

Just to point out, that Samsung page for availability for the 10-incher does list in stock at a few, but if you follow the links the pages themselves, they do still list pre-order status. The DataVision site is especially cruel because it opens up "Add to cart" but then refreshes into Pre-Order. But the 8GB/256GB Model in-stock bit does indeed seem legit.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.
  9. harrodeleted

harrodeleted Pen Pal - Newbie

So I have the galaxy book 12 (with 4 gigs) and I've been using it for the last two days. (got it for cheap off someone who accidentally got two)

This thing is actually pretty great. I use clip studio paint, so I can't speak for photoshop users, but I've experienced zero slow downs, and in fact as far as I can tell the system has never maxed out the ram.

Keyboard feels good, trackpad feels good (the click part on the trackpad is meh).
    Screen is, of course, great, and the pen is the most responsive wacom pen I've ever used.
    The only downside is that I can't use the gray felt nibs with the s-pen.

It's actually strange using it in only tablet form, because you cannot believe that a full OS could be living inside.

Edit: Also it only ran hot once when lots of system updates were installing. But even then I couldn't hear the fans.

2nd Edit: Something to be aware of (for people coming from non windows systems)- is that when you think something may be going wrong (internet slowing down, computer getting hot, etc) in 100% percent of these situations so far it's been windows downloading massive updates in the background without telling me. But really- so many updates!

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  10. MobileTechReview

I've tested a few carrier SIMs on the Verizon version of the 12" Book. Windows 10 has a good APN database, so there's generally no need to manually enter settings-- pop the SIM in, and it works (if the bands are available on this LTE only wireless card).

AT&T works!
    T-Mobile doesn't, and I really didn't expect it would have their bands.

On another note, I finally found a UWP "Book Settings" app that handles a subset of what the old Samsung Settings desktop app does on other Samsung Windows devices. You can choose from their usual selection of display color profiles and there's a Pen setting that lets you decide whether the pen's button launches Air Command. There's also a battery life extender setting.

dstrauss and harrodeleted like this.